YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Street 1875

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Castle Street 1875

South Castle StreetTwo photographs of the Castle Street area. The first is largely unchanged – although the block of offices on the left had been replaced by the turn of the century. The main area of interest is the horse-drawn omnibus alongside the row of carriages. To the right, the old Exchange building can be [...]

ADVERTISING

More...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A fine image Colin,

Another St. George's Church photograph to add to the archive. Some other examples below.

[Source: Colin Wilkinson, http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/category/churches/]

[Source: unknown]
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Thanks

Something going oninthat second photo,Dazza.

Trams been stopped,fire engine in front of it and people looking high up.

Is that a body dangling from the tram wire or is it the trams linkage?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Something going oninthat second photo,Dazza.

Trams been stopped,fire engine in front of it and people looking high up.

I thought maybe this could be the first day of the electric trams in Liverpool?

The photograph, according to Philip Mayer, in A Tram Ride to Dingle is of 'St George's Cresent 1898...[this was] the town terminus of the electric tram route to the Dingle. This photograph was taken on the very first day of the new service....[On the tram pictured,] the route letter 'A' was used for the Dingle service [p.10]'. The first public service 'began on Monday, 16th November. [p.7]'

Source: all quotes from Philip Mayer's excellent A Tram Ride to Dingle which also has some very fine illustrations of the route.

The standers-by could be looking at the electric conductor over the tram, which would of gave off electrical sparks? I'm sure it must have been an usual sight on first seeing?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Thanks

Bu**er when ever I see the side of this church I always think its the side of St Georges Hall because of the similarity of the gate at the side.

Arrggh.

Thanks

Colin, thanks. There's no sign of a letting-up in the quality of the gems we're getting off you. What a piece of work the blog will be when finished !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast