Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool railway pics

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    Bloody great pics Mike. I can honestly say I haven't seen any of them before, they really all should be put together in a large glossy paged book.

Will you be showing a selection of Chatsworth Cutting pics when you put the model on display?
    yeah well have some pics on the layout,

most of them pics are actually from books that my dad or i have collected over the years-

an illustrated history of liverpool railways, by paul bolger, excellent rare book

various, eric treacy books

shedside on merseyside

backtrack railway magazines

the late jim peden collection- jim used to sell photos at model railway shows

transport in liverpool- the colour pic of bank hall shed on the railway stations thread

snappel i always get that road mixed up

got more pics to come soon, again i just dont wanna get in trouble over rights etc

mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mike delamar View Post

got more pics to come soon, again i just dont wanna get in trouble over rights etc

mike
    You won't Mike, as long as you say where they are from.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Great! I am looking forward to seeing more - when you can.

cool then, lime street, taken from books mentioned above

we'll start with oldest first

mid 1930s, showing the loco turntable in the right corner, and also the old signal box in the centre behind the train

1950s

early 1960s,

and 1966, once the wires had been put up for the electric trains, the wires went up in 1962 although steam was still used into lime street until 1968

screenshots taken from dvd reshaping british railways, note the old taxis parking in the centre of the platform,

mike

Default New Member

Happy New Year!

I've found my way to this list by some devious route but spent a fascinating few moments poking my nose into all sorts of places. I was born in Liverpool but moved away 45 years ago and now live just outside Chesterfield.

For more years than I care to remember I have planned to make a model railway based on Bankhall Engine Shed and the tracks in the vicinity. I was delighted to find the pictures of the Scot outside Exchange and the details of the stonework above the ex-LNWR tracks at Kirkdale. I tried to follow a link in one of the earlier posts to a (fotopic) site which I understand contains pictures on Liverpool railways but the link seems to have expired.

So, my request is to ask if anyone has any photos or other details of the railways in the Bankhall area (especially the shed) in the 1950s and early 1960s.

All the best,

David Catton

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

hi dave my site may have what you are looking for www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk just look for the right photos in my photobucket page which is linked from my oldliverpoolrailwaty site i too iam on the look out for photos round that area i would love to see your photos round that area expecially kirkdale also the bankfield goods tunnels that have been lost for many years now

good pics, I really liked the now and then pics, really interesting, maybe we could have a now and then section, I was brought up in the 60's /70's and left for NZ in 89, on the times when I have been back I have noticed massive changes that have taken place gradually and people who have lived through the changes barely notice them.

Default Old Railway pics

For more pics with railway content, check out Unseen Liverpool thread, where I am posting my old Liverpool collection.
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirob View Post
    For more pics with railway content, check out Unseen Liverpool thread, where I am posting my old Liverpool collection.
    And they're pretty good too

Default Railways.

23-03-08.

I grew up in Melrose road kirkdale, and had first class views of kirkdale station, and sidings, from our attic window, but didn't find any of it interesting until now, when a goods train went through at night, it was always 10-00 on the dot. Our houses shook, they came out on the Grist Street track and disappeared into a tunnel a bit further up the track, I often wondered where they went to and how long they were under ground.
    Trust and you will be trusted, said the Liar to the Fool.

That Melrose road section near the buildings (or billogs to the local kids) was known to them as 'the raller'.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Fazakerley photos

Hello all, I'm obviously new to this forum although I've been viewing for a while. Anyway, there used to be a link in this thread to a site with some great shots of the Fazakerley Parkway depot and the Aintree Shed, container base etc. but it seems to have gone. What's happened to it?
    Great forum, by the way

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

trains are mad today so loud and fast and so many every few minutes think they are missing sandhills and kirkdale and walton and orreil park seems daft all them years ago we had 3 stations serving aintree all from different lines now there all cramed onto 1 line and 1 station i thought the future was sopose to be better not worse? do merseyrail use the other lines such as bootle branch from lime st though the north mersey branch to aintree?

Not sure I follow you. How do we miss Sandhills, Kirkdale and Orrell Park? I follow your comment about Aintree, but they will never be able to reinstate Central because a) the site has gone and b) it's not economically viable. I like the idea of joining the Northern Line to Aintree on the CLC as it goes under the Northern Line, but were to from there? Do you reinstate the whole line through West Derby, Childwall & Gateacre because I don't reckon many people would get the train at Warbreck, West Derby or Knotty Ash to get into town via Hunts Cross. How about creating a northern loop from Aintree through West Derby etc. on the CLC and it joining the City Line at Broad Green and doing similar with a southern loop from Broad Green through Childwall and Gateacre on the CLC through Hunts Cross and back to the city.
    Re-opening Aintree Racecourse is a non-starter, I just don't think people would use it.
    I think the re-opening of the Canada Dock branch is a great idea and from what I've heard is in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
    Hello all, I'm obviously new to this forum although I've been viewing for a while. Anyway, there used to be a link in this thread to a site with some great shots of the Fazakerley Parkway depot and the Aintree Shed, container base etc. but it seems to have gone. What's happened to it?
    Great forum, by the way

http://philhughesaintreeandbootlerai...s.fotopic.net/
    http://kerry9621.fotopic.net/ only a few here now while he revamps the site.
    http://brlocos.fotopic.net/
    http://jjm.fotopic.net/c919309.html
    http://jjm.fotopic.net/c834678.html
    http://flusky.fotopic.net/c51712.html
    http://smigspics.fotopic.net/c900605.html
    http://petesrailnonsense.fotopic.net/c1039545.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast