longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by SKie View Post
    Well, the two disused tunnels (victoria/wapping) both go under some of the least "connected" areas of Liverpool and both head up to edge hill and could therefore easily be linked back into the merseyrail network if the bootle branch is 3rd railed as LFC want.

The University and residential traffic alone would probably be enough to justify re-opening those tunnels. The original merseyrail loop & link was designed with this in mind, so the spurs have already been dug and construction of something like that wouldn't disrupt the network as much as if the spurs weren't already there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Merseyrail.jpg
    Tell me i have now seen the Waterloo Tunnel at Edge Hill it was stering me in the face all the time so was this part of the Old Liverpool Loop Line that went all the way round through to Halewood which section is no a cycle path and passes under edge lane.

Quote Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
    Tell me i have now seen the Waterloo Tunnel at Edge Hill it was stering me in the face all the time so was this part of the Old Liverpool Loop Line that went all the way round through to Halewood which section is no a cycle path and passes under edge lane.
    "It would be great if someone could upload a detailed map"

Cadfael

The map (of which I've got a copy but can't attach to the forum) starts from Halewood, in to Woolton (by Halewood Road), through Gateacre, through the bottom end of Childwall (Childwall Valley Road), up to Broadgreen by Thomas Lane, up to the back of behind Alder Hey, through West Derby passing not too far from the Jolly Miller.....

Doesn't touch Edge Hill at all.

The old Edge Hill Crown Street station would take you from under Overbury Street/Tunnel Road and then bear right in a U turn almost under Picton Road.

Waterloo tunnel which I walked through around 1978 goes only from Gt Howard st (we got in off Pall Mall) and goes through to Edge Hill ascending gradually. We could see the daylight getting in at Fonney Oy Gardens and then later via the shaft behind Norton St as we progressed onwards and upwards, the light at the beginning of the tunnel quickly disappeared as we went uphill. The cycle path old loop line goes from Halewood to Bootle and is open air and not connected to Edge Hill at all.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Waterloo tunnel which I walked through around 1978 goes only from Gt Howard st (we got in off Pall Mall) and goes through to Edge Hill ascending gradually. We could see the daylight getting in at Fonney Oy Gardens and then later via the shaft behind Norton St as we progressed onwards and upwards, the light at the beginning of the tunnel quickly disappeared as we went uphill. The cycle path old loop line goes from Halewood to Bootle and is open air and not connected to Edge Hill at all.

Until you get to Thomas Lane and it's as pitch black as anything:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eTwR4Fkh0c8

So the Waterloo tunnel was nothing to do with the Old Liverpool Loop Line then.!

But was was the actuall route of the line that used the waterloo tunnel and am i correct in thinking that part of the line is the one that runs at a lower level than the Northern Line at Bootle as this disapers in to a tunnel simmiler to the on at Edge Hill.

The Waterloo tunnel doesn't go anywhere near Bootle John. It runs in a straight line, all underground from Gt Howard street to Edge Hill, the entrance at Gt Howard street and into the tunnel for a hundred yards or so is now filled with old tyres. It runs under Pall Mall , Gascoyne st, Vauxhall road in a South Easterly direction, the first cutting can be seen at Byrom Street. It continues under Hunter street (under 2 old burial grounds actually), then under Islington and the next ventilation shaft is on Norton street behind the coach station. It runs under Pembroke Place, the University grounds at Ashton st then under Crown st and Archbishop Blanch school where another shaft is visible above ground, then under Mason street, Highgate st, Kingslake st (it's been running almost parallel with the Lime street mainline since Norton st, but underground) - then under Overton st and Chatsworth drive and into Edge Hill. I have an old A-Z that maps the route.

Blog Entries

So the Waterloo tunnel was nothing to do with the Old Liverpool Loop Line then.!

But was was the actuall route of the line that used the waterloo tunnel and am i correct in thinking that part of the line is the one that runs at a lower level than the Northern Line at Bootle as this disapers in to a tunnel simmiler to the on at Edge Hill.

You need to look at the odd map:

The one below shows the Waterloo Goods yard and the tunnel. From Edge Hill there was two direct tunnels fanning out. One to the south dock, the Wapping Tunnel, to Wapping/Queens Docks, and one to the north end docks, the Waterloo Tunnel, to Waterloo Dock. Each one had a Good Depot at the end. The idea was to get goods in and out of the docks ASAP. This was space age technology at the time - 1830s.

Both closed 1971/72. One of the last, if not the last, passenger trains to use the Waterloo Tunnel was taking troops to the Pier Head to quell the trouble in Northern Ireland.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....lpool_1920.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....pool_1836.html
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-03-2007 at 04:53 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    how it once was?

Blog Entries

The Waterloo tunnel doesn't go anywhere near Bootle John. It runs in a straight line, all underground from Gt Howard street to Edge Hill, the entrance at Gt Howard street and into the tunnel for a hundred yards or so is now filled with old tyres. It runs under Pall Mall , Gascoyne st, Vauxhall road in a South Easterly direction, the first cutting can be seen at Byrom Street. It continues under Hunter street (under 2 old burial grounds actually), then under Islington and the next ventilation shaft is on Norton street behind the coach station. It runs under Pembroke Place, the University grounds at Ashton st then under Crown st and Archbishop Blanch school where another shaft is visible above ground, then under Mason street, Highgate st, Kingslake st (it's been running almost parallel with the Lime street mainline since Norton st, but underground) - then under Overton st and Chatsworth drive and into Edge Hill. I have an old A-Z that maps the route.
    The Lime Street cutting were originally tunnels, however they were cut out at various points for safety reasons - steam engines.

The original Waterloo and Wapping tunnels had steam engines at Edge Hill that pulled the wagons by cable, so safety inside the tunnels was not such a problem. Later, steam locos became more powerful and were able to climb the incline form the docks. With it being goods the safety aspect was not a real consideration as with passenger Lime St.

At the time these tunnels were very long indeed, and still are. London had nothing like them.

The cuttings at Lime St can be built over reclaiming land, that is for sure, and ideally should be. Heavy beams can be stretched across the cuttings and buildings built upon the beams. The cuttings are dangerous with vandals throwing heavy objects on the trains and onto the lines. They are also an eyesore with large ugly heavy walls around them. One idea was to make the deep cutting a double decker track.
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-03-2007 at 06:24 PM.

how it once was?

So... I wonder when the Byrom street cutting was made then and why? If it was only for passenger safety, is it because passengers once used that line and if so, was a station, or just a staff access made at Hodson street. I've only ever known it as a goods line from the docks but if indeed it was extended to the Riverside Station then maybe...?

Blog Entries

So... I wonder when the Byrom street cutting was made then and why? If it was only for passenger safety, is it because passengers once used that line and if so, was a station, or just a staff access made at Hodson street. I've only ever known it as a goods line from the docks but if indeed it was extended to the Riverside Station then maybe...?
    Yes, questions Ged. The cutting/station could have been added later. But Byron St was a major highly populated area in the 1800s, so it may have been a station from the outset. A rail workers stop? Why there?

how it once was?

Very interesting thank you.

So where does the line go that i see from Seaforth Docks please and is it the same line that goes into a Tunnel at near Boolte Oriel Rd at a Lower Level than the Northern Line.

PhilipG

Default Hodson Street.

I know nothing about railways, but think I've missed something in these threads.
    Has somebody actually said there was a station at Hodson Street?
    If the Waterloo Tunnel was originally the Victoria Tunnel, then it opened in 1849.
    I've checked all the following maps, and while the cutting is shown on all of them, on none is there a station shown:
    c1860; 1863; 1865; 1873; 1881; 1888; 1892; 1897; 1906; 1924.

Only according to Oritelad Philip who also says so on his site but I can find no facts relating to it?

Day Ago
    oritelad
    www.oldliverpoolrailways.

---------------------------

its good to see more discussions about this lost waterloo tunnel station my site www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk has a page on it please feel free to look its still under construction i still have loads to add to each page but hodson station did exsist iam 100% certain it was very hidden as the area as we know it today is very open but before the area was redevloped that cutting was quite hidden when fontenoy garderns are around the station was accsesed by stairs they started where the electricity orange brick hut is now and down onto the platforms where a woodern station hut was also of course this station was mostly used by workers and trains did not stop here much and it didnt last long as a station but lets not forget it as it was a station and will soon be again thanks to merseyrail as for the other stations on the waterloo tunnel line it had hodson station, edge hill, riverside, waterloo goods and great howard street as great howard street station as used as a goods yard after exchange station opened i have photos somewhere traces of great howard street station, waterloo goods station, hodson station and riverside station are still there today

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast