YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Liverpools Secret Underground Wartime HQ..Aug 09.

  1. #1
    Member wherever i may roam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everywhere...
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Arrow Liverpools Secret Underground Wartime HQ..Aug 09.

    This is western approaches,Liverpools secret underground wartime headquarters used in ww2 for the battle of the atlantic,ect...well worth the 6 entrance fee...
























    ADVERTISING
























    ...thank you.
    "Its a hobby,not a way of life"

  2. #2
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Brilliant pics, saved me 6 quid too

  3. #3
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    How long has it been open to the public?

  4. #4
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    How long has it been open to the public?
    A good few years now. I used to walk past it when I was on a training scheme down that way, and that was about 10 years ago... Unless I went through a time hole

  5. #5
    Senior Member GeorgePorgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Eck! I knew we used dummy aircraft on the ground to fool the german recon...but dummys in the war rooms...c'mon.

    Nice one.

  6. #6
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    A good few years now. I used to walk past it when I was on a training scheme down that way, and that was about 10 years ago... Unless I went through a time hole
    Yeah, it's been open to the public for ages.
    Not sure how many years but I used to take my son when he was younger. He went a few times - he had a bit of a craze on going there

  7. #7
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Been there too, took about an hour to get around, really is worth a visit.
    Thanks for posting the pics
    Started the Old Swan Website:

    http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

  8. #8
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yeah, it's been open to the public for ages.
    Not sure how many years but I used to take my son when he was younger. He went a few times - he had a bit of a craze on going there
    My family has never mentioned it...

    We went to the London one just after it opened (80's?) and it was very interesting.

    Did this Liverpool one have a similar story - abandoned and locked up at the end of WWII, and discovered decades later in it's original condition?

    I'll put it on the list for my Feb. trip....

  9. #9
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    An interesting article on the Western Approaches from an American author -

    http://www.historyarticles.com/western_approaches.htm

    Seems well done, and talks about the 1.2 million GIs (2.1 in another section) that came in through Liverpool.

    When Americans find out I am from Liverpool - it's interesting that a lot of the WWII veterans remember Liverpool, and the march from the Pier Head to Lime Street station...

    I wondered why I met so many of them, but the 1.2 million number puts it into perspective.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    An interesting article on the Western Approaches from an American author -

    http://www.historyarticles.com/western_approaches.htm

    Seems well done, and talks about the 1.2 million GIs (2.1 in another section) that came in through Liverpool.

    When Americans find out I am from Liverpool - it's interesting that a lot of the WWII veterans remember Liverpool, and the march from the Pier Head to Lime Street station...

    I wondered why I met so many of them, but the 1.2 million number puts it into perspective.
    Nice to see this memorial at the Pier head,is now more easily observed,as it used to be hidden by the bus stops,with a concrete litter bin underneath it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 MEMORIAL.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	17867  

  11. #11
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Nice to see this memorial at the Pier head,is now more easily observed,as it used to be hidden by the bus stops,with a concrete litter bin underneath it!!
    It's a bit plain, but nicely to the point.

Similar Threads

  1. Wartime Items
    By Spike in forum Ant Hogan's Wartime Remembrance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 12:34 PM
  2. Liverpool wartime website
    By Spike in forum Liverpool Memories
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM
  3. Wartime Website Again
    By Spike in forum Liverpool Memories
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
  4. Top Secret Base in Liverpool?
    By Tockeyhead in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!