YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: West Derby Courthouse

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default West Derby Courthouse

A STOP the Rot success story will get its grand reopening this weekend after a 110,000 restoration.

The Lord Mayor, Cllr Joan Lang, will give official approval to the unique West Derby courthouse at a ceremony on Saturday.

The sandstone Tudor structure is the only free-standing post-medieval courthouse in Britain and dates from 1586 when it was commissioned by Queen Elizabeth I, as Lady of the Duchy of Lancaster manor of West Derby.

But it was deteriorating and was on the English Heritage's 'buildings at risk' register as well as the ECHO's Stop the Rot hitlist.

Funding from the city council's buildings at risk programme and a 45,000 English Heritage grant funded the repairs, with replacement sandstone brought from St Bees in Cumbria because there were no red sandstone quarries left in Liverpool, and traditional lime and mortar used.

Stephen Guy, of the West Derby Society, said: "The courthouse reopened last July, and over the summer it had morethan 900 visitors. It was a great success considering there was very little publicity.

"This year so far we've been averaging 50 people each Sunday, although we've had up to 106 visitors in one afternoon."

The city's executive member for heritage, Cllr Berni Turner, said: "It's a credit to all the volunteers and local people who have got involved and to the council officers and English Heritage who have really pulled together on the project."

The courthouse has document cupboards dating from the early 18th century, which are believed to have come from the home of the Earl of Sefton when he moved to Croxteth hall. The date 1711 is carved into the wood.

The official reopening is at 10.30am this Saturday. The courthouse is open from 2-4pm every Sunday from April to October and entry is free.

Hidden Charm - a must!!

ADVERTISING

YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

It's on my doorstep as well I really should take advantage of things like this,great news this though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    It's on my doorstep as well I really should take advantage of things like this,great news this though.
    Mine too, Paul. I must pass it most days, although I've never been in it! I find it difficult to see how they spent 110,000 renovating it though.

There's a building of similar age and style directly opposite which someone started to renovate a while ago, but work seems to have stopped more's the pity.

Pics courtesy of Keele University
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Pictures please dudes and dudettes
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

I went in it many years back.

I've got a pamphlet with some of the history of West Derby - must root it out.

Thanks

Excellent pictures scousemouse I hope you don't mind I've borrowed them and put them on SSC because the picture we had there was very poor,I suppose I should have asked first but it is all for the good of Liverpool,please forgive me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast