Thread: Castle Street 1875

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Castle Street 1875

South Castle StreetTwo photographs of the Castle Street area. The first is largely unchanged – although the block of offices on the left had been replaced by the turn of the century. The main area of interest is the horse-drawn omnibus alongside the row of carriages. To the right, the old Exchange building can be [...]

More...

Blog Entries

A fine image Colin,

Another St. George's Church photograph to add to the archive. Some other examples below.

[Source: Colin Wilkinson, http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/category/churches/]

[Source: unknown]
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Something going oninthat second photo,Dazza.

Trams been stopped,fire engine in front of it and people looking high up.

Is that a body dangling from the tram wire or is it the trams linkage?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Something going oninthat second photo,Dazza.

Trams been stopped,fire engine in front of it and people looking high up.

I thought maybe this could be the first day of the electric trams in Liverpool?

The photograph, according to Philip Mayer, in A Tram Ride to Dingle is of 'St George's Cresent 1898...[this was] the town terminus of the electric tram route to the Dingle. This photograph was taken on the very first day of the new service....[On the tram pictured,] the route letter 'A' was used for the Dingle service [p.10]'. The first public service 'began on Monday, 16th November. [p.7]'

Source: all quotes from Philip Mayer's excellent A Tram Ride to Dingle which also has some very fine illustrations of the route.

The standers-by could be looking at the electric conductor over the tram, which would of gave off electrical sparks? I'm sure it must have been an usual sight on first seeing?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Bu**er when ever I see the side of this church I always think its the side of St Georges Hall because of the similarity of the gate at the side.

Arrggh.

Blog Entries

Double post, sorry.

Colin, thanks. There's no sign of a letting-up in the quality of the gems we're getting off you. What a piece of work the blog will be when finished !!

Thought you were swearing at me then.

The link Ipost about St Johns,I'm astound by the amount of Intered corpse that was recorded...82,491...that can't be right surely?

Blog Entries

I would never do that George ;-)

According to notes in the archives catalogue for Liverpool Record Office, burials at St John's ceased on 11 June 1865 and a faculty for creating a public garden was granted in December 1888. 82,491 burials took place there.

Let's do the math. St John's church, consecrated in 1784 - [with no more burials received there after] 1865. That would amount to 81 years of interments since the church was consecrated. Taking this further, that would total 4,212 weeks of dedicated service, over that timeframe. 82,491 burials would equate to almost 20 burials per week, every week, for the entire 81 years of service. The rate would be approximately 3 burials per day, which considering the French prisoner's of war, the Irish famine, the resulting overcrowding and poverty, and the general high rates of mortality prior to Dr Duncan's days, would present a case for it being a true number of burials, and tragically, a normal sight in Liverpool's churchyards back then?

There is possibly likely to be more interments at St. John's gardens, as John Eye's map of 1765 describes the area as, "Great Heath, intended for burial grounds" some 19 years before St John's church was consecrated?

The next question has to be - are they all still there? I don't know, and I don't want to derail Colin's "Castle Street" thread? Food for thought though?

Sorry Colin, back to Castle Street...

Do the math? Do the math? please Dazza

Blog Entries

Apologies Davec, I don't know how that Americanism crept in there?

In my defense, I'll point to the Confederate fund raiser that was hosted at St George's Hall, in aid of the American South, during the civil war. There's Reb' ghosts and simpathes in those parts?

Cheers Dazza. Some of those sayings I can take, but others grate on my already grated nerves. Weird how the one missing letter (the 's') makes the saying jump out at you.