Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Tree

At last the People search/family tree section has found its voice, some great stories I like Dades that would be some family reunion.
    In my family if a child died as a baby the next child born of the same sex would be given the dead childs name, this really threw me until I realised what was happening, so I would come across two Elizabeths to the same parents, once you get into following the evidence that you realise what has happened, this happens lots of times over the generations.
    Have people come across similar?

Have a look at this site
    http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/default.aspx

when you do a search for 1881 all people with my surname live mainly in one area Shropshire and Welsh Borders, in 1998 we are stiill in the same area with small pockets in Merseyside, Midlands and a small area of Lancashire.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Hiya John,
    I popped in my grandmothers single name,the name that holds most interest to me,it said there has to be more than 100 of these names-mine was'nt.
    Thankyou John
    Jacky

chippie

Default reunion

welcome Dade, I,ve found my present aunt who has married into our family has ancestry with the I.R.A. In fact they were shot by the British after the Easter Rising of 1913. Now if my Ganny was to meet up with them half would be gun running and half would be getting ale out of Cain,s brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    welcome Dade, I,ve found my present aunt who has married into our family has ancestry with the I.R.A. In fact they were shot by the British after the Easter Rising of 1913. Now if my Ganny was to meet up with them half would be gun running and half would be getting ale out of Cain,s brewery.
    na they would be getting ale or delivering speeches as the IRA of today are purely political now

Taffy,
    Have pm,d you
    Thankyou
    Jacky

Started mine 12 mths ago on a family I never knew existed got back to my
    G/G/Grandfather 1810 fairly quickly all Brit Army,I have 7 generations with
    "James" in their name,but trying to find living rels 1950 forward thanks to
    the disclosure act is like trying to win the lottery
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    If you go back far enough Marie ( a few thousand years), you'll find large numbers of your ancestors ended up in Wales. This has been determined by comparisons of DNA analyses from different populations around Europe.
    My DNA is in an American Institute. It´s true!! It´s the great data base of the world. Why do u said Wales?

chippie

Default family tree

yes John, I,ve come across two Elizabeths in my tree, thought about one dying but couldn,t find the death cert. for the first one. Makes me think they got rid of her by other means. I,ve heard of people burying their dead babys in the garden or throwing them in rivers etc. found a feotus in the bingo club I worked in once and that was back in the seventies. I,ve also found my relatives in an Americans tree and she has got them all mixed up, my relatives with hers. Sometimes they just plump for the first name that seems to fit in with their ideas. You have to cross match and confirm in this family tree business.

Hi,
    I have spent a small fortune in getting certificates,and i even got a researcher to get me some of the info i needed from Kew--the Indian part of my tree !!!!!!!!!!
    But what a great thing to leave for future generations
    Jacky

Default Iberians in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    My DNA is in an American Institute. It´s true!! It´s the great data base of the world. Why do u said Wales?
    See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtiberians

The net effect of this Iberian immigration these days is that many Welsh people are typically dark skinned and short. We might even be cousins Marie !!!

chippie

Default costa de tree

Hello Lady, my tree to date after seven years and certificates galore and photos, fares back and forth, meals, etc. I reckon has exceeded £3000 to date, but, as you said, mine has never been done before, and what a legacy to leave behind to a relative that hasn,t been born yet.....

Hi Chippie,
    You may have read,i had come to a standstill on my dads side..WELL,
    I have just wandered on this site...dont know how i got there.....Lol, and found 2 people from India........with the same surname (quite a rare name)
    I have downloaded the info,and will need to study it now to see if it takes me anywhere..............I am dead chuffed with myself
    Yes Chippie,a great legacy we can leave future generations=worth every penny.
    Jacky

I have enjoyed doing my tree it becomes very addictive.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Hiya John,
    I have'nt been doing mine very long,but i fully agree with you,i am truly addicted,and my family are ringing me all the time to see if i have found anything else------the phone has been red hot tonight--i think i have found 2 more
    Hubby thinks its his birthday everyday he gets some peace and quiet
    Jacky

Thumbs up

Hi all been doing mine on and off for 15 years it becomes addictive and then you leave it for ages. Wish I could visit all the places my lot have come from. I do need to visit Ireland Dublin and Belfast as my lot where spread out but no real idea which part. I read in George Bests book his mothers maiden name was Withers as is mine so I would love to think we had a relation in common. I got some great letters from my Grand dad when he was in the war, they where so sad and I am so proud of him they went through hell and how any survived I don't know. Good luck to you all and keep going its well worth it.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast