Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Dock

Gerard

I am absolutely delighted AK with the way our City is going forward and the Developments that are under construction,We will soon have a town as good as any and something for My Grandkids to be proud of..(When they come along !)
    I'm not having a go at New apartment develpments just for the sake of it..
    I would really like to know though when Houses are going to get built for Ordinary people..
    Anyone who says Ordinary people can afford whats going to be developed in Stanley Dock are Kidding themselves,Or just wont admit it..Theyr'e gonna cost at least £400,000 by the time they are finished.
    Can anyone answer this one...Where and when was a traditional Housing estate last put up in Liverpool..I cant remember..
    Otterspool !!..I dunno..

I agree, these apartments won't be affordable to the average joe, but there will be people in Liverpool who can afford them. When I said there are houses being built and refurbished, they are actually being built now. Ellergreen in norris green, numerous houses under refurbishment in kenny and houses being built in toxteth. There are also houses and apartments being built all over the city that are shared ownership only, specifically for low income or first time buyers.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I agree, these apartments won't be affordable to the average joe, but there will be people in Liverpool who can afford them. When I said there are houses being built and refurbished, they are actually being built now. Ellergreen in norris green, numerous houses under refurbishment in kenny and houses being built in toxteth. There are also houses and apartments being built all over the city that are shared ownership only, specifically for low income or first time buyers.

People are even being taken out of Council dwellings to make them into Yuppie apartments..
    That cant be right !!...

Right, I'm not going to stir up any more arguments. Instead, here are some photos taken from various places over the last year, plus a few from inside the south warehouse.

Dock market fear for jobs
    Mar 28 2007
    by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL’S Sunday heritage market could be moved elsewhere in the city if its Stanley Dock home is redeveloped.

The weekly event will have to leave its historic waterfront home if multi-million pound plans to transform the old tobacco warehouse are approved.

But owner Kitgrove hopes to hold talks with Liverpool council about its future and possible relocation.

The market will have to move because the new plan, unveiled by the ECHO yesterday, involves digging out the centre of the main warehouse to create a garden courtyard.

All three buildings on the Grade II-listed site would then be converted into apartments.

Kitgrove’s agent David Smith said: “If we get planning permission, we would not start work until late 2008 or the beginning of 2009 at the earliest.

“I envisage that we would start discussions with the council regarding the future of the heritage market over the course of the next two years.

“I do not think there is any real need to have firm proposals at the moment, because we have plenty of time.”

But traders are already concerned about what the future holds for their businesses.

Dash Sidhu, who has run a ladies fashion stall at the heritage market for 15 years, said: “This is not really a surprise – it has been on the cards for a long while.

“There are a lot of people who will be worried about their jobs if it closes.”

Kitgrove’s plan was welcomed today by community leaders, who hope it will boost the regeneration of deprived north Liverpool.

Kirkdale councillor Joe Hanson said: “We want to see this site developed because it looks derelict at the moment.”

What you have to say

Andy Salter, 42, of Litherland says: “Something needs to be done with that site. They didn’t have much space inside the old Tobacco Warehouse, so it would be interesting to see what they do with it.”

Kaylei Cook, 18, Walton: “It’s a great idea. It looks so scruffy down there. I used to live by that area so I know it would be a good thing. With the Capital of Culture, why not?”

Kim Romano, 42, Liverpool: “I don’t think they should just tear apart a monument to Liverpool’s history, they should build a museum there or something. The Heritage Market is part of who we are.”

Anita Hale, 34, Everton: “The old buildings need to go. The Heritage Market is old and cold anyway, I never go down there. They should get rid of it as soon as possible.”

Michael Newton, 48, Northwich says: “I think more shops is a bad idea. We’ve got enough as it is. And after this, they’ll just keep on building, it’s ridiculous.”

Jed James, 46, who runs a butcher’s stall in St Johns Market, says: “If the Stanley Dock reconstruction affects livelihoods then it’s definitely a bad thing. Too many jobs are being lost these days.”

nick.coligan@liverpool.com

Source: icLiverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Anita Hale, 34, Everton: “The old buildings need to go. The Heritage Market is old and cold anyway, I never go down there. They should get rid of it as soon as possible.”
    Stupid cow. I bet she reads Heat magazine. How can you not appreciate such a spectacular building?

Jed James, 46, who runs a butcher’s stall in St Johns Market, says: “If the Stanley Dock reconstruction affects livelihoods then it’s definitely a bad thing. Too many jobs are being lost these days.”
    This bloke's missed the point a bit. You can't justify keeping three buildings almost virtually empty just to keep some market traders on the ground floor happy. I'm sure there are plenty of places nearby the market could be relocated to.

I would be nice if they did some organised tours of the main warehouse before conversion, but no doubt they won't...

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

All I have to say is that its as good as its going to get!

However, wont these plans come into conflict with the Liverpool Waters Scheme?

EDIT: Why are they making a fuss about the Heritage Market? I heard that they were going to re-locate the market somewhere else!
    Last edited by wallasey; 03-28-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Whatever happened to the top floor of St John's after the fire. It always bemused me why the Church Street stall holders and/or the council didn't see this space as obvious, is it a danger or something, it's not in use is it or have I been walking around with my eyes shut?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gnomie

Dock market fear for jobs
    Mar 28 2007

Kim Romano, 42, Liverpool: “I don’t think they should just tear apart a monument to Liverpool’s history, they should build a museum there or something. The Heritage Market is part of who we are.”

Gnomie

Great pics Snappel.

My great grandfather was a PRESSMAN here. im wondering what all the machinery is.

Really? The machinery shown there in the first two pictures are presses. The first is a hydraulic one, and the second is a set of screw presses. These are all in the south warehouse. On the ground floor of the Tobacco Warehouse are the remains of another set of screw presses.

If your grandfather was a 'pressman', then I'm guessing he would have operated this equipment. Tobacco was stored in 'hogshead' containers, and the lids had to be pressed on. Interestingly the Tobacco warehouse was designed around the dimensions of the hogsheads, and this accounts for the low ceilings - something which will provide an interesting challenge for the architects!

I don't suppose your grandfather is still alive, or left any memoirs did he? I've been having very little luck finding accounts from people who worked in the warehouses.

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Right, I'm not going to stir up any more arguments. Instead, here are some photos taken from various places over the last year, plus a few from inside the south warehouse. . . .

Great photographs as usual, Snappel. I was wondering if you might have close ups of that graffiti on the black boarding to the right of the door (a monkey's face?) and of the number above the door. Thanks in advance.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Sorry Chris, I don't have any. I'll ask a couple of other people who were with me if they can help. I'd like to spend a day in there really and go over the place in better detail.

Sorry Chris, I don't have any. I'll ask a couple of other people who were with me if they can help. I'd like to spend a day in there really and go over the place in better detail.
    Okay, just thought I would ask in case you happened to focus in on them.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Gnomie

Really? The machinery shown there in the first two pictures are presses. The first is a hydraulic one, and the second is a set of screw presses. These are all in the south warehouse. On the ground floor of the Tobacco Warehouse are the remains of another set of screw presses.

If your grandfather was a 'pressman', then I'm guessing he would have operated this equipment. Tobacco was stored in 'hogshead' containers, and the lids had to be pressed on. Interestingly the Tobacco warehouse was designed around the dimensions of the hogsheads, and this accounts for the low ceilings - something which will provide an interesting challenge for the architects!

I don't suppose your grandfather is still alive, or left any memoirs did he? I've been having very little luck finding accounts from people who worked in the warehouses.

Cheers Snappel

can i copy the pics to my computer please.

It was my great Grandfather who worked there as a Pressman. he also worked as a Oil Pressman but ive not found out where.

He is long gone Snappel, Germans got him in WW1, 1917

but here he is in Uniform.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast