Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1950s flats and maisonettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The above site comes courtesy of via Dave's great Liverpool Pictorial site.

Mike. I think I have some more Maisonettes to post up where you may see the entrances.
    ged that would be brilliant cheers

im just wondering what these are on the outside if anyone knows, arrowed orange??

and the green arrow is that the stairs??

just been having a look through your excellent site by the way ged, lovin your model, and loads of brilliant pics ive never seen before,

off subject sorry, ive just in the middle of finishing a model of myrtle gardens,

http://www.michael-delamar.fotoblog.net/

im doing the corner in brian savilles pic with the goods yard, sadly hes not long passed away

the model will be at Liverool model railway societys exhibiton this may some details here, http://www.lmrs.org.uk/

ive only got them masionettes and a row of the old 2x2 edge hill terraces to do now

sorry for the plug and stealing your post there

mike

That's great that Mike, I'LL deffo get along to that exhibition. I've just posted a film screening and model exhibition at Lee Jones on the Festival and Events thread this thursday if you want to go along. Myrtle Gardens gets a good slot during it, great model that. Those with the orange arrow are the balconies aren't they and yes, that's the central stairway with your green arrow.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Here's a link regarding Myrtle Gardens, yes Brian's photos from Entwistle Heights were fab weren't they. He gave me permission to use them in my third book.

http://www.minstercourt.org.uk/myrtl..._liverpool.htm

yeah tell us more, where bouts, is it a public show,day/night? because i know my dad would love to see it aswel.

quick shot to show where the masionettes are going to be going,

also apologise for off topic,

but judging by your site your an expert on all this

dya know of any pics of the backs of terraced housing in the edge hill area that went in the late 60s? im doing lissant street you see, can find pics of the front, but none of the back of them

mike

Here's a link regarding Myrtle Gardens, yes Brian's photos from Entwistle Heights were fab weren't they. He gave me permission to use them in my third book.

http://www.minstercourt.org.uk/myrtl..._liverpool.htm
    he was a real gent,emailed him a few times, he was following my progress and sent me a copy of his pic, i was hoping he would have been able to come to the exhibiton, but sadly not,

i just wish id have known about this excellent forum aswel,

i didnt realise you wrote the in a city living books, my dads just got the first one, and my mate whos helping me build the layout has got all 3, and are really interested in all this history, my dads got loads of liverpool history books

i love it, love the cars, trains, street scenes from the 50s 60s, never got to see all this history, am 23 so thought id do a model of it

mike

just seen the post,im just getting used to this forum theres so much stuff on here, getting my head around it

gutted,

ill be in work i wont me able to make it

sorry

mikr

Mike, it seems to be the in thing at the moment these models. I see the Liverpool model in the library has been extended then there's the model of what the metopolitan cathedral was going to look like in the Walker and my friend Mike Murphy who supplied many of the photos on my site made one years ago of Tate and Lyles which he still has, now yours too.

The Lee Jones screening is based at their headquarters in Limekiln Lane, just off Silvester Street which in turn is just off Scotland Road, near to St. Anthony's church. It starts at 2pm - it's free but you need to book the tickets by ringing Lesley or Joan on 207 1984.

The film lasts one and a half hours, there's usually people there who bring their own pics to show around and Lee Jones will have their own on show. Ron Fromby of the Scottie press www.scottiepress.org will be present (they're based around the corner and set this up really) and there's always a lively debate at the Q&A session afterwards.

Hope you and your dad and whoever else can make it.

Not to worry Mike, it'll be on again somewhere throughout the year, definitely featuring at the St. George's Hall big history festival in September - see my events page on the website. Why don't you contact Marcia Hughes about having your exhibition there too.

Mike, it seems to be the in thing at the moment these models.
    yeah ive got a thing for building models, be it cars, buildings, trains

think it started with watching Thunderbirds when i was a kid

reading books like yours and photos that my dad had collected made me want to do it,

i wanted a railway as got an interest in the old steam days (know a few old drivers and firemen who tell great tales )

and wanted a small Liverpool location, and searched all different local locations, and crown street fitted all the requirements especially with myrtle gardens on it, worked out at 20ftx3ft

the same fella whos doing it with me, is helping his mate, do a layout of Lime street!!! as it was in the 40s, its aprox 40ft x 8 ft complete with the hotel on the end and the cutting leading up to it with the tennements above there, its been to our show in part and will be there in the next year or 2

mike

theninesisters

Slightly older than the 50's - however I'm not sure when they were actually built.

Here is a 'what they may look like' picture of Paddington Gardens in Edge Hill.

Source - Liverpool City Council.

Attachment 2275
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Jona. I see Lancelot Herman Keay has signed that and they look like the other Mason Street tenements that were built in the 1930s - along the same lines of the Bullring nearby. Proposal drawings were made on all of these inter-war tenement developments or it could be proposed revamps that were drawn up in the 1950s including Gerard Gardens but were shelved.

mad that jona,

never seen that one before

cheers

mike

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by mike delamar View Post
    mad that jona,

never seen that one before

cheers

mike
    Hehe I'm a minefield of information on Edge Hill and I don't even live there

Grinfield Street, July 2006. (I don't see many of these flats with the round windows, though Laxey/Mill St. used to have some). The Bay Horse pub is in the background.

Great George Street, July 2006. This area has been getting cleared for the past few years.

Mill Street, Dec. 2006. This set of flats was demolished late Feb/early March 2007.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grinfield Street_July_2006.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	2276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Great_George_Street_July_2006.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	2277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mill_Street_Dec_2006.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	2278  

theninesisters

Grinfield Street - 1968.

Source Liverpool City Council

Attachment 2280
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast