Quote Originally Posted by mike delamar View Post
the cheshire lines railway tunnels from kirkdale to walton on the hill?

is that what you mean there, that there is tunnels alongside it?

what that was, is that the tunnels were built in case the line ever had to be widened from 2 tracks to 4, but they never removed the cutting in front of them,

you can see that all along the bridges and tunnels on the the cheshire lines railway bike path to halewood, there wernt any platforms at kirkdale for this line,

kirkdale station on the lancashire and yorkshire railway, the one that is still used, only ever had the 2 platforms on the slow lines, same as it is now, the lines next to that which got lifted in the late 1960s early 70s where what was called the fast lines, from walton junction to liverpool exchange, trains that where not going to stop at kirkdale used these lines, because the electric trains stopped at every station,

ive got some more pics of the tunnels in the steam days somewhere, ill dig em out

cheers

mike
great hope you find them photos there just does seem to any pics of that bit of kirkdale station,

thanks now i know why there are 2 tunnels next to eachother so they just built 2 incase they needed 4 lines but decided they didnt so thats why the 2nd tunnel was never complete and leads to a dead end?

so this branch did cross the cutting for the canada dock branch so did the bridge crossing it get removed and when?

thanks i understand how kirkdale station worked now it just seems confussing as there are so many branchs running through it i hope you find a photo of the old stair way that was knocked down which lead to that fast lane track i always thought it lead to the 2 tunnels in the corrner and the canada dock branch ya see

also i was thinking of visiting the site of spellow station do you or anyoneelse know how i would get to it of has anyone got resant pics of what state it is in now?