YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you help me identify the school in this photo?

Thanks

Default Can you help me identify the school in this photo?

Does anyone know at which school this photo was taken? It was probably taken around 1906-1908 in Wavertree (or maybe Edge Hill/Low Hill areas). Written on the board held by the two boys at the front is the roman numeral II. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks
    Tilly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandad at school 2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	477.9 KB 
ID:	17294

ADVERTISING

Thanks

It looks like quite a distinctive uniform they are wearing with the high collars. They look like junior school age, and it was unusual for younger junior age children to wear school uniform in those days.
    They all have neat and tidy hair and all seem to be wearing the same style boots.
    I wonder could it be the Bluecoat school in Wavertree ?

Thanks

Thanks lindylou - I hadn't even thought about the Bluecoat. I was thinking possibly Holy Trinity but you've given me another possibility. I'll see if I can find any photos of the Bluecoat from that time. You're right about them being young junior school boys. My Grandad is in the photo and may have been about 7 at the time. We know very little about his early life and I'd love to find out where this was taken. I'm hoping that maybe the family of another boy in the picture has the same photo. Thanks again Tilly

Thanks

The brickwork does look like that of Holy Trinty, now called Wavertree C of E. I've some old photos of the school (I'll dig through them now.) I don't think the school wore uniform in those days though. Perhaps you could contact the Blue Coat, I'm sure they will have old photos themselves in their archieves. What a great photo.

Thanks

This is not school uniform in the photo but clothes of the day/era,what you see here is which family have a little money to send their children to school with decent attire and you can tell quite clealy the poorer familys.

Collar and bow where the norm in the 1900's as was the sailor type outfits for boys and girls.

Thanks

Thanks Liverbirdlou thats really good of you. I found a couple of photos of Holy Trinity on a Wavertree website but they're so small it's too hard to tell if the building is the same. It seems it's not the Bluecoat - the school windows are very different and apparantly the children there wore blue frock coats and yellow stockings right up to the 1940's !! (and I thought my school's brown and cream get up was bad )
    Also thanks George for the info on styles of dress for boys at the time - the other Holy Trinity photos I mentioned do seem to have a few boys dressed in the same type of high buttoned jackets, high collars and bow ties

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast