Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosby

Quote Originally Posted by MissDemenour View Post
    Well technically sefton is an area of liverpool. It isn't seen in its own right by the government or the people who make maps. According to them most of the time we don't exist in sefton, we are just a part of liverpool so it is only fair.

Southport shouldn't be included in Merseyside...they want to be in Lancashire and have tried numerous times to be changed back into a part of Lancashire but they have been refused every time.
    I know people who live in Aigburth who still use Lancashire in their address. I guess it takes all sorts.

Hi there MissDemeanor _ I like Crosby... got Family there and enjoy my nights out there.... either at Crosby Village or South Road (either will do) Ive had a few really good nights out there. for Crosby

I used to spend most of my summer holidays as a kid in Waterloo so I have a soft spot for the area. It does seem to be picking up a bit after quite a few years of decline. Lots of little restaurants etc popping up

We did too.

We spent lots of summer days at Crosby.

Yeah Crosby and waterloo are that kind of area. It has always been a place that people seemed to want to bring their kids up in but everyone else didn't seem to think they were worth a visit.

Is a lovely place though, plus we have a fantastic cinema which is run by the community so it is cheaper and cosier. Plus, the building the cinema is in is a fantastic example of art deco architecture, especially if your intrested in art deco theatres.

I agree it should be about all merseyside. I guess where the boarders of liverpool are in my mind is the majority of merseyside.

I draw liverpool into two categories really, scouseland and not scouseland. Not scouseland is where the 'plastic scousers' are from, like myself.
    I wonder if he'll make me crawl. I wonder how far I might fall. I'm stuck beneath my skin I don't know who to blame for this mess I'm in. Involuntarily falling to my knees another victim of heart disease. Another Night without a dark tunnel, stay in bed so I can't be stolen. And everything revolves around the fear of my fate. Everyday a little closer to death.

I think of Crosby, Kirkby, Huyton and Speke as scouseland even though they may be governed by Sefton and Knowsley councils or whatever. John Conteh and Steven Gerrard are as scouse as anyone and two of the Beatles lived in Speke. I wouldn't stretch it any further than that though to say Hightown, Prescot, St. Helens or Hale - now they are woolybacks
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Fully agree with that Ged.

Paul Mac was born in Walton hozzy tho' - as I'm sure you will know - and his mum & dad were living off Priory rd, Anfield at the time - - so Paul originally hails from Liverpool and not Knowsley or any other area.

They lived at a couple of addresses in Speke after moving a few times before that.
    The family lived in Thomas White gdns at one point. (they did move around a lot didn't they !)

Yes Lindy. 10 Sunbury Rd and also evacuated over the water during the war when he was a baby, they did move around a lot as Mrs Mc was a midwife and of course George was originally from Arnold Grove in Wavertree why is why of course I made a point of saying they lived in Speke and not born there.

Many Scottie Roaders were moved to Kirkby due to the building of the Kingsway Tunnel, they sound as and are as scouse as us. There was an interesting Radio Merseyside programme about all the newtowns including Skem and did they work out how they were meant to.

If we were to class Bootle, Litherland and Waterloo as 'not Liverpool', the north end of the city would end at Kirkdale and Walton.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I think of Crosby, Kirkby, Huyton and Speke as scouseland even though they may be governed by Sefton and Knowsley councils or whatever. John Conteh and Steven Gerrard are as scouse as anyone and two of the Beatles lived in Speke. I wouldn't stretch it any further than that though to say Hightown, Prescot, St. Helens or Hale - now they are woolybacks
    Speke is actually inside the city limits. All the rest are not. To all intents all are a part of Liverpool except St Helens, which is clearly Lancashire in culture with few connections to the adjacent city

Liverpool should be made a city sate as is Hamburg. Draw a line from Ellesmere Port to Neston on the Wirral all north of it incorporate into Liverpool. From Speke to Formby Point and out to Kirkby/Prescot and incorporate all of a that. That should all be Liverpool.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Yes. It's amazing that the new Everton ground problem to the keep Everton in the city group is that it's 4 miles up the road and so out of the boundary, yet Speke is 6 or 7 miles up the road and is still within.

Blog Entries

Everton have had four homes....

- When Everton first played on Stanley Park it was outside the city boundary.
    - When Everton first played at Priory Road it was outside the city boundary.
    - When Everton first played at Anfield it was outside the city boundary.
    - When Everton first played at Goodison Park it was outside the city boundary.
    - When Everton play in Kirkby it will be outside the city boundary.

The city always followed Everton.

Knowsley is an artificial council rimming Liverpool and should be incorporated into Liverpool. This came about as Liverpool Council refused to incorporate Kirkby and Halewood in the city as the Boundaries Commission suggested. Kirkby is in all intents a part of Liverpool, as is Bootle, Birkenhead, Wallasey, etc. They are in the same socio-economic area as big Liverpool. There is talk of extending Liverpool to incorporate Knowsley and parts of Sefton. So, the city may follow Everton once again.

The protracted stadium move, now over 10 years has eaten at the club - this results from poor club management. From the biggest in the UK, the Mersey Millionaires, to second tier. There are no Arabs, Americans or Russians waiting with a pot of gold ready to save Everton - Everton have a poor image. If EFC stay at Goodison Park, be prepared for Championship League football.

EFC need a new stadium in a better location than GP, that is clear. I would like the stadium to be around Commercial Rd. The adjacent Waterloo rail tunnel could be re-used and station opened up underground. If not then I will not cry about at Kirkby at all. My reservation is the cheap and nasty design for the Kirkby stadium - the corners are not even used. The sweeping bowl and roof creates atmosphere in modern stadia. Totally unacceptable.

Below Everton at Anfield on probably the only map showing them there, complete with stands, and clearly outside the city boundary which ran through the current Kop end end. Enlarge the picture and zoom in.

Last edited by Waterways; 10-25-2007 at 01:00 PM.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Yes. It's amazing that the new Everton ground problem to the keep Everton in the city group is that it's 4 miles up the road and so out of the boundary, yet Speke is 6 or 7 miles up the road and is still within.
    That pressure group has a clear ulterior motive to keep Everton at Goodison Park, not just inside the city limits. I don't trust them.

how it once was?

I grew up in Crosby too. We moved to Moorgate Avenue (between Endbutt Lane and the Northern Road) when I was about 7 from Bootle. This would have been around 1960. It was a magical place to grow up all right, halfway between the city and the country. You could get the L2 or L8 to Skelhorne Street bus station or wander off into Little Crosby village, Ince and S******y Woods, Fort Crosby... Or jump a train to Formby or Southport, all within easy reach. And of course the beach was just down the road, not to mention Crosby Baths- I queued up to get in there on the day it opened.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3852

I went to Forefield Lane infant and juniors then Waterloo Grammar (hated it there).
    Later used to go to St Faith's youth club opposite Merchant Taylor's. Used to buy my first ciggies in the old-fashioned tobacconists opposite.
    We used to catch tadpoles and minnows at a pond we called, for some reason, 'the green railings' at the bottom of Nazeby Avenue. I think it's the Rimrose Valley nature reserve now.
    Had my first pint in the Raven in South Road the day after my 15th birthday. Had my first snog on the beach near the baths. My first joint too (not at the same time)- or so I thought. The bloke who sold it to us told me years later it was the yellow ochre from his sister's watercolour box!
    Bought my first records from a place in South Road. Queued up to see 'Summer Holiday' at the Regent...
    Ah, memories... more anon and some photos too when I work out how to post them..

Jeez, just noticed your stupid censorship device has obliterated S n i g g e r y W o o d s. Where's the sense in that?
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

The censorship was due to the 2nd - 7th letters in your 1st word which spells out another word which cannot be used.

Oh right? Good grief.
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast