Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rag Day 1936

Yes he was Lindy did you know him? He was a very nice guy
    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Was Rod Jones an art lecturer ?

I went to art college but didn't know Rod Jones personally, he was lecturer for my friend's group/class. I was with different tutors. Sam walsh ( for a very short time), Doug Harkin, John Baum.

Small world Lindy,My husband is Peter Mousdale and he was HOD after Arthur Ballard and went on to be the Dean of Faculty of Art and Design
    Dougie Harker and John Baum and Sam Walsh were his good friends and drinking buddies as well as on the staff.Sam died quite a few years ago and John retired to Wales but I think Dougie is still there, Biffo was the tech guy,
    Were you in Hope Place and what years? I went to all the fashion shows and end of year shows for over twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    ....Were you in Hope Place and what years? I went to all the fashion shows and end of year shows for over twenty years.
    From the 67 Fresher Fashion show at the Students Union....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fresher-fashion-67-1.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	23602

My pictures from the Oct 18, 1967 Guild Gazette - Caption reads -

Picture above shows one of the great sucesses of the show in one of the many trouser suits by Neil English. Below, with the gun borrowed from the O.T.C ., a short slitted dress from the the English casual dress selection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fresher-fashion-67-2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	23603

No credit given to the models, but the text did give the price of the pants suits shown from 9 pounds to 14 pounds.

The fashion shows were always packed out-plenty of flimsy frocks and no bras,lots of students went on to work for designers in London and Paris or started their own businesses.Foundation students built the set and Graphics students printed the programmes, then the students would exhibit their work in the studios upstairs in Hope St.Good times

Doris,

For the 67 Fresher show I mentioned it looks like all of the clothes came from Neil English and his two boutiques "Neil's Place" in Hardman St. and "La Boutique 66" in Mount Pleasant.

No student designs, just store made stuff from reading the text.

Jane the President of the Liverpool Rag Society resurrected this thread last week after over a year from its last post, she requested menbers of Yo supply any recollections and or footage of past Rag events.... Many members have generously supplied some really fascinating insights into previous Rag weeks. Jane stated she had access to lots of archive material and intended to organise an event to display some of it and I suggested she might wish to share a small portion of it on Yo...She dissapeared and ,as of yet,has not responded, either with thanks or with any further contribution.

collegepudding

In a suitcase under the stairs here, I have a dress I bought at the Mount Pleasant shop in summer of 1969 it is a tiny blue and white "John Bates at Jean Varon" frock, wouldn't make a decent duster today the amount of material in it. I had other clothes from this shop it was on the righthand side going up Mount Pleasant by the Registar Office
    Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Doris,

For the 67 Fresher show I mentioned it looks like all of the clothes came from Neil English and his two boutiques "Neil's Place" in Hardman St. and "La Boutique 66" in Mount Pleasant.

No student designs, just store made stuff from reading the text.

Smile

Hi,

Sorry for not replying to this again sooner, I've had an extremely manic couple of weeks and I actually didn't realise until there had been a response to my post!
    Thank you so much for all your replies, and for sharing your memories, the photos and articles look great!
    I am just beginning to organise the re-launch of RAG, we have just last week received some funding to help us with this.
    The photo's I found have been taken away to be framed, but I will try to scan some in and post them up.

I also found some footage online of Panto Week, not sure if any of you have seen this? http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=59777

As I said, I plan to have this re-launch in March, so in the meantime, if any of you would like email liverpoolrag@gmail.com I'll put together a mailing list, to keep you informed of the re-launch!

Many Thanks and Apologies again for disappearing

Jane

Thanks for the reply Jane, much appreciated !

..nice little link too

collegepudding

Quote Originally Posted by JaneLiverpoolRAG View Post
    I also found some footage online of Panto Week, not sure if any of you have seen this? http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=59777
    The newsreel isn't dated (that I could find), but given with the "No meat shortage here", I am guessing that this a 50's Panto parade.

Perhaps the 1955 one after the end of meat rationing.

Note the student with a mask going along the edge of the parade waving a toy gun.

Try that now...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123