Over the city at Mossley Hill, the elegant setting of Sudley House is being transformed into an old house with modern lighting. The gently winding carriageway that led from the beautiful stone gateway to the old house is to be widened to make way for visiting coaches, and there will be a turnaround for the masses of arty tourists. They have already started to chop down healthy mature trees to make way for yet another scheme to spoil things.

There was a time when the splendid museums and galleries were safely owned and run by the city council, then Merseyside County Council. The council has clung on to the libraries, Croxteth Hall and the most famous of them all, St George’s Hall. Then it made a big mistake and handed our family jewels to invaders from outer-somewhere, otherwise known as National Museums Liverpool.

Even St George’s dragon would not have been enough to defend the culture snatchers had they set their sights on the famous hall, due to be re-opened on St George’s Day later this month.

NML seems to be a law unto itself, “running” and ruining our history, with no democratic input from the people of Liverpool. Strange that a few people shouting from the rooftops to preserve our heritage are regarded as interfering nuisances, yet an even smaller number who make up the NML can dismantle things and that is OK.

The museum mummies must be turning in their graves.

Source

Hi All

I am not totally sure that the development of Sudley is a bad thing.

Don't we want outsiders to see the treasures that Sudley has to offer? Or do we prefer that Sudley remains a sleepy little museum that no one visits? I note that over on the "Merseyside Halls, Estates and Dwellings" thread, Max, who lives in Wavertree, was asking Kev where Sudley is. That's an example I think of how "unknown" Sudley is even to Liverpudlians who take an interest in their environs. Sorry to use you as an example, Max. . .

Chris