Thread: What's Liverpool's Most Haunted Place?

Blog Entries

Default What's Liverpool's Most Haunted Place?

As we're fast approaching All Hallows’ Eve [31st October], the time when night spirits, ghouls, demons and devils are at their most potent, to be forearmed, is to be forewarned! So let's prepare ourselves against this darkest of dark nights, and I invite you to consider...

What's Liverpool's Most Haunted Place?

Your contenders please...and don't forget to say why this particular place makes the hair on your neck stand to alert, and has you cowering in the corner?

1. For me, it's has to be that small passageway by St. Nicholas' church, beneath Tower buildings, close to the site of Merchants' Coffee House - a place of old sea captains, tales of distant shores, prize ship & slave shackle auctions, and in the shadow of the Tower of Liverpool and St Nic's graveyard. The place gives me the heebie jeebies and makes me come over all lily-livered.

Any others (or are you too scared?)

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

I love walking around the Canning Street/Falkner Square area on winters nights. No, not for prostitutes your dirty b'stard but for the atmosphere of the place. Old Jack the Ripperesque terraces, cobbled back alleys, unchanged for decades if not centuries. Mock gas lamps, then the tower of the Anglican cathedral popping up over the rooftops. It's that district for me and of course a ghost story or two in the area concerning Hope St and Rodney St.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Have you ever walked through the grounds of the Anglican cathedral...........at night!!

Blog Entries

Speke Hall, every room feels spooky!

Blog Entries

Thanks Ged,

Yes, very atmospheric indeed. It not surprising film scouts pick this location time and time again. BTW Ged prostitutes can be ghosts, as well ;-)

Close by, and another contender is St James's Cemetery. The ground level feels like you're at the bottom of a vast stone vault, with the gothic presence of the cathedral brooding over the top of it. I wouldn't want to be caught out down there at nightime [for a start I'd have to explain what I was doing down there, in the first place? Well you know what I mean. ;-) ]. Imagine going back up through the tunnel by yourself, no thanks.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

I did, in the early 70's........at speed!! (the acid didn't help!)

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Have you ever walked through the grounds of the Anglican cathedral...........at night!!
    Yes !! when we went on the Shiverpool tour. They took us into the cemetery and told us a spooky tale in the pitch black (this was at 11pm)

Blog Entries

Hi Kev,

Speke Hall - yes, definitely a contender.

A place even the bravest of souls would think twice going after dusk.

Hi Steve,

Yes, the Anglican cathedral...especially St James's cemetery, and that headstone lined tunnel is not for the faint-hearted.

Any photos would also be welcome?

I'm sure there's some ghostly shadows, phantasms, apparitions, or just some strange goings-on, in and about the streets of Liverpool?

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes !! when we went on the Shiverpool tour. They took us into the cemetery and told us a spooky tale in the pitch black (this was at 11pm)

Did anyone jump out? I've heard that's what they do!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Did anyone jump out? I've heard that's what they do!
    yes !! you can imagine the screams of horror !!

they make you stand in that headstoned lined tunnel too ! with just a tiny lantern flickering at the side

No but I've walked the halls of Lord Derby's Mansion at night...torch's only allowed...no switching lights on as they cut the power.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Hi Kev,

Speke Hall - yes, definitely a contender.

A place even the bravest of souls would think twice going after dusk.

Hi Steve,

Yes, the Anglican cathedral...especially St James's cemetery, and that headstone lined tunnel is not for the faint-hearted.

Any photos would also be welcome?

I'm sure there's some ghostly shadows, phantasms, apparitions, or just some strange goings-on, in and about the streets of Liverpool?
    I have stayed the night in Speke Hall. People live there, its not that bad, but going through the place when all the lights are off is pretty interesting.

I also refused to sleep in a room on my own, you know, just incase...