Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huyton Area

Default Page Moss

Any history on this area? iv lived here all my live in the page moss area, and would love to know its history. If possible im more intrested in pictures of it from years ago if there is any?
    Last edited by Kev; 04-09-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Huyton was an area that expanded rapidly after the war and mentioned in Doomsday 900 years ago. The name derived from the Anglo Saxon 'heath' and 'turn', meaning an elevated enclosure or farmstead.

Rubble from the Olive Mount railway cutting was used to create the huge 2 mile long embankment carrying the Liverpool-Manchetser line through Roby and Huyton.

There's a Parish Church (St. Micheal) that dates from 1663.

In 1931 Huyton had a population of 5,198. Today it is around 58,000.

Thats all I have to say about that.....

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Huyto

There's a Parish Church (St. Micheal) that dates from 1663.

]

Sack your researcher Kev

I've got history going back as far as 1552 for St Michael's Huyton:

1552: “iiij bells whereof ij as the said churche wardens do alledge be unpaid foure . . . MN the said iiij belles were boght of the Kyngs Mrts cōmyssions.”

Plus, the heaviest bell in the tower has just celebrated its 400th birthday in 2006

Attachment 2060
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

You'll Never Walk Alone doorwaydave's Avatar

Default bluebell pub

drove pass bluebell pub today and to my surprise it had been flattened..R.I.P,another pub bites the dust!

Hey LeeLad05, you don't live far from me, I live in the Stockbridge Village area, ok my area deosn't have the best reputation but it's ok really.

Another thing about Huyton is that the actor Rex Harrison is from there.
    'We're are always the first to laugh, but also the first to cry'-Gerry Marsden

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by doorwaydave View Post
    drove pass bluebell pub today and to my surprise it had been flattened..R.I.P,another pub bites the dust!

Cadfael

Info on the church and bells from my website:

http://www.liverpoolbells.moonfruit.com/huyton

Default Some Huyton info.

Huyton has been much more successful in producing professional footballers. In recent years the town has produced two outstanding, combative and skilful, midfield England internationals: Peter Reid (Everton FC) and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool FC). Other footballers include: Joey Barton, Craig Hignett, Tony Hibbert, David Nugent, Leon Osman, John Relish, Greg Tansey, and Lee Trundle.

Notably on 28th March 2007, two of Huyton's most prominent footballers starred for England in a 3 nil away win in Andorra. Goals came from Steven Gerrard (2) and David Nugent in a proud night for Huyton. Both players were educated at Cardinal Heenan high school who have a track record as one of the country's top schools for sport.

Despite producing so many pro footballers, Huyton has never been able to sustain a semi-pro club for long. Nearby Kirkby Town changed their name to Knowsley United F.C. in 1988 and re-located to Alt Park, the former home of Huyton Rugby League Club. In United's first five seasons they were hugely successful. In 1988-89 they finished runners-up in the North West Counties Football League. The following season they were champions and won promotion to the Northern Premier League Division One. They were accordingly promoted to the Premier Division. The following season they fought their way to the first round proper of the F.A. Cup, only to be beaten by Carlisle United at home. Unfortunately the momentum did not last and Knowsley United ended up as a senior semi-pro side in 1998.

(Huytonians wanting to support a local semi-pro outfit have Prescot Cables F.C. located at Valerie Park in the Northern Premier League (Premier Division) less than 2 miles away).

[edit] Famous people
    Because Huyton does not have its own hospital, most of its famous sons and daughters will have been born elsewhere, usually in Liverpool or Whiston.

Although born in St Helens, Thomas Beecham (1879 – 1961), the famous classical music conductor, was brought up in the Blacklow Brow area of Huyton. In 1947 he founded the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Alan Bleasdale, playwright famous for 'Boys From The Blackstuff', attended St. Aloysius RC Infant and Junior Schools, Huyton, 1951-57.
    Stan Boardman, comedian.
    Sir Rex Harrison, actor who starred in films such as My Fair Lady and Cleopatra, was born and raised on Tarbock Road in Huyton, and attended St Gabriel's School.
    John McCabe (composer)
    Reginald Moss, first-class cricketer.
    Although originally from Manchester, Peter Noone (1947 - ), of 1960s group Herman’s Hermits, settled in Chestnut Avenue, Huyton, before wealth and fame came knocking.
    Phil Redmond, the creator of Hollyoaks, Grange Hill and Brookside.
    Freddie Starr, comedian.
    Stuart Sutcliffe, the Fifth Beatle. (Born Edinburgh but spend childhood in Huyton)
    Former Prime Minister Harold Wilson was Member of Parliament for the former Huyton constituency. A statue of Wilson was erected in Huyton town centre in 2006.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Huyton has been much more successful in producing professional footballers. In recent years the town has produced two outstanding, combative and skilful, midfield England internationals: Peter Reid (Everton FC) and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool FC). Other footballers include: Joey Barton, Craig Hignett, Tony Hibbert, David Nugent, Leon Osman, John Relish, Greg Tansey, and Lee Trundle.

Notably on 28th March 2007, two of Huyton's most prominent footballers starred for England in a 3 nil away win in Andorra. Goals came from Steven Gerrard (2) and David Nugent in a proud night for Huyton. Both players were educated at Cardinal Heenan high school who have a track record as one of the country's top schools for sport.

Despite producing so many pro footballers, Huyton has never been able to sustain a semi-pro club for long. Nearby Kirkby Town changed their name to Knowsley United F.C. in 1988 and re-located to Alt Park, the former home of Huyton Rugby League Club. In United's first five seasons they were hugely successful. In 1988-89 they finished runners-up in the North West Counties Football League. The following season they were champions and won promotion to the Northern Premier League Division One. They were accordingly promoted to the Premier Division. The following season they fought their way to the first round proper of the F.A. Cup, only to be beaten by Carlisle United at home. Unfortunately the momentum did not last and Knowsley United ended up as a senior semi-pro side in 1998.

(Huytonians wanting to support a local semi-pro outfit have Prescot Cables F.C. located at Valerie Park in the Northern Premier League (Premier Division) less than 2 miles away).

[edit] Famous people
    Because Huyton does not have its own hospital, most of its famous sons and daughters will have been born elsewhere, usually in Liverpool or Whiston.

Although born in St Helens, Thomas Beecham (1879 – 1961), the famous classical music conductor, was brought up in the Blacklow Brow area of Huyton. In 1947 he founded the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Alan Bleasdale, playwright famous for 'Boys From The Blackstuff', attended St. Aloysius RC Infant and Junior Schools, Huyton, 1951-57.
    Stan Boardman, comedian.
    Sir Rex Harrison, actor who starred in films such as My Fair Lady and Cleopatra, was born and raised on Tarbock Road in Huyton, and attended St Gabriel's School.
    John McCabe (composer)
    Reginald Moss, first-class cricketer.
    Although originally from Manchester, Peter Noone (1947 - ), of 1960s group Herman’s Hermits, settled in Chestnut Avenue, Huyton, before wealth and fame came knocking.
    Phil Redmond, the creator of Hollyoaks, Grange Hill and Brookside.
    Freddie Starr, comedian.
    Stuart Sutcliffe, the Fifth Beatle. (Born Edinburgh but spend childhood in Huyton)
    Former Prime Minister Harold Wilson was Member of Parliament for the former Huyton constituency. A statue of Wilson was erected in Huyton town centre in 2006.

And me Ged not born there but spent a lot of time in Huyton

Its a great place

Steven

The above was a quote from Kev.

I had the priviledge of teaching there and when I first started, it was called Cardinal Allen. Rugby was played until the school became Comprehensive and appointed a retired professional footballer named Les Chadwick. As head of sport, Les made Cardinal Heenan into a flagship.
    Many fine sportsmen came from there. ( Actually some of them still owe me homeworks. )

Default History

Look at the Knowsley Council Website

http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/

Chris48

Interesting article in the Express today about sir Rex Harrison an how apparently he was universally loathed by his peers and was quite a rude and arrogant man. The article talks of his 6 wives and numerous mistresses, two of whom committed suicide. He would tell autograph seekers to "sod off". Born in Huyton in 1908.

Huyton Parish Church.

The Churches cemetery. Stuart Sutcliffe is buried here at the far side from the gates.

The monument.

Aquaint little row of properties facing the church

Looking back down Bluebell Lane from the Village

Gnomie

Ged's been up to Huyton

Does that clock say 8.10 ?

I knew you would take a pic of the tower block, did you do close ups of it under construction?

Hiya Gnomie - long time no speak ha ha.

It does indeed say 8.10, that's why the photos are so dull - well that's my excuse anyway, it was evening

I'd just dropped my eldest off at her boyfriends.

Those two tower blocks are on my high rise page, it was indeedy you that sent me them, including views from upstairs on your round. Looks like they're doing them up or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast