Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Railway Stations

There you go. Taken today 30/08/2007

Blog Entries

An excellent way to introduce yourself to the site, many thanks. I've wondered about tht site for many many years.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

If you lot want any more pictures of the railway then I can get them for you. Be aware that it can take months for me to get to a particular site to take photo's. We go where the computer tells us to go (via work orders). And we can't go on track for no reason. A lot of places don't have access during the day. But if I can I will. Let me know!

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by babaconda View Post
    If you lot want any more pictures of the railway then I can get them for you. Be aware that it can take months for me to get to a particular site to take photo's. We go where the computer tells us to go (via work orders). And we can't go on track for no reason. A lot of places don't have access during the day. But if I can I will. Let me know!
    Brilliant brilliant photos!!! Thanks so much
    Any more info/pics anybody has of this station would be greatly appreciated.
    I know it was featured in the Echo a few years back but my mum threw the paper out...typical!

Lookin' for info about Wavertree, I found this web site...

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ee/index.shtml

Hello Babaconda, thanks for sharing your excellent pics

chippie

great photos Baba. Stay safe going around those rails, and keep taking photos.

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

wow the old st james station photos are great no photos can be took of this site anymore and i cant belive u actally got down there when i pass the site on the train it goes past to fast i can never get a good photo of it there is rumors of this station reopening hope it does, there are a few stations i cant get to that i would love to see what is left i went to wavetree station yesterday and took photos as i got in the door that blocks the entry to the old staion site it is probley sealed back up now so i was lucky to get the photos a station i would love to see what is left is spellow but i cant get down there and i cant see over the wall it was very similar to st james station in a deep cutting hope you get the chance to get photos of what it looks like now my site is www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk if anyones intrested

Amazing, thanks for these pictures and the offer of more!

Two quick questions: there is a black door in the wall at Liverpool Central on the north end of the Southport platform. Ive always wondered what that was for (and where it went)

And another random door one , there are a few large white doors at Moorfields Old Hall street entrance, and there is even a seperate (closed) entrance next to the main one that has just a Wirral Line sign over it. It even looks like there is space for an extra escalator, too. I'm thinking its a dedicated passage to the wirral platform that was never used.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SKie View Post

Two quick questions: there is a black door in the wall at Liverpool Central on the north end of the Southport platform. Ive always wondered what that was for (and where it went)
    Could you describe in more detail where this is? Is it in the wall on the far side of the railway? As you look towards Southport is it on the left?

Its probably nothing too exciting. There are a lot of small rooms around for water pumps. Water is continuously being removed from the tunnels.

Again I'll try to find out what its for but it might take me a while!

Could you describe in more detail where this is? Is it in the wall on the far side of the railway? As you look towards Southport is it on the left?

Its probably nothing too exciting. There are a lot of small rooms around for water pumps. Water is continuously being removed from the tunnels.

Again I'll try to find out what its for but it might take me a while!
    Yep, on the far side under all the station signs. The dor is partially cut into the corrugated wall covering. There are two large holes near it so it could be for ventilation.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Lookin' for info about Wavertree, I found this web site...

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ee/index.shtml
    A station there, or at Smithdown Rd, would be really useful. Especially with all the students in the area. Someone here posted something ages ago about Merseyrail having it in their long-term plans to reopen some of these old stations, including the Sefton Park (Smithdown Rd) one. Of course they'd have to rebuild it first though.

Cadfael

I still say that Liverpool Council would be sitting on a gold mine by re-opening the Halewood/Bootle loopline with an old set of steam trains. All of the structures are still there, the station exit and entrances are still there and it is such a place to travel as you feel you are out in the country when you head through halewood. There is no direct way to get from say West Derby to Gateacre on transport, but hop on an old steam train through the West Derby cutting would be magical!

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

good point about liverpool central and the black door well i found out resantly that it leads to another unused platform built in the 1970s when the loop line was built if you look out the window just before you reach liverpool central from moorfields i have a photo somewhere that a worker for merseyrail took you will see the old blocked tunnel that leads to the disused platform it was built for another line that was planned that would used the waterloo tunnel but the idea and platform have been forgot about since the 1970s but now in 2007 merseyrail are to upgrade liverpool central and they could use this platform as they are plannin to reuse the waterloo tunnel hope it happens as for other stations reopening it will happen but only in the long run it will take time and money
    Last edited by oritelad; 09-06-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    good point about liverpool central and the black door well i found out resantly that it leads to another unused platform built in the 1970s when the loop line was built if you look out the window just before you reach liverpool central from moorfields i have a photo somewhere that a worker for merseyrail took you will see the old blocked tunnel that leads to the disused platform it was built for another line that was planned that would used the waterloo tunnel but the idea and platform have been forgot about since the 1970s but now in 2007 merseyrail are to upgrade liverpool central and they could use this platform as they are plannin to reuse the waterloo tunnel hope it happens as for other stations reopening it will happen but only in the long run it will take time and money
    I know exactly where you mean. In the run up to where the platform is there are a lot of equipment cupboards. Its not impossible to move these. But it would take a lot of time. I haven't heard anything about them opening an extra platform. And I work on the tracks.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast