YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renshaw Street Underground Passageways

Thanks

Smile Renshaw Street Underground Passageways

Hi there,

Newbie on here and have read several fascinating accounts of underground passageways beneath Renshaw Street on this forum. Having poured over old maps of the area, it got me thinking whether they had some link to when Central Station was built and the approach excavated nearby in the 1800's, maybe storage facilities? I have no idea how to (legally) get any closer to these underground streets but would love any detailed info on them from anybody in the know? Also, just off topic, bit of a long shot, if anybody knows if there are any etchings, drawings available anywhere of the arcades (Roscoe Arcade and Howard Arcade) which once stood on the ground where Central Station approach is now. Cheers

ADVERTISING

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi micnic, welcome to Yo!

Here's an OS map from 1848 [LRO] showing both arcades. I haven't seen any paintings, or sketches of the arcades. There may be something in the Herdman archive?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renshaw S23.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	928.9 KB 
ID:	17564

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renshaw S24.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	864.7 KB 
ID:	17565
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Thanks

Hi Micnic,welcome to Yo! There used to be a great site"Underground Liverpool", run by one of the posters on here (Fortinian?) but it's at least, temporarily defunct! It showed pic's of various tunnels,and caverns,and other underground oddities,though I don't remember any mention of the arcades in question?

Thanks

Yeah, I remember seeing the photographs of the supposed underground streets but as you say, the site is no longer available. Looking at old maps and accounts of the whole area, Renshaw Street was once a ropewalk and pretty much unbuilt upon until the early 1800's so I'm stumped as to how an underground street could exist beneath the area around The Dispensary pub as the buildings presently there are presumably the originals (correct me if I'm wrong). This leads me to speculate that if they do exist then they must be forgotton cellars or maybe even underground passageways branching off from Central Stations former above ground railway line, for railworkers use maybe. But then why would an underground passageway which has never seen the light of day have windows and window ledges????

Thanks

I recently attended a Paranormal Investigation with a company called Night Vision Investigations, they have access to an underground street beneath Lime Street. Either side of the street look like old tenaments, part of the slums. There are bars on all of the windows too. It's an amazing place so even if you aren't interested in the Paranormal I would definatly go along to see the street. They're doing another one on 4th December which I'm going on again this time with a few curious friends!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast