Thread: walton on the hill tunnel,liverpool,oct 09

Arrow walton on the hill tunnel,liverpool,oct 09

Walton on the Hill Station was situated on the Cheshire Lines Committee's North Liverpool Extension Line which connected its main Liverpool to Manchester line to the north Liverpool docks at Huskisson by skirting through agricultural land to the east of Liverpool. When the line opened Walton-on-the-Hill was the terminus but seven months later on 13.7.1880 services started running through to Husskison.

On 1.5.1885 the station became a terminus for passenger services once again when Huskisson closed. Walton on the Hill was located on the western point of the Walton Triangle at the mouth of a tunnel at what was a busy railway location right up to the late 1960s. Adjacent to the station was the Walton on the Hill engine sheds.

The passenger station closed on 1.1.1918 a very early casualty to road competition. However it remained virtually intact until the early 1980s when the area was developed for housing.

The line closed in August 1975 and was lifted in the spring of 1980.

just a few old pics i found...

.. 1965

..1930 thanks.
    "Its a hobby,not a way of life"

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

check my page on my site for more info on these tunnels http://oritelad.webs.com/northliverpoolextension.htm

Blog Entries

Nice to see pics of Walton on the hill Oritelad.Reminds me when there was a railway sidings there.You could only access it from Gladstone Road which was off Rice Lane.At the entrance was a weighing machine.there was sidings ,4 tracks,3 where used for coal wagons and the nearest one to the gate was used mostly for goods.Two main users where Nelsons Jam and Metal Box.As you say there is a housing estate there now.However the School is still there (Northcote) Happy Days!!

Loving these pics
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Wizz View Post
    Nice to see pics of Walton on the hill Oritelad.Reminds me when there was a railway sidings there.You could only access it from Gladstone Road which was off Rice Lane.At the entrance was a weighing machine.there was sidings ,4 tracks,3 where used for coal wagons and the nearest one to the gate was used mostly for goods.Two main users where Nelsons Jam and Metal Box.As you say there is a housing estate there now.However the School is still there (Northcote) Happy Days!!
    Excellent stuff, I did a bit of sagging school along there. Hapy days indeed

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Excellent stuff, I did a bit of sagging school along there. Hapy days indeed
    That your bike zaps.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE