Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool's Railway Development

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

when i saw a few weeks age and from the photos i have of the back of the old central high level station there are 2 tunnels

Default Central station high level

Hello.I was a shunter for 4 years at Central station,and the incident resulting in the death of a passenger on the 10 oclock from liverpool to Manchester train.(The passenger was in the last compartment of this train and for some unknown reason was hanging out of the window in the tunnel when his head was smashed on the back of my train.)this would have been in 1964-65.I'm not living in Liverpool I'm in Hatfield Herts.so can't get to library to see records.Ted.ps sorry for the tardy reply,get lost on this boad.

Default email address

oritelad.your email address dosn't work .mine do's.Central station has only one tunnel
    one up line one down line one center line.

A very early Liverpool to Manchester coach off the Rocket at York Rail Museum
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Is that a copy or original?
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Hi waterways, I`ve no idea.
    I would guess that it`s a copy, the rocket itself is there as well

Just found this from last year

Default Planet in Steam

Here's a replica of the Planet in steam at the Manchester terminus of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. It's a shame we cannot have something like this in Liverpool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Planet in steam DSC02587R.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	420.9 KB 
ID:	7726  

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    The original main line tunnel entrance in to Central Station upper level was first of all partly walled up at street level.

Afterwards, when Liverpool Central low-level was completed, the approach to the Upper level station was dug lower, so that it actually goes beneath the original station area entrance, and through a new tunnel down to meet the original low-level terminus.

Nowadays, when approaching Liverpool Central from the south, you can actually feel the train suddenly begin its descent on the steep approach down to the lower level station from the original level. Plus if you look out of the window on the right side of the train and look up, in the daytime you can see the original tunnel entrance above the train which is now, as previously mentioned, partly walled up.
    Aha interesting. I always wondered how old and new were fitted together!

Dave.

Default CENTRAL STATION

Yes you are right there was only three lines one up one down and centre used for coaching stock,i was on the footplate at brunswick loco for many yrs ,the accident re a passenger having his head out of the window also happend before ,a loco driver and fireman traveling back home after bringing a train into liverpool ,for some reason the fireman had his head out trying to see who was in next compartment on leaving liverpool ,being strangers he was not aware of the coaches in the middle line his head was hit against the coaching stock and left the imprint of his profile in the coach window i saw the damaged coach cheers joe.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
    Hello.I was a shunter for 4 years at Central station,and the incident resulting in the death of a passenger on the 10 oclock from liverpool to Manchester train.(The passenger was in the last compartment of this train and for some unknown reason was hanging out of the window in the tunnel when his head was smashed on the back of my train.)this would have been in 1964-65.I'm not living in Liverpool I'm in Hatfield Herts.so can't get to library to see records.Ted.ps sorry for the tardy reply,get lost on this boad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    ...no quicker than the car to get from Liverpool to other major cities such as Leeds and Birmingham.
    Can't argue will all your points, but my father-in-law regularly uses the Liverpool-Birmingham train to visit us, and will bore anyone prepared to listen about how fast and efficient the service is.

Joescouse.any idea on the date for the acident.Edd.

Blog Entries

Mothballed Liverpool rail lines are being considered for re-use on transport chiefs? plans

Jun 8 2009 by Ben Schofield, Liverpool Daily Post

TRANSPORT chiefs want to open up old train lines to boost Merseyside?s rail network.

As part of the plans they are looking at three possible venues for a new Anfield station to service Liverpool FC?s new stadium.

Top of the wish list is to run freight trains into the heart of the docklands along a stretch of track not used for decades.

It is hoped the move would take dozens of lorries off inner-city roads.

The Burscough curves ? which used to connect the Southport to Manchester and Ormskirk to Preston lines ? are also being considered for re-use. It would mean passengers could get a direct train from Southport to Ormskirk, rather than taking a Northern Line train and changing at Sandhills.

Cllr Peter Millea, who sits on Merseytravel?s board, is pushing for the plans to be included in the City Region?s next Local Transport Plan (LTP3).

He said he had identified three possible locations for an ?Anfield station?.

If the plans go ahead it is likely the freight-only Bootle Branch Line would be adapted to take passengers.

Along the route it also skirts Stanley Park, where LFC is hoping to build a 73,000-seat stadium.

Planning permission was only granted on the proviso that the club helps solve the chaos of matchday parking in Anfield and contribute to upgrading public transport.

Cllr Millea said a station could be built where either Utting Avenue or Townsend Lane cross the tracks, or near Anfield Cemetery.

Last night rail bosses welcomed the news.

Merseyrail spokesman Rudi Boersma said: ?If the infrastructure is available and it makes sense, we would be delighted to run trains along any new stretch of the network.

Council officers are also working on a feasibility study for adding a Canada Dock Branch off the Bootle Dock Branch to bring freight trains direct into the Port of Liverpool.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...34-23812297/2/[/QUOTE]

---------
    Nothing new there. The Burscough Curves are cheap to put back and have been talked about for years and keep Southport gripers happy. It doesn't do much for Liverpool though and Burscough isn't even in Merseyside. The Bootle Branch (Canada Dock Branch) has been talked about for years as well and looked certain if LFC want the 73,000 stadium.

Council officers are also working on a feasibility study for adding a Canada Dock Branch off the Bootle Dock Branch to bring freight trains direct into the Port of Liverpool.

This means re-using the tunnel at Bankhall running in a line to the Canada Dock, which is a short section. This line would most probably be used to deliver scrap steel to take to Taiwan. The Port of Liverpool already has a rail line into it, they state it like is hasn't.

All in all, they are re-instating short sections of lines from Bankhall to Canada Dock and at Burscough and putting some stations on an already used line. Better than nothing and looking good I suppose.

becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Since when has the Bootle Branch been mothballed? The only 'mothballed' stretch of track is the North Mersey Branch from Bootle to Aintree. Anything else is either in use or ripped up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aureol View Post
    Since when has the Bootle Branch been mothballed? The only 'mothballed' stretch of track is the North Mersey Branch from Bootle to Aintree. Anything else is either in use or ripped up.
    Yep. But there are many trackbeds still around. And even many tunnels:
    • Dingle
    • Wapping
    • Waterloo
    • Kirkdale to Rice Lane
    • Haymarket in Birkenhead
    • Kirdale to Sandon Doc
    • Under Linacre Gas Works.

All waiting for re-use