Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renshaw Street Underground Passageways

Smile Renshaw Street Underground Passageways

Hi there,

Newbie on here and have read several fascinating accounts of underground passageways beneath Renshaw Street on this forum. Having poured over old maps of the area, it got me thinking whether they had some link to when Central Station was built and the approach excavated nearby in the 1800's, maybe storage facilities? I have no idea how to (legally) get any closer to these underground streets but would love any detailed info on them from anybody in the know? Also, just off topic, bit of a long shot, if anybody knows if there are any etchings, drawings available anywhere of the arcades (Roscoe Arcade and Howard Arcade) which once stood on the ground where Central Station approach is now. Cheers

Blog Entries

Hi micnic, welcome to Yo!

Here's an OS map from 1848 [LRO] showing both arcades. I haven't seen any paintings, or sketches of the arcades. There may be something in the Herdman archive?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renshaw S23.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	928.9 KB 
ID:	17564

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renshaw S24.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	864.7 KB 
ID:	17565
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Hi Micnic,welcome to Yo! There used to be a great site"Underground Liverpool", run by one of the posters on here (Fortinian?) but it's at least, temporarily defunct! It showed pic's of various tunnels,and caverns,and other underground oddities,though I don't remember any mention of the arcades in question?

Yeah, I remember seeing the photographs of the supposed underground streets but as you say, the site is no longer available. Looking at old maps and accounts of the whole area, Renshaw Street was once a ropewalk and pretty much unbuilt upon until the early 1800's so I'm stumped as to how an underground street could exist beneath the area around The Dispensary pub as the buildings presently there are presumably the originals (correct me if I'm wrong). This leads me to speculate that if they do exist then they must be forgotton cellars or maybe even underground passageways branching off from Central Stations former above ground railway line, for railworkers use maybe. But then why would an underground passageway which has never seen the light of day have windows and window ledges????

I recently attended a Paranormal Investigation with a company called Night Vision Investigations, they have access to an underground street beneath Lime Street. Either side of the street look like old tenaments, part of the slums. There are bars on all of the windows too. It's an amazing place so even if you aren't interested in the Paranormal I would definatly go along to see the street. They're doing another one on 4th December which I'm going on again this time with a few curious friends!

I smell a scam here - and in the other two threads that have appeared on a similar topic, viz underground streets, etc... But I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!

I've never heard of streets under Liverpool, and I'm pretty sure I'd remember. If today was 1st April...............well!

Websites are archived and it may still be possible to access a now defunct website via this website... http://www.archive.org/index.php

Ok, how do I upload photo's on here then and I'll add them for you to see. If you listen to City Talk on Sunday at 8pm you'll hear the investigation I was on as they recorded it for Zone Unknown with Roy Bassnet.

Add them into photobucket or flickr, copy the link from there and paste it in your reply box or if it doesn't have [img] at the front and end of the link click on the image icon in your reply and paste the link details in there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5608869...n/photostream/

I've added a few to flickr, I haven't got any pics of the fireplace unfortunately but when I go back I'll take some then. The quality isn't great due to the dust but you can get a rough idea of what it's like. Each room or shop ( whatever it was) had a second floor as you can see the posts where it would have been. Also some of the photos where taken from the rooms looking out into the back ally.

Blog Entries

cupcake, can you remember which building you entered on Lime Street?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Pic 101_2428 top window is the one in the pic here,the window can be seen just above the silver cars roof in the pic....

cupcake, can you remember which building you entered on Lime Street?
    I've asked twice,Dazza...still no answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast