Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool railway pics

Default Old Liverpool railway pics

dont know if this has been on here before

but this guys got loads of great old pics, some from the 60s of steam in colour!!

http://kerry9621.fotopic.net/show_group.php?id=4275

mike

Some great pics there Michael, thanks for that. Some of them before my time (ahem!).

Some good ones of Central Station too.

MDHB No 16
    Liverpool - 29/12/56

MDHB No 14
    Liverpool - 29/12/56

CEGB 0-4-0ST
    Liverpool - 29/12/56

The photos are from this web:
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/53amodels/ind.htm

hi there brilliant them marie, ive seen loads of liverpool docks, but never them ones,

love them

thanks

heres some ive scanned from a few books,

on old "pug" loco going passed the 3 graces in the late 50s, after the overhead railway was torn down

just round by where i live, Aintree on grand national day in the early 60s, the line on the top has gone now, look at all kids watching

and a model of a pug and pubs by liverpool model railway society

mike
    Last edited by mike delamar; 04-18-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks for the photos Mike.

A couple of years back there were a couple of yellow Merseyrail painted class 73's parked at Birkenhead North depot. They were looking a bit neglected. Any idea what they were used for (I'm assuming general maintenance/permanent way) or where they went (again, I'm assuming they were cut up)?

Cheers.

EDIT: Googled it...

Merseyrail formerly had four Class 73 electro-diesel locomotives for shunting, sandite trains, engineering works and other departmental duties; two of these had been repainted in the yellow livery of the previous franchise holder. These locomotives were sold to a preservation company in 2002
    Wikipedia

Last edited by snappel; 04-18-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Thanks for the photos Mike.

A couple of years back there were a couple of yellow Merseyrail painted class 73's parked at Birkenhead North depot. They were looking a bit neglected. Any idea what they were used for (I'm assuming general maintenance/permanent way) or where they went (again, I'm assuming they were cut up)?

Cheers.

EDIT: Googled it...

Wikipedia

thats right they where for maintaince, used to see them at hall road, crosby, and kirkdale,

usually they where saw out during the winter times when the "sandite" trains ran to de ice the track,

theres a pic of one here sandwiched between an old class 501 unit for diicing at kirkdale in the late 90s

http://mark5811.fotopic.net/p31952764.html
    no most of them got saved and preserved some are on the severn valley railway steam railway and keighly and worth valley railway, been painted back in there old liveries, one did get scrapped but for spares for the other ones

this is the one that got scrapped, used to see in a corner of kirkdale for years

http://mark5811.fotopic.net/p28662140.html

one at birkenhead

http://tims-train-photos.fotopic.net/p3241452.html

and here are some ones that got saved and are now run on preserved steam railways
    http://community.fotopic.net/search/...ab=P&txt=73005

mike

Excellent, thanks very much!

Blog Entries

wow - what excellent links
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

no probs snappel

to be honest i like the old steam the best,

another bit of liverpool history, the last ever british rail, mainline steam train ran from liverpool lime street in august 1968, the fifteen guinea special,

anyone who wants to see what it was like to drive and fire them, should have a look at this, proper mans job, the same type of engine that was used on the special and where a common site in liverpool up to 1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXVhefeMMc

i know an old driver of them, who used to be at bank hall, and edge hill sheds and am always asking him questions about them

mike
    Last edited by mike delamar; 04-18-2007 at 06:06 PM.

my fave pic on that site is this one, a "scot" loco leaving liverpool exchange in the mid 1960s, these are the arches you can still see from the train now, between sandhills and moorfields, theres a row of railway vans in the background on the line that is used now between moorfields and sandhills, and can see the liver buildings in the top left corner

mike

Great photo Mike!!

Blog Entries

^^^^ Who took the pic Mike? Fanbloodytastic
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    ^^^^ Who took the pic Mike? Fanbloodytastic
    a gent called ted baxendale, his son has put them on his fotopic site

http://kerry9621.fotopic.net/c1217314.html

he took one looking the other way aswel, looking towards sandhills, can see the big tobbacco warehouse in the background

and one of my local station orrell park, a "black 5" loco on the front of this train heading towards ormskirk, this is when you could travel from liverpool exchange to preston/glasgow

mike

@mikedelamar

I can see why that picture is your favourite, it captures everything from Liverpools grimy north central dock area, the steam era and in colour too.

You also can't help wondering if it was normal in the 60s to park your cars in the middle of the road or are those two cars bottom-left about to collide head on!!!

couple of now and then pics, the "now" ones i took myself around 1998 the "then" pics are from railway magazines

aintree on grand national day , the bridge over the top is bull lane, orrell park, this train is heading towards aintree central station which is now gone, used to be around the sight of the new littlewoods,vernons on park lane aintree, this pic is 1961. this part of the line has now been made into a cycle path to halewood.

and walton on the hill tunnels the original pic taken in the 1930s looking towards walton on the hill station,

the modern one took by me in the same spot, you can just see the top of the tunnel above all the rubbish, on the top left of the cutting is the petrol station on brewster street, i am standing inside one tunnel as im taking this pic, there where actually 3 tunnels along this line, with short openings, one end is kirkdale station, the other is under walton hall avenue flyover.

i walked along the platform at kirkdale station and in to the tunnel to get this pic

mike
    Last edited by mike delamar; 04-19-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast