Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Railway Stations

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

what are the book about do they have the closed lines like the north liverpool extension line and the old canada dock line?

are they book available in library's yet?

St. James Station and line. There is a pile of wood conveniently piled up just below the wall giving just enough height to hang onto the wall with one hand whilst trying to click your camera with the other. Be careful on your way down though not to put your foot straight onto a rusty nail which went through the sole of my trainer like a hot knife through butter, it's still throbing now.

The remainder of that end of Stanhope Street with a small Georgian terrace and Cains brewery in the background.

An about turn to face East and you'll see the 1878 Petony's Building on St. James Place.

Last edited by Ged; 03-13-2008 at 03:04 PM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Question Waterloo Goods Station

Hello
    I've been searching on the internet for ages, scoured dozens and dozens of books and cannot find a single photo (or even drawing) of this station.
    I've even tried the records office and the Liverpool Museum archive and they don't have any either.
    My great grandfather was working there in 1912, had a bad fall from the roof and was DOA at the David Lewis hospital just up the road. I have the original newspaper cutting from the time but this doesn't have a picture. As it has some relevance to my family history I'd love to see what it looked like.
    If anyone can offer any suggestions for where else I can try I'd be most grateful, or better still if you have a pic please can you scan it in for me.
    Much obliged
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

I don't think one must exist of it quincyg if these haven't got it?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...es/index.shtml

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    Hello
    I've been searching on the internet for ages, scoured dozens and dozens of books and cannot find a single photo (or even drawing) of this station.
    I've even tried the records office and the Liverpool Museum archive and they don't have any either.
    My great grandfather was working there in 1912, had a bad fall from the roof and was DOA at the David Lewis hospital just up the road. I have the original newspaper cutting from the time but this doesn't have a picture. As it has some relevance to my family history I'd love to see what it looked like.
    If anyone can offer any suggestions for where else I can try I'd be most grateful, or better still if you have a pic please can you scan it in for me.
    Much obliged
    Someone posted an old map of the goods station not long ago.

Appears health & safety has moved along a bit. I was looking at a picture of dockers in 1960. No one had any industrial clothing or protective headgear at all - all wearing those awful depression flat caps. Most industrial places were death traps.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

i know what you mean i have searched everywhere for a photo of waterloo goods station still nothing not even a plan or anyone that can describe it to me please if anyone finds a photo or knows what the area and station looked like back then please let us know i can sort of imagine what it looked like from the photos i have of it but i don't understand where great howard street station would of been was it above on the viaduct above the waterloo tunnel by costco?

also what did the old st james station building look like there does not seem to be any photos of st james when it was open either?

Railway Signal Engineer mikewturner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    i know what you mean i have searched everywhere for a photo of waterloo goods station still nothing not even a plan or anyone that can describe it to me please if anyone finds a photo or knows what the area and station looked like back then please let us know i can sort of imagine what it looked like from the photos i have of it but i don't understand where great howard street station would of been was it above on the viaduct above the waterloo tunnel by costco?

also what did the old st james station building look like there does not seem to be any photos of st james when it was open either?
    Errrrr what like this one? Not sure of copyright on this image but it's part of my collection.

I hope everyone realises that 'Waterloo Goods Station' was never used for passengers? It was literally what it says - a station for goods. Similarly Stanley Cattle Station was a station for cattle ie cattle pens.

Regards

Mike Turner

Nice pic Mike

judging by the jinty on the front, this would be the liverpool suburban railtour in 1964?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikewturner View Post
    Errrrr what like this one? Not sure of copyright on this image but it's part of my collection.

I hope everyone realises that 'Waterloo Goods Station' was never used for passengers? It was literally what it says - a station for goods. Similarly Stanley Cattle Station was a station for cattle ie cattle pens.
    Thanks Mike, Is that the Waterloo Tunnel in he background? Old maps say the area may have been largely covered. I'm sure the goods terminal was larger than what the photo covers. The building on the right is clearly newsish, while the one of the left would have have a listing slapped on it - looks good.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mikewturner View Post

Regards

Mike Turner
    wow thank you. Do you have any more?
    yes I know it wasn't a passenger station, my gt grandad was a railway painter/labourer there. he fell through the glass roof and died.

Some photos of a LUPTS rail tour passing through waterloo gds 13/6/1964. sorry if they have been on here before. photos by j peden & d Hamson . There was a 3 part article about the dock lines in Railway bylines mag in 2006.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wat1.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	5517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wat2.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	5518  

PhilipG

Default Waterloo Goods.

From the 1906 OS map.
    Alan Godfrey reprint.

Quote Originally Posted by merseywail View Post
    Some photos of a LUPTS rail tour passing through waterloo gds 13/6/1964. sorry if they have been on here before. photos by j peden & d Hamson . There was a 3 part article about the dock lines in Railway bylines mag in 2006.
    wonderful thank you. although it doesn't show the old glass roof it's great to be able to see photos of the station at last.

Quote Originally Posted by merseywail View Post
    And they demolished this magnificent edifice to build a Costco? Madness. Temporary insanity. Wickedness. Thatcher.

wasnt it demolished before thatcher?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast