Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Railway Stations

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

sandhills station closes on sat till march so iam making sure i get some photos of history before it gets knocked down the same with any other stations that get knocked down also anyone heard about the new station at anfield that will be very much like aintree more info is on my site www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    sandhills station closes on sat till march so iam making sure i get some photos of history before it gets knocked down the same with any other stations that get knocked down also anyone heard about the new station at anfield that will be very much like aintree more info is on my site www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk
    So they build a station on the Bottle line to serve LFC. Where would the line go to and from? To Edge Hill and then onto where on the Mersetyrail net.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

there are a few ideas about where the line stops and starts one is lime steeet to edge hill then onto the canada dock branch to the new anfield station when it opens in 2010 then much later on other stations along the line could reopen and then the line could continue to spellow then kirkdale then onto the merseyrail network at bootle orreil road junction another idea was to use the waterloo or wapping tunnel connecting the merseyrail loop line to edge hill then onto the canada dock branch there is also talks of the line goinng onto the old bootle branch to aintree so it could be quite long nothing has been finalised yet though so we will just have to wait and see

Blog Entries

there are a few ideas about where the line stops and starts one is lime steeet to edge hill then onto the canada dock branch to the new anfield station when it opens in 2010 then much later on other stations along the line could reopen and then the line could continue to spellow then kirkdale then onto the merseyrail network at bootle orreil road junction another idea was to use the waterloo or wapping tunnel connecting the merseyrail loop line to edge hill then onto the canada dock branch there is also talks of the line goinng onto the old bootle branch to aintree so it could be quite long nothing has been finalised yet though so we will just have to wait and see
    From Lime St main line is a no, no. as it is not on Merseyrail. You need easy connectivity with the Wirral, etc. Using the Waterloo Tunnel and connecting onto the Northern Line at Waterloo Dock is good way. It has to a regular service and not a matchday service/line.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Although I no longer live on Merseyside, I still have a great interest in the regions railways, dating from my days of travelling around the network on a weekend "Merseyrover" and my involvelment in the early days of the "Steamport Museum".

It is fascinating to read about the projects for rail on Merseyside;if only one or two of them could become reality ! Imagine seeing an electric on platform 4 at Southport, with Liverpool Central via Ormskirk on the departure board.

Many of the proposed new rail-links demand huge capital-investment.However, Ormskirk to Burscough Bridge is a mere drop in the ocean when compared to motorway building. The likelehood of ever increasing petrol prices must surely change the current policy of preferring road transport.How many people commuting from Southportto Preston alone in a car would jump at the chance to take a fast, reliable train ?

Does anyone know just how much a mile of third-rail D.C electrification actually costs including the provision for track-replacement, signalling and sub-stations for the power-supply ? The extension to Kirkby Headbolt Lane would give a good idea, althougn I am not sure if the track will be doubled through Kirkby.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    From Lime St main line is a no, no. as it is not on Merseyrail. You need easy connectivity with the Wirral, etc. Using the Waterloo Tunnel and connecting onto the Northern Line at Waterloo Dock is good way. It has to a regular service and not a matchday service/line.
    That's all true.

But on the other hand that line is moderately and increasingly used for freight which bears heavily. As does the planned electrification of the Chat Moss route from Edge Hill to Manchester via Earlestown.

It would be nice if Merseyrail were acquiring some dual-powered rolling stock (Overhead / Third rail). That would open quite many possibilities.

Blog Entries

Default Walton Junction station

I'm looking for information about Walton Junction station as I'm finding it hard to pin down. Can anyone tell me where it was (on the corner of which road or whatever), when it opened, when it closed and what stands in its place now? I believe there was a crash there in June 1867 in which a number of people were killed. All info very gratefully received, thanks in advance for your help.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

researchwriter: you're probably best starting a new thread in order to receive more views and info. also try the Sub Brit site.

As regards the North Liverpool Extension Line, I am confused with the line types. If Lime St's line is not the same as the Northern Line, what line is it? Does anyone have any technical details for this?
    Also, the NLE's line is a freight only line, which is also a different type, but what is this?
    In order for Lime St - Anfield to happen, must the NLE line and Lime St line be electrified to the same as the Northern Line?

Someone mentioned the busy usage of the NLE line but so what? Frieght and passenger trains run in conjunction with each all over the country, so why not here? Yes, there is only one track, which is not good, but there used to be two tracks, am I right?

In my eyes, the investment would surely be worth it over the long-term. Not only can we have match-day services (for Everton too, providing they stay put) but we can have daily services and new stations between Anfield and Edge Lane. The fact that it links to the Northern Line must also boost its profitability.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jc_everton View Post
    researchwriter: you're probably best starting a new thread in order to receive more views and info. also try the Sub Brit site.
    Cheers JC, will do.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    I'm looking for information about Walton Junction station as I'm finding it hard to pin down. Can anyone tell me where it was (on the corner of which road or whatever), when it opened, when it closed and what stands in its place now? I believe there was a crash there in June 1867 in which a number of people were killed. All info very gratefully received, thanks in advance for your help.
    Walton Junction is now Walton Station on the Ormskirk Line.
    It's just off Hornby Road (near Walton Gaol) and the line used to be the Liverpool, Blackburn & Accrington Line on the L & Y R.

i have many photos of walton junction which is now (walton station) check me site www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk it used to have a line running off it towards the red wreck where the mcdonalds is today

Blog Entries

i have many photos of walton junction which is now (walton station) check me site www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk it used to have a line running off it towards the red wreck where the mcdonalds is today
    Cheers oritelad.

Default Liverpool - Manchester Railways

Hi,

Others may be interested to know that Bob Pixton's third (and final) book on the railways linking Manchester to the centre of the known Universe is about to be released. This one covers the ex-L&Y route while the previous ones covered the ex-LNWR and ex-CLC routes. I've ordered my copy from Amazon at a substantial discount but if this volume is as good as the previous two, even full price would be worth paying.

My copy should arrive in the next fortnight or so.

HTH,

David C

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info David
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast