Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare bottle

Default Rare bottle

The bottle below is worth£15 to£18 its rare as rocking horse manure...rare my A*se...the part building in the pic stored old crates and in some of these old crates were those bottles,the building was also storage for old lables,cardboard boxes,plackards of the lemonade given to shops who sold full swing lemonade.

This bottle is not complete...its missing its round stopper and wire.

How do I know this....I worked there,it was my second job after leaving school.
    Buisness was a family run firm and an all female internal workforce except the only male on the shopfloor was me,twas a hard slog working there for 4 years but a happy slog...I put it down to working with the ladies.

Wage was,£13 and something?5 days a week...dang did I really work for peanuts back then,sheeesh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copy.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	17545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swing codd.jpg 
Views:	1054 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	17546  

Whereabouts is this George? ...and any idea when it ceased to be?

How's about my bottle from the Old Swan Glassworks, with the old stopper in.
    It has the inscription "J. Dewar", an anvil trademark and "Ellison Street Old Swan.

Gotta be worth £2 of anybody's money
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottle.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	17549  
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

I think they musta shut up shop in the 80's sometime? as Ileft there 80/81? fo a lifeon the Irish Sea.

Buisness musta been bad for them to finish upbecause they have been in business as long as Schofields Lemonade and they where the only two Lemo companies trading in Liverpool.

They were situated in Richmond Row and the pic is showing the back entrance in Birkette Street,I think this is a Double glazing firm now?

Not much can be found on the company on the net which I find most odd as their lemo was popular at one time along with schoies lemo.

Edna Griffths and Derek Griffths were the last remaining two of their family generation but they'll be gone now as they were getting on a bit when I was there so maybe they ceased trading because the younger generation didn't want to take the buisness over?

That's interesting! When you think of the amount of soft drinks consumed today, it's hard to understand that the 2 companies went out of business!

Rumour has it that when Alpine set up shop in the 70's these two had a large chunk of their sales slashed because of the door to door delivery by Alpine...Alpine didn't last long but sure did some damage for the time it was in buisness.

Right.....Alpine,another name from the past! I'd forgotten about the home deliveries,but I'd moved on to stronger stuff,by then!

Gosh - this takes me back. My Mum always used to buy us Full Swing pop when we lived in Liverpool. Their green Cream Soda was my favourite

Glad you liked it,musta been the extra half bag o sugar I threw in the vat for good measure.

Its clear really,the colourant just makes it green...sometimes the bottles would blow their tops with that stuff,too much gas injected into them,the gas had to be right to give the soda some punch to the flavor.

Anyone remember Collier & Hart, based in Old Swan behind the tenements in St Oswald Street? I loved their Sarsaparilla! Seven pence a bottle and three pence back on the empty - ah those were the days! I read that the government want to return to the days of the returnable bottle but surprisingly the supermarkets are none too keen!
    I think the Liverpool soft drinks industry went 'POP' when the BARR company bought everything up. Tizer never did taste the same after that.
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Anyone remember Collier & Hart, based in Old Swan behind the tenements in St Oswald Street? I loved their Sarsaparilla! Seven pence a bottle and three pence back on the empty - ah those were the days! I read that the government want to return to the days of the returnable bottle but surprisingly the supermarkets are none too keen!
    I think the Liverpool soft drinks industry went 'POP' when the BARR company bought everything up. Tizer never did taste the same after that.
    So "Tizer" was made in Liverpool!! As I've said,it seemed at odds with the trend,to close these places down,but can't say I remember Collier and Hart, though!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    My friends mum worked there and its mentioned towards the end of the page on this link:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/no40fitzger...inkvar=000044#

Here's the quote
    "I worked in Collier and Hart in Rock Street for approximately four years, starting in 1951 with my best friend Marie Shannon. Some other friends I remember are Peggy Riley she lived in 9c above the arches in St. Oswalds flats, she married Jimmy Riley. Teresa Murphy also from the flats. Grace Fellows who lived in McQueen Street. I remember the owner, Bill Collier and his son Mr. Fred, he had a handle bar moustache and he was in charge. I also remember Joe Blakely he was the Foreman.
    I was married at St. Oswald Church across the road from the Lemonade factory and I recall hearing Joe say
    “There goes one of our girls, I can tell from the red circles round the ankles”
    This was true, we wore rubber aprons and clogs, the lemonade syrup would run down our aprons and onto our legs which created this red ring. I look back on these years with fond memories and can still remember receiving a telegram, from my sister Joan on my 21st birthday whilst at work."
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Tizer was not liverpool based,it was Scottish,although Fred Pickup was Mancunian.

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

As I've said,it seemed at odds with the trend,to close these places down,
    If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that the closure of the smaller firms was mainly due to the introduction of Co-Cola and the tin can,Tin can being cheaper to produce.

Can't speak for Schoies,but Edmondsons was stuck in a time warp,their machines were old and dated and expansion was definatly out of the question,I took an nosey into the board room once and it came right of the 30's everything in there was Art Deco,fantastic layout if ever I saw one of 1930's design.

but can't say I remember Collier and Hart, though!
    Neither can I musta went under in the late 50's ?

Tizer - the appertiser.

So George, was that full swing you worked in as I remember it being off Richmond Row, it got screwed by the hard knocks from the four squares tenements. Schofields was in Dalrymple street off Greaty - the wall is still there with the ornamental wording/signage.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Could of sworn post #4 gives a clue as to where it was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast