Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Slum Clearances Housing Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Dozens here including some uploaded today.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=44922707&cr=7

a truly fantastic collection brings memories back of when I delivered lino and oilcloth all round these areas. Often offered a tip. On one snowy winters day I was once offered a whisky. I would have been about eighteen at the time. These folk were the salt of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Clarkson View Post
    a truly fantastic collection brings memories back of when I delivered lino and oilcloth all round these areas. Often offered a tip. On one snowy winters day I was once offered a whisky. I would have been about eighteen at the time. These folk were the salt of the earth.
    Very true Barry, I enjoyed my time working for your family business before you. Did they still have the big Bedford with the crash gearbox when you drove for the store?
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Dozens here including some uploaded today.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=44922707&cr=7

Hello Gad!

You can have these for your site if you want them.

They show the backs of the houses in Sherif St between Beresford St and Kermode St. Taken about 1958 from our back bedroom window (Prince Edwin St) believe it or not they were still occupied at the time.

The ramshackled outhouse seen on one of the pictures passed as a kitchen.

Note the lack of windows in the houses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backentry1a.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	6534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backentry2a.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	6535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backentry3a.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	6536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backentry4a.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	6537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backentry5a.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	6538  

A couple more! the one of the court is not my picture, but is a court at the top of Prince Edwin St, Which ran down behind the houses on the right hand side at the top of the street, taken about te same time.

Believe it or not the first picture shows what the people had as a kitchen for cooking the meals.

The front of the house had a front room in off the step, a room above that and an attic above that. No back windows to the house, except for the small window shown on on of the pictures, which gave light to the stairs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backentry7a.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	6539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Courts1.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	6540  
    Last edited by Samp; 05-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks Samp. I'll add them on.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

John(Zappa)

Good pics Samp (as usual).

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Very true Barry, I enjoyed my time working for your family business before you. Did they still have the big Bedford with the crash gearbox when you drove for the store?
    They did but I never drove it. The old Bedford must have been replaced soon after you left with a smaller bedford at the start of the 60s
    The furniture became smaller and our department less busy. The credit stores and TJs Provident cheques made for sharp competition as we were a cash trader.

Blog Entries

Some great pictures. Amazing that people lived like that. I wonder if future generations will look back at us and be equally horrified. You wonder what gave them the strength to go on. No wonder the pubs were doing good business, the pubs must have been seen as palaces.

A lot of us on here seemed to have lived in the tennies. I never thought of them as drab or run down when living in them as you knew no better but some people obviously do looking back and in comparison to what there is now although there were always nice garden houses from way back. Look at Wavertree Garden suburb.

George

A lot of us on here seemed to have lived in the tennies. I never thought of them as drab or run down when living in them as you knew no better but some people obviously do looking back and in comparison to what there is now although there were always nice garden houses from way back. Look at Wavertree Garden suburb.
    <Puts hand in the air>

Not me,me mam&dad had a house in Albion Street at the back of St.Domingo Vally...3 up 2 down and it had a bit of a garden at te front this was part of the slum clearence back in 79.

Same here, I can't say a bad word against them.

Community spirit, always something on the go - maybe just the way of the world back then but i'm only talking about the mid 70s in my case.

I knew a couple of lads who lived in more well to do areas (well that's how it seemed to me) with garden houses who couldn't stay away from the squares.

A time lost for good now it seems.

George

Does anyone believe in their fate is mapped out?

I do each day I find that I'm getting nearer and nearer to my roots.

Due to slum clearence we got moved out of Albion Street to the Cantril Farm area, I lived up there with Mam&Dad till I moved out and got me a flat near anfields ground,lived in that flat for 4 years and moved out into a house near stanley park,it seems my neighbour used to live in Ciscero Terrace which was a couple of streets away from Albion Street,by the looks of things I'm going to have my church service in St.Georges were I was christened.

Ain't that something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Does anyone believe in their fate is mapped out?

I do each day I find that I'm getting nearer and nearer to my roots.

Due to slum clearence we got moved out of Albion Street to the Cantril Farm area, I lived up there with Mam&Dad till I moved out and got me a flat near anfields ground,lived in that flat for 4 years and moved out into a house near stanley park,it seems my neighbour used to live in Ciscero Terrace which was a couple of streets away from Albion Street,by the looks of things I'm going to have my church service in St.Georges were I was christened.

Ain't that something.
    Yes George so true. My kids were christened in the same church as me and my grandson likewise. I moved away a long time ago and never thought I'd be back. Tis indeed a short road.

I've got no chance of "getting back to my roots !" my old house in Greta Street fell down !! a couple of years before the whole area was pulled down !,the hospital I was born Sefton General gone but not forgotten !, the church where I was christened St Cleopas was knocked down ,my old School St Silas is still there but not the old buildings I knew !, my old "big" school Liverpool Girls College was knocked down.... I'm getting a bit of a complex !.

George

Squiggs,its not about the buildings still standing when going back to our roots,its about living near the area we were born after being/living away from it for so many years.

Albion street which is were my youth and growing up was,is now an area of two storey maisonettes and is bismall depressing eyesore to what was once a community spirit of terraced houses..

These eyesores are still standing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast