Thread: Nazareth House childrens home Crosby

Smile Nazareth House childrens home Crosby

Does anyone remember Nazereth House in Crosby, I beleive it is a Nursing home, I was put in there in the late 40's not good memories, run by nuns!!! Although I was born in Liverpool I have not lived there since the early 50's my brother still lives there, so if you have any info, I would really like to get my documentation on my time there, thank you in advance

Blog Entries

As you are new. Might I point out that you can find what you post under, 'today's posts'. A link near the top of the page, but in the meantime...

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...?42908-Looking

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Another tangent that came up while I was looking for information is this sad, yet related, tale...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maudsley

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Weiss View Post
    Does anyone remember Nazereth House in Crosby, I beleive it is a Nursing home, I was put in there in the late 40's not good memories, run by nuns!!! Although I was born in Liverpool I have not lived there since the early 50's my brother still lives there, so if you have any info, I would really like to get my documentation on my time there, thank you in advance
    Hi Victoria,
    I would guess that Sefton council will hold any records,now! You have a right to access any existing information,so here's an address you can contact.

Data Protection and Information Security Officer,
    Sefton Council ICT Client,
    4th floor,Magdalen House,
    Trinity rd.
    Bootle. L20 3NJ.

Telephone - 0151 934 4416 E-mail - richard.roscoe@sefton.gov.uk

Good Luck!

Many thanks for the info, will start asking questions, it will be interesting to see what my documentation has to say!!!! Victoria

Many thanks for the info, will start asking questions, it will be interesting to see what my documentation has to say!!!! Victoria
    But only if it still exists,much gets lost or damaged,over time! A friend, had the job of sorting countless boxes of records,many of which were not in very good, legible, condition,so don't expect too much!

Hi,, I am desperately trying to trace some history of my auntie who still lives at Nazareth House - her name is Vera Mendes...was she there when you were there??

MY MOTHER WENT TO NAZERETH HOUSE SHE WOULD NEVER SAY MUCH ABOUT HER TIME THERE, BUT SAID IT WAS VERY CRUEL PLACE, I REMEMBER MY MUM SAYING THE NUNS WERE VERY CRUEL, WHEN VISITORS CAME TO SEE THE CHILDREN THE GIRLS WOULD BE MADE TO DRESS UP SMARTILY WITH WHITE BOWS ON, THEY WOULD PUT WHITE TABLE CLOTHS OUT ON TABLES , BUT WHEN VISITORS LEFT IT WOULD ALL BE TAKEN OFF. MY MUM WENT INTO THE HOME AS HER DAD HAD DIED AND HER MUM HAD TO WORK. VERY SAD HOW THE CHILDREN WERE TREATED.

Sounds very Draconian and like the way the Magdelaine girls were treated in Ireland a while back.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Sounds very Draconian and like the way the Magdelaine girls were treated in Ireland a while back.
    "a while back"

A while back a large proportion of many if not most homes was set aside and kept pristine, for visitors only, funerary rites etc.
    I was not uncommon for best suits and such to be redeemed from the pawn for high-days.

Also, cruelty to children is often a learned response..."they knew no better."

You can take the kid from the playground, but can you take the playground from the kid?

We should not, IMHO, spend our lifetime 'feeling' the pain of the dead. Better to strive for a pain-free future.

I think on the film of the Magdelaine (sp) girls, some of it on youtube, it says at the end that the institution was only closed down in the 1980s - yes, so not that far back at all.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa80 View Post
    Hi,, I am desperately trying to trace some history of my auntie who still lives at Nazareth House - her name is Vera Mendes...was she there when you were there??
    Hi I can't reembers any names as I was only around 2/3yrs of age, I just have lots of dreadful memories of very Cruel Nuns, especially Mother Superior. not good times at all!! I just want to get any documentation they may have about me. Hope you find out your History. Regards Vitoria

I actually got an address for me to write and get information about my stay at Nazareth House in Crosby in the late 40's. I can't believe the answer I got back, They said they did not keep records of children who were not there long, I was told I was there for about 3yrs ( long enough I think) also a canon Bennett advised my admission to the dreadful place. The last paragragh of the long reply hoped the letter was helpful Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Not at all still lots of questions left unanswered but I will carry on, all the nuns bar one were very cruel and one nun even abused me, so how could they say they hoped the letter was helpful, Typical Catholic (Ostrich syndrone)

Blog Entries

I don't know if this will help you in any way Victoria, but it is out there...

http://annfreespirit.yolasite.com/nun-on-the-run.php

I actually got an address for me to write and get information about my stay at Nazareth House in Crosby in the late 40's. I can't believe the answer I got back, They said they did not keep records of children who were not there long, I was told I was there for about 3yrs ( long enough I think) also a canon Bennett advised my admission to the dreadful place. The last paragragh of the long reply hoped the letter was helpful Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Not at all still lots of questions left unanswered but I will carry on, all the nuns bar one were very cruel and one nun even abused me, so how could they say they hoped the letter was helpful, Typical Catholic (Ostrich syndrone)
    Hi Victoria,
    sorry you've not received the info' you were expecting,but have you thought of applying for your social service records? There may be something about your stay at Nazareth house,held by Liverpool council! I've recently received my own,and though hard to decipher the writing,has been of great interest to me,after 40 odd years!!