Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you help me identify the school in this photo?

Blog Entries

You guys leave my train set alone.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

Default ST JOSEPHS LIVERPOOL..SAYS IT ON BOX ..TAKEN AFTER YOUR ONE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandad at schOOL.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	644.8 KB 
ID:	17403
    THINK ive sorted that mystery out

Have a look at the teacher in the Boaler St photograph in GeorgiePorgies post and the teacher in the origional photograph and tell me there is not a resemblance!

Default Thanks for all your replies

Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions, cleaned up version (Bobed), photo links, art work (Dazza and Jackie) and wit .
    Boaler St does seem to be the closest match so far, though it doesn't have 3 bricks for the freize nor the lower stonework that Dazza pointed out - so it seems the search must go on.
    I think the photo may have been taken slightly later than I first thought and could be around 1911 - if only they really had put the name of the school on the board like Chatsworth, Boaler St and of course St Joseph's
    Ah well I live in hope

It does have the frieze around the window the same as your pic,you have to enlarge the givenpic to see it.
    In all fairness this identical in building,photo shot of the kids layout,Teacher and attire ect,ect.

What you have to dismiss is that a building might be different in some aspects of its architecture due to the nature of shortfalls in size,area and placement.

I'm not saying it is the school but I'd give you good odds it was.

p.s see the plant pot in the window of yours? well its in the bottom left corner of mine.

Default school group photo

Compere these two!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teachers.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	17419  

Samp? I do believe a trip to specsavers is in order.
    Having looked at both of the photographs of these women I do not believe they have any real resemblance, other then the fact that they have a similar hair style (Being up that is) and are wearing similar etire, which I'm pretty sure all teachers would of worn in that era.
    Also I do believe that the school building from George and the OP do look similar however there are a number of differences which lead me to believe they are not the same building.
    And by the way, the plant? Seriously? That is what you are using to solidify your argument?
    I dont know if anyone else agrees with me or maybe its just me.
    I hope you have some better luck with identifying the school and I shall see if I can find anything out for you

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me try to identify the school in my photo.
    Because of a number of similarities Boaler St is top of my list so far but the differences with my photo (e.g. B St windows are 4 panes wide with 2 x 2 panes opening together not 3 with just middle pane opening, has lower brick work not stone, freize only 1 brick deep not 3, school name written on chalkboard vs no name on mine etc) leave some doubt in my mind.
    I know it's a probably a long shot but when I get the chance I'm going to go to the LRO to see what records they have for Boaler St. Maybe I can find out if my gdad was registered as a pupil there. Does anyone know if the LRO holds anything that would help me?

Blog Entries

Tilly,

Where did your grandfather live, or the family live in the 1901 census; what street exactly? We may be able to narrow it down to a small number of schools from there? I'd do this before going the LRO.

Daz
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Hi Daz,
    he was being fostered in Pinnington Cottages in Wavertree at 10mths old in 1901. He's not still with the foster family in 1911 and family rumour has it that he may at some point have gone to live with his birth mother once she married in Edge Hill/Low Hill area but have been unable to find her marriage so don't have a name she might be under.
    Thanks Tilly

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

p.s. Pinnington Cottages was just off the High St nr Grange Terrace. Nearest school to that would have been Holy Trinity

Blog Entries

Hi Tilly,

I'm assuming you've checked the 1911 census under both his foster family and Pinnington Cottages, but without result?

Here's a list of all the schools featured in the 1911 Gore's Directory for Liverpool. You may be able to identify the ones around Edge Hill/ Low Hill?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_7.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	585.8 KB 
ID:	17454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_8.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	614.0 KB 
ID:	17455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_3.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	650.1 KB 
ID:	17456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_9.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	465.8 KB 
ID:	17457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_6.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	588.3 KB 
ID:	17458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_4.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	615.8 KB 
ID:	17459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_5.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	605.1 KB 
ID:	17460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_2.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	636.2 KB 
ID:	17461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schools_1911_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	685.4 KB 
ID:	17462

Yeah - found his foster family living elsewhere but no signs of him at all in the census anywhere. Thanks so much for the list of schools - guess it's time I got the maps out

Where did this photo come from? usually in those days photograhs of school assemby classes had the photographers name and buisness stamped on the back,this was common right upto the 60's?

My Aunt gave it to me but sadly theres nothing on the back

Blog Entries

For those quiet moments Tilly, when you have nothing to do...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....photographers/

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

http://www.liverpool-schools.co.uk/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast