Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Dock

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    but it brings so many outsiders who dont want to mix with the locals. i think it pushes local people further out of the city center. still who am i to complain im just a local looking to get out of this city that is changing for the worse for my liking.
    I disagree. How do you know they don't want to mix with locals? I don't see how local people are pushed out of the city centre when a lot of the developments are new housing that wasn't there before. Ask yourself, why would people want to move to the city? Surely regeneration is a good thing? Let's face it, Liverpool no longer has any industry, so students, tourism and regeneration should all be embraced. Strangely though I see lots of resentment for students and people who are 'not from around here'.

Plenty of times I see people on here complaining because Manchester get this that and the other, but if you want to keep Liverpool 'for locals only' it's just not going to happen.

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Default More Apartments?

It's a shame we can't get business to do anything with these buildings other give yet more apartments. If the Liverpool Waters project goes ahead, the whole around area here will be one huge yuppie apartment.

This is a grand building which should've been converted into a World & Northern Trade Centre, British Library North, National Military/Naval/Whatever Museum, another internationally significant art gallery(maybe focussing on a single movement, area or artist)....

That's the landmark significance and quality of this structure, not just to be another soulless apartment conversion, presumably gated and dead like the Waterloo..

Apartments can be built anywhere ffs, but we'll never get buildings like this again. It's a bit like selling off more of the family jewels for a pittance.

I mean could we at least not have band rehearsal spaces, local artist studios and projects (like the Buddleia), included into the scheme???
    .................................................. ...............

Anyway, apartments it is. Hopefully successful, hopefully open access, and hopefully feeding round the clock life and activity in the form of bars etc, etc etc...unlike the Waterloo.

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    I disagree. How do you know they don't want to mix with locals? I don't see how local people are pushed out of the city centre when a lot of the developments are new housing that wasn't there before. Ask yourself, why would people want to move to the city? Surely regeneration is a good thing? Let's face it, Liverpool no longer has any industry, so students, tourism and regeneration should all be embraced. Strangely though I see lots of resentment for students and people who are 'not from around here'.

Plenty of times I see people on here complaining because Manchester get this that and the other, but if you want to keep Liverpool 'for locals only' it's just not going to happen.
    We can still have industry Snap.

There's a growing realisation in Europe that giving up on manufacture so easily her was a panic and short-sighted response. Sheffield in common with many other places in Europe are stating to claw back some of their traditional industries by developing ultra hi-tech ways of making them cheaper to produce that our competitors.

My worry is that when the industry wheel turns back in our favour again, places like Liverpool will have surrendered all it's industrial spaces to half empty holiday apartments.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post

I have my opinions and you have yours.

I lived in Faulkner street with the students for 8 years, i drank in student hangouts and had a ball with them, half my family are Irish, many live in the Wirral. my best friend is from Sevilla. i dont think i have anything against people who are not from this city. I dont like jolly boys coming here and taking over, i have done lots of work in the Albert Dock apartments, mainly for solicitors, bankers and business people. money people will live in the Stanley Dock. Liverpool is the place to be for them at the moment, will it in 5-10 years?

what about the people in areas like Norris green, croxteth, anfield, dovecot, dingle etc,etc, what does it mean to them? are these new apartments helping to stop crime in their area? catch the drug dealers? stop the joyriders?

also the Stanley Dock area was once home to thousands, are they being remembered in any way by this? will they build anything to show the history of the area? my ancestors worked there, they where very poor but survived the hardships. will they be remembered ? i doubt it. Thank god for the Scottie press for showing it like it was. i think they should give the flats to all the locals who stayed on in the area. make them affordable for locals to buy.
    fat chance .

I now work mostly on the outskirts of the city. the people are real there.
    I have a long term plan that will see me move away one day, how i hope it comes sooner.

Power to the people
    Last edited by Gnomie; 03-27-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    It's a shame we can't get business to do anything with these buildings other give yet more apartments. If the Liverpool Waters project goes ahead, the whole around area here will be one huge yuppie apartment.

This is a grand building which should've been converted into a World & Northern Trade Centre, British Library North, National Military/Naval/Whatever Museum, another internationally significant art gallery(maybe focussing on a single movement, area or artist)....

That's the landmark significance and quality of this structure, not just to be another soulless apartment conversion, presumably gated and dead like the Waterloo..

Apartments can be built anywhere ffs, but we'll never get buildings like this again. It's a bit like selling off more of the family jewels for a pittance.

I mean could we at least not have band rehearsal spaces, local artist studios and projects (like the Buddleia), included into the scheme???
    .................................................. ...............

Anyway, apartments it is. Hopefully successful, hopefully open access, and hopefully feeding round the clock life and activity in the form of bars etc, etc etc...unlike the Waterloo.
    Bravo something for the people

what about the people in areas like Norris green, croxteth, anfield, dovecot, dingle etc,etc, what does it mean to them? are these new apartments helping to stop crime in their area? catch the drug dealers? stop the joyriders?
    I don't see how that's relevant.

The Teardrop Explodes... regarding the industry, yes, there'll always be new industry, but it'll never be like it was. Nowhere in Britain will it ever be like it was. There'll always be things here and there, but it's not like the days when dockside industry provided employment for a large percentage of the cities population.

Whatever, I'm glad they're doing something with the dock warehouses. Yes, the other suggestions would be better, but apartments are better than demolition.

Bravo something for the people
    I really wanted that complex to be turned into a major gallery, a major library, just something of National and International significance, and for it to include worshops, projects, and studios for the disadvantaged kids of N.Liverpool to work alongside and learn from artists and musicians from the entire region.

Oh well...

Gnomie

You could have so many things going on in there, imagine it. how good would that be.

Blog Entries

As a market its proved sucessful, however, the building is too significant to just sit there opening of a weekend only.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gnomie

I agree Kev, but training centers, arts, music etc would keep it open all week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    As a market its proved sucessful, however, the building is too significant to just sit there opening of a weekend only.
    And too significant to be just another dead Waterloo mk2 flat conversion?

Ok let this happen, but let it happen with loads of new shops and bars and access for EVERYONE..Also let all those new businesses be locally owned and run new start-up, and not the usual sterile corporate-chain ****e you get on EVERY new development...

Why can't Liverpool trailbaze a whole new, unque LOCAL way of managing new development?

They should have lots of public areas, and lots of photos of the warehouse in use on the walls...

Got to agree with Gnomie here.

I am made up that something will get done with the buildings. It's excellent news, but it doesn't mean anything to me as an Anfield resident with not much hope of getting out.

Some of you have said that L'pool people can afford to live in these apartments .. well, I can safely say that no one I know could even dream of renting or owning one of them.

Of course, we do have a proffessional class here - we do have SOME Liverpudlians who can afford them .. but in general there are thousands of people from the districts that Gnomie listed that it will be meaningless to.

Will we see any of these on the Canal when the dock is finished >>>>

Would make a nice tourist attraction and a commuter link with the city.
    Phredd

Gnomie

Thats very sad Gerard, poor woman.

What are they planning to put in their place? and make sure they leave St Josephs door alone.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast