Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you help me identify the school in this photo?

Default Can you help me identify the school in this photo?

Does anyone know at which school this photo was taken? It was probably taken around 1906-1908 in Wavertree (or maybe Edge Hill/Low Hill areas). Written on the board held by the two boys at the front is the roman numeral II. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks
    Tilly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandad at school 2.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	477.9 KB 
ID:	17294

It looks like quite a distinctive uniform they are wearing with the high collars. They look like junior school age, and it was unusual for younger junior age children to wear school uniform in those days.
    They all have neat and tidy hair and all seem to be wearing the same style boots.
    I wonder could it be the Bluecoat school in Wavertree ?

Thanks lindylou - I hadn't even thought about the Bluecoat. I was thinking possibly Holy Trinity but you've given me another possibility. I'll see if I can find any photos of the Bluecoat from that time. You're right about them being young junior school boys. My Grandad is in the photo and may have been about 7 at the time. We know very little about his early life and I'd love to find out where this was taken. I'm hoping that maybe the family of another boy in the picture has the same photo. Thanks again Tilly

The brickwork does look like that of Holy Trinty, now called Wavertree C of E. I've some old photos of the school (I'll dig through them now.) I don't think the school wore uniform in those days though. Perhaps you could contact the Blue Coat, I'm sure they will have old photos themselves in their archieves. What a great photo.

This is not school uniform in the photo but clothes of the day/era,what you see here is which family have a little money to send their children to school with decent attire and you can tell quite clealy the poorer familys.

Collar and bow where the norm in the 1900's as was the sailor type outfits for boys and girls.

Thanks Liverbirdlou thats really good of you. I found a couple of photos of Holy Trinity on a Wavertree website but they're so small it's too hard to tell if the building is the same. It seems it's not the Bluecoat - the school windows are very different and apparantly the children there wore blue frock coats and yellow stockings right up to the 1940's !! (and I thought my school's brown and cream get up was bad )
    Also thanks George for the info on styles of dress for boys at the time - the other Holy Trinity photos I mentioned do seem to have a few boys dressed in the same type of high buttoned jackets, high collars and bow ties

Ged has few schools in pictures....

http://www.inacityliving.piczo.com/?cr=7

Its the Sum Skools link.

Blog Entries

Dont know the location of the school but had a go at cleaning up the picture !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gradads School Picture.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	749.4 KB 
ID:	17303  

Blog Entries

Ooops Posted wrong one !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandads school.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	591.5 KB 
ID:	17304  
    Local History, photographs and stories from http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/

Blog Entries

I picked a book up from my local Library today. It's called; Old Liverpool, by Eric Midwinter. Published in the early seventies.
    I had a quick look through the picture plates and came across one picture of an old school

This school closely resembles the one in your photograph, especially the design of the window sills.

The blurb beside the pic reads...

Catsworth Primary School, one of Liverpool's first Board Schools.

I have read a little of the book concerning schools at that time [1870s] and will post a bit more info later.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

There is another picture of this school here along with a picture of some pupils that again looks very similar to your own.

http://liverpool-schools.co.uk/html/chatsworth.html

Similair Oudi,butnot quite,the pic presented by the OP has a 3 tier window casement...can'tsee any on any of the pics you have given.

The school might have been demolished? as so many 1800's ones are classed as unfit/fo schooling.

St Georges was a classic hard red brick structure and was built to last but as like many schools they decided to demolish it and put up a fabricated cardboard box inits place right on the main oad.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

The nearest representation of the brickwork and window casement is this one in Boalar Street...its an uncanny resembelance and take into consideration that the kids on the back are standing on platforms in the OP's pic.

http://liverpool-schools.co.uk/html/boaler_st.html

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what you mean, Georgie, by '3 tier', but I think this (yet) a little by the by.
    Given that 'my' school is directly on the street maybe the photograph was taken in the central quad which could have had slightly different window designs.
    And then there is this, from the book...

By 1880 the Board controlled 21 schools, 10 of which were entirely or in part newly constructed.
    They were; Queens Rd., Chatsworth St., Roscommon St., Ashfield St., Butler St., Beaufort St., Walton Lane, Upper Park St., Harrington and Clint Rd. [so some designs may be of a sort]

Mention is also made of the tussles between non-conformist, the C of E and Catholic groups as to how to go about teaching and who not to bother teaching, namely the 'Street Arabs'. In addition to the dry statistics that are to be seen there was too a popular magazine at the time called the Porcupine.
    In 1877 a series of articles appeared, "Education past and present". Written by a Liverpool Shipwright, described by the editor as 'a bona-fide working man'.
    These give a well thought through view of matters from a quarter seldom heard from and would be invaluable to any who sought to understand the birth of education in Liverpool. Perhaps someone knows of this weekly Porcupine?

Blog Entries

Usually a bit of colour helps.

The brickwork around the window reveals are a different brick and colour than those of the main walls; and the junction between the two is keyed. The window sill freize runs continuously around the building and is likely to be terracotta. The lower wall is stone, and is probably local sandstone.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

Dazza, your poor train set's gathering dust?

Usually a bit of colour helps.
    Nuts.

His trainset is on strike,Oudi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast