Thread: A Tale of Two Cities (2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default A Tale of Two Cities (2)

34 Alexandra Drive, 1891Eldon Street, 1910On February 26th, in one of my first blogs, I compared the extreme poverty in Liverpool with the great wealth that was very visibly present. At the turn of the twentieth century, Liverpool still had a significant number of millionaires, who had built their mansions in the suburbs – from [...]

More...

Blog Entries

I wonder where they were driving to that day? Perhaps nowhere? The photographers been now let's have a game of Bridge?

Great images; the stark contrast of interior spaces in the next two images. I can only imagine the bugs and vermin that probably crept out of the broken plaster lathing, shudder to think.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

We didn't have bugs or cockroaches...me Ma seen to that with paraffin.
    Although our house wasn't in such a state as that I can only assume that these where a real destitute family living here? or perhaps this might have been a tramps digs? I can honestly say that where we lived and it was the slum area that I never as a kid saw any ones house condition in that way.

What I can sayis....three or four to a bed was common as muck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    What I can sayis....three or four to a bed was common as muck.
    In families of my grandparent's era [ie: before birth control] it wouldn't be uncommon for households to have anywhere between 6 -14 children. Each having their own bed was an unrealistic childhood fantasy. And considering that there maybe 3-4 to a bed, and in some cases, two beds in the same room, privacy could only really be found in the privy, and even then, it was an outdoor, draughty and cold space to have any thoughts in - outside what you ultimately went in there to do in the first place. Grey soapy bath water, sporadically topped-up with hot water was another thing you'd have to share with you siblings, once a week, if you were hygenic? Your own clothing would seldom be new, more likely hand-me-downs from the next eldest. All this, and nits, if one of your brother's or sister's had been unlucky enough to bring them home? All heads would be iching before long. And before the vacuum cleaner entered our homes, fleas would be another irritant.

I wonder how all this shaped children's personal identity in larger less well off families? Children today, have their own bedroom, own brand-new toys, own private space, they play games on computers with their friends...but through a network, not sitting besides each other. Socially, we must be a different lot today?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.