YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 136

Thread: Stanley Dock

  1. #1
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Stanley Dock



    AMBITIOUS plans have been unveiled for a multi-million pound redevelopment of Stanley Dock.


    The scheme includes digging out the centre of the Tobacco Warehouse to create a garden-filled courtyard surrounded by apartments.

    More than 930 apartments will be built in the three warehouses on the site, with 650 duplexes in the 13-storey Tobacco Warehouse itself.

    Reflective sails will be installed on the side of the dock to shine extra light on to the side of the giant warehouse, whose lower floors will become car parking for hundreds of vehicles.

    The development, due to start in late 2008 or early 2009, will take seven years to complete.

    But the regeneration scheme will mean the end of the heritage market on the Stanley Dock site.

    Plans were submitted to the city council last Friday and revealed at yesterday’s Liverpool ECHO Stop the Rot campaign meeting.

    Architect Howard Carter, from London-based Thinking Space Architects, said: “It’s a comprehensive redevelopment of the complex.

    “The north and south warehouse proposals are similar. We’ll remove some of the later additions at roof level, and return the buildings to their original form.

    “The area of the south warehouse closest to the Tobacco Warehouse will be offices and the other end will be accommodation.

    “The Tobacco Warehouse itself is a challenging building. Just the sheer size of it is an enormous logistical issue.

    “It’s 160ft from window to window and the ceiling height is only 7ft, it’s very deep and very shallow.

    “We’re going to take the core out of the building and create at central courtyard with gardens.”

    Some apartments will be a duplex with a two-storey high living area. The windows will also be enlarged.

    One-bedroom flats will surround the courtyard, while the building will also have 372 two-bedroom apartments and 53 three-bedroom flats.

    Offices, shops and restaurants are also included in the plans.

    Peter de Figueiredo, of English Heritage, said: “We’ve been quite closely involved in discussions with the architects and agents.

    “The north and south warehouse schemes are very sympathetic. The Tobacco Warehouse requires a lot more intervention and change to make it usable.”

    Stop the Rot forum chairman, the Bishop of Liverpool, the Rt Rev James Jones, said: “I welcome this development and it’s good to see them bringing in both work units and residential.”

    catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk



    ADVERTISING


    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  2. #2
    Senior Member Paul D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    This is fantastic news,how long have we waited for that?That's made my day that has,this is the knock on effect of Peels plans this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member AK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bootle
    Posts
    426
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Talking

    This is great news! This is yet another example of how our redevelopment will continue far beyond 2008. This is a fantastic proposal and it's great to see that EH are backing it aswell. It's great to see that more and more organisations are showing great faith and confidence in our city. This will be a massive project which will require some amazing feets of engineering to make it happen!

  4. #4
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Im glad the buildings are being saved, but who will live there? who will be able to afford it? outsiders?

  5. #5
    Senior Member AK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bootle
    Posts
    426
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Im glad the buildings are being saved, but who will live there? who will be able to afford it? outsiders?
    Yes they will be expensive and there will be outsiders living there, but that's what any city needs. We need people from 'outside' to live here to boost our population and economy. There will also be local people living there, we do have well off local people aswell.
    Then again, maybe some of them will be shared ownership and other similair projects aimed at first time buyers. We will have to wait and see.

  6. #6
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    we could all buy one between us and share it.

  7. #7
    snoochie boochie
    Guest snoochie boochie's Avatar

    Default

    Probably a crowd of them eastern folk, who swindle all our cash points. there very popular round here at the moment.

  8. #8
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default



    Im glad its been saved, imagine if that was gone.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Paul D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I do hope they keep the floating restaurants from the original plans,barges were able to moor up along side them,it looked brilliant.

  10. #10
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Im glad the buildings are being saved, but who will live there? who will be able to afford it? outsiders?
    Sorry, I don't understand this. Why can't local people afford it? There are plenty of people living in Liverpool who could buy or rent properties in the building. I don't see the logic there - sorry.

    As far as the buildings go, it's great news. Personally I'd love it to stay as it is, but we all know that's not logical. The most important thing is that the warehouses structures will be preserved for decades to come. Imagine they'd been demolished like so many others! Obviously the grain silo will be demolished, but that's not exactly historic. I just hope they preserve the remains of the pumping station at the river end of the dock.

    The Heritage Market will no doubt locate, but I don't care as it's a filthy mess anyway (sorry...) and was only ever good for one thing.

  11. #11
    Senior Member AK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bootle
    Posts
    426
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I do hope they keep the floating restaurants from the original plans,barges were able to moor up along side them,it looked brilliant.
    I think there are some on the image above, next to the northern warehouse.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Paul D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I think there are some on the image above, next to the northern warehouse.
    I'm not sure if that's the old image they've used there though,I'm inclined to think that it is,still I can't see why they wont with the new canal link already underway.

  13. #13
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand this. Why can't local people afford it? There are plenty of people living in Liverpool who could buy or rent properties in the building. I don't see the logic there - sorry.

    As far as the buildings go, it's great news. Personally I'd love it to stay as it is, but we all know that's not logical. The most important thing is that the warehouses structures will be preserved for decades to come. Imagine they'd been demolished like so many others! Obviously the grain silo will be demolished, but that's not exactly historic. I just hope they preserve the remains of the pumping station at the river end of the dock.

    The Heritage Market will no doubt locate, but I don't care as it's a filthy mess anyway (sorry...) and was only ever good for one thing.

    I know Liverpool people can afford it. but it brings so many outsiders who dont want to mix with the locals. i think it pushes local people further out of the city center. still who am i to complain im just a local looking to get out of this city that is changing for the worse for my liking.

  14. #14
    Newbie dups45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    We might see some people who have had to move away from liverpool to find jobs moving back

    My Family and many people i know always say liverpool suffers becuase there arnt enough jobs here, so the young ones like me always move away. It's True!

  15. #15
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dups45 View Post
    We might see some people who have had to move away from liverpool to find jobs moving back

    My Family and many people i know always say liverpool suffers becuase there arnt enough jobs here, so the young ones like me always move away. It's True!
    Many many ordinary people who moved away from Liverpool during the 80's are trying to move back but they are finding it extremely difficult.
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  16. #16
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    but it brings so many outsiders who dont want to mix with the locals. i think it pushes local people further out of the city center. still who am i to complain im just a local looking to get out of this city that is changing for the worse for my liking.
    I disagree. How do you know they don't want to mix with locals? I don't see how local people are pushed out of the city centre when a lot of the developments are new housing that wasn't there before. Ask yourself, why would people want to move to the city? Surely regeneration is a good thing? Let's face it, Liverpool no longer has any industry, so students, tourism and regeneration should all be embraced. Strangely though I see lots of resentment for students and people who are 'not from around here'.

    Plenty of times I see people on here complaining because Manchester get this that and the other, but if you want to keep Liverpool 'for locals only' it's just not going to happen.

  17. #17
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default More Apartments?

    It's a shame we can't get business to do anything with these buildings other give yet more apartments. If the Liverpool Waters project goes ahead, the whole around area here will be one huge yuppie apartment.

    This is a grand building which should've been converted into a World & Northern Trade Centre, British Library North, National Military/Naval/Whatever Museum, another internationally significant art gallery(maybe focussing on a single movement, area or artist)....

    That's the landmark significance and quality of this structure, not just to be another soulless apartment conversion, presumably gated and dead like the Waterloo..

    Apartments can be built anywhere ffs, but we'll never get buildings like this again. It's a bit like selling off more of the family jewels for a pittance.

    I mean could we at least not have band rehearsal spaces, local artist studios and projects (like the Buddleia), included into the scheme???
    .................................................. ...............

    Anyway, apartments it is. Hopefully successful, hopefully open access, and hopefully feeding round the clock life and activity in the form of bars etc, etc etc...unlike the Waterloo.

  18. #18
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    I disagree. How do you know they don't want to mix with locals? I don't see how local people are pushed out of the city centre when a lot of the developments are new housing that wasn't there before. Ask yourself, why would people want to move to the city? Surely regeneration is a good thing? Let's face it, Liverpool no longer has any industry, so students, tourism and regeneration should all be embraced. Strangely though I see lots of resentment for students and people who are 'not from around here'.

    Plenty of times I see people on here complaining because Manchester get this that and the other, but if you want to keep Liverpool 'for locals only' it's just not going to happen.
    We can still have industry Snap.

    There's a growing realisation in Europe that giving up on manufacture so easily her was a panic and short-sighted response. Sheffield in common with many other places in Europe are stating to claw back some of their traditional industries by developing ultra hi-tech ways of making them cheaper to produce that our competitors.

    My worry is that when the industry wheel turns back in our favour again, places like Liverpool will have surrendered all it's industrial spaces to half empty holiday apartments.

  19. #19
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    I disagree. How do you know they don't want to mix with locals? I don't see how local people are pushed out of the city centre when a lot of the developments are new housing that wasn't there before. Ask yourself, why would people want to move to the city? Surely regeneration is a good thing? Let's face it, Liverpool no longer has any industry, so students, tourism and regeneration should all be embraced. Strangely though I see lots of resentment for students and people who are 'not from around here'.

    Plenty of times I see people on here complaining because Manchester get this that and the other, but if you want to keep Liverpool 'for locals only' it's just not going to happen.
    I have my opinions and you have yours.

    I lived in Faulkner street with the students for 8 years, i drank in student hangouts and had a ball with them, half my family are Irish, many live in the Wirral. my best friend is from Sevilla. i dont think i have anything against people who are not from this city. I dont like jolly boys coming here and taking over, i have done lots of work in the Albert Dock apartments, mainly for solicitors, bankers and business people. money people will live in the Stanley Dock. Liverpool is the place to be for them at the moment, will it in 5-10 years?

    what about the people in areas like Norris green, croxteth, anfield, dovecot, dingle etc,etc, what does it mean to them? are these new apartments helping to stop crime in their area? catch the drug dealers? stop the joyriders?

    also the Stanley Dock area was once home to thousands, are they being remembered in any way by this? will they build anything to show the history of the area? my ancestors worked there, they where very poor but survived the hardships. will they be remembered ? i doubt it. Thank god for the Scottie press for showing it like it was. i think they should give the flats to all the locals who stayed on in the area. make them affordable for locals to buy.
    fat chance .

    I now work mostly on the outskirts of the city. the people are real there.
    I have a long term plan that will see me move away one day, how i hope it comes sooner.

    Power to the people
    Last edited by Gnomie; 03-27-2007 at 03:29 PM.

  20. #20
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    It's a shame we can't get business to do anything with these buildings other give yet more apartments. If the Liverpool Waters project goes ahead, the whole around area here will be one huge yuppie apartment.

    This is a grand building which should've been converted into a World & Northern Trade Centre, British Library North, National Military/Naval/Whatever Museum, another internationally significant art gallery(maybe focussing on a single movement, area or artist)....

    That's the landmark significance and quality of this structure, not just to be another soulless apartment conversion, presumably gated and dead like the Waterloo..

    Apartments can be built anywhere ffs, but we'll never get buildings like this again. It's a bit like selling off more of the family jewels for a pittance.

    I mean could we at least not have band rehearsal spaces, local artist studios and projects (like the Buddleia), included into the scheme???
    .................................................. ...............

    Anyway, apartments it is. Hopefully successful, hopefully open access, and hopefully feeding round the clock life and activity in the form of bars etc, etc etc...unlike the Waterloo.
    Bravo something for the people

  21. #21
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    what about the people in areas like Norris green, croxteth, anfield, dovecot, dingle etc,etc, what does it mean to them? are these new apartments helping to stop crime in their area? catch the drug dealers? stop the joyriders?
    I don't see how that's relevant.

    The Teardrop Explodes... regarding the industry, yes, there'll always be new industry, but it'll never be like it was. Nowhere in Britain will it ever be like it was. There'll always be things here and there, but it's not like the days when dockside industry provided employment for a large percentage of the cities population.

    Whatever, I'm glad they're doing something with the dock warehouses. Yes, the other suggestions would be better, but apartments are better than demolition.

  22. #22
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Bravo something for the people
    I really wanted that complex to be turned into a major gallery, a major library, just something of National and International significance, and for it to include worshops, projects, and studios for the disadvantaged kids of N.Liverpool to work alongside and learn from artists and musicians from the entire region.

    Oh well...

  23. #23
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    You could have so many things going on in there, imagine it. how good would that be.

  24. #24
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    As a market its proved sucessful, however, the building is too significant to just sit there opening of a weekend only.
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  25. #25
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    I agree Kev, but training centers, arts, music etc would keep it open all week.

  26. #26
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    As a market its proved sucessful, however, the building is too significant to just sit there opening of a weekend only.
    And too significant to be just another dead Waterloo mk2 flat conversion?

    Ok let this happen, but let it happen with loads of new shops and bars and access for EVERYONE..Also let all those new businesses be locally owned and run new start-up, and not the usual sterile corporate-chain ****e you get on EVERY new development...

    Why can't Liverpool trailbaze a whole new, unque LOCAL way of managing new development?

  27. #27
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    They should have lots of public areas, and lots of photos of the warehouse in use on the walls...

  28. #28
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Got to agree with Gnomie here.

    I am made up that something will get done with the buildings. It's excellent news, but it doesn't mean anything to me as an Anfield resident with not much hope of getting out.

    Some of you have said that L'pool people can afford to live in these apartments .. well, I can safely say that no one I know could even dream of renting or owning one of them.

    Of course, we do have a proffessional class here - we do have SOME Liverpudlians who can afford them .. but in general there are thousands of people from the districts that Gnomie listed that it will be meaningless to.

  29. #29
    Senior Member phredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    runcorn
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Will we see any of these on the Canal when the dock is finished >>>>



    Would make a nice tourist attraction and a commuter link with the city.
    Phredd

  30. #30
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Thats very sad Gerard, poor woman.

    What are they planning to put in their place? and make sure they leave St Josephs door alone.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!