Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool railway pics

@Mike.

I would love to see some older pictures of Edge Hill Station. I can never find any. I do have some footage of it on video but only fleeting glimpses.

I thinks its strange that with this being on the West Coast mainline into Lime Street ,and also at the foot of the famous Grid Iron, and with the carriage cleaning and freight storage sidings, that there isn't a whole ton of photos of this scene.

You wouldn't believe that Edge Hill once had a station canopy.

It's sad that there's so little left...

not a problem sir

1950s when the station still has the canopies, and the large goods warehouse on the right

got a few more of edge hill somewhere, ill ave to dig em out

mike

one of the prototype deltic diesel loco hauling the merseyside express at edge hill in the early 1950s

the two pics where taken by the bishop of liverpool, eric treacy

mike

Wow!

Will you just look at them! They are amazing!!! What a scene!

Cheers for that Mike, thats just made my day!

I never knew that good shed existed, though the entrance to it is on the corner of Tunnel Road and Wavertree Road isn't it.

Cool!

yeah theres superstores there now

can see the grid iron railway lines in this pic

mike

PhilipG

The photos are absolutely wonderful.
    And this is coming from someone who doesn't know much about trains and railways.
    If you'd like to add the photos to "Old Liverpool" (see link below), please, PLEASE, do so.
    Thank you.

yeah, but only thing is that they aint mine, copyright and all that

mike

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    @Mike.

I would love to see some older pictures of Edge Hill Station. I can never find any. I do have some footage of it on video but only fleeting glimpses.

I thinks its strange that with this being on the West Coast mainline into Lime Street ,and also at the foot of the famous Grid Iron, and with the carriage cleaning and freight storage sidings, that there isn't a whole ton of photos of this scene.

You wouldn't believe that Edge Hill once had a station canopy.
    I've got LOTS of Edge Hill station pics....I'll dig em out!

edge hill was such a complicated area for railways, so have to bare with us here

blasting out into edge hill station from lime street in the early 50s

edge hill station in the 1960s, this jinty tank engine is about to push this train of vans up to the top of the gridiron. smoke is billowing out of waterloo tunnel in the background

this is looking the other way than the deltic diesel pic, taken from smithdown road in the early 60s, can see the gridiron sidings going up on the left, and the wagon repair shop on the left

a bit further along, and you can now see smithdown road bridge in the background, the gridiron is on the right, this train is heading towards manchester, the lines curving away to the left head towards wavertree and then london.mid 1950s

further down still and this is the site of the new wavertree technology park station, taken in the mid 50s, the first bridge is a railway line on the high level goods line, the next bridge is rathbone road

going back to edge hill, this train has taken the line to london, and is passing edge hill steam shed on the right, early 1950s

edge hill steam loco shed, in 1952, the gridiron sidings are in the background

the turntable at edge hill in the 50s, the shed building is in the background

loco spotters on edge hill shed in the late 1960s

more to follow shortly

mike
    Last edited by mike delamar; 04-19-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Mike, wonderful pics mate: Can u make sure you mention the source of the pics when posting? Cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

yeah no probs sorry,

they are either eric treacy, or jim peden if im not mistaken, i scanned them a while ago so ill dig em out and check the exact details

mike

Bloody great pics Mike. I can honestly say I haven't seen any of them before, they really all should be put together in a large glossy paged book.

Will you be showing a selection of Chatsworth Cutting pics when you put the model on display?

Quote Originally Posted by mike delamar View Post
    loco spotters on edge hill shed in the late 1960s
    That's just amazing! My dad's mate in the 60s used to get rides on the Std 4 tank that marshalled the local yard! Back when health & safety was down to common sense.

Amazing photos Mike, you're a star for posting them up! They're really something special. So far on the web I just haven't seen many decent pictures of that area. I moved to Edge Hill in 2001, and noticed bits of railway here and there, but when I bought a 1905 map reprint of the area I was blown away! It's hard to believe what used to be there.

One minor point though, the bridge/road you refer to as Smithdown Road is in fact Wavertree/Picton Road, which runs more or less parallel to Smithdown.

It is amazing Snappel.

I have the map you are talking about and the amount of railway in the area is just massive.

Its great to look at the Mike's pics to see just what it was once like, it was a hive of activity.

Now it has been streamlined there is hardy anything left, everythinig is overgrown.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast