Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Slavery Streets

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Here's a street missing from the slavery streets list shown in post No.45:
    "Crow St. made in 1809 was named after Captain Hugh Crow, the most famous of the Privateer & Slave trade Captains" (source: 240 Years On, A short history of R. S. Clare, pub. 1988).
    Marky they probably turned a blind eye on this one. Captain Hugh Crow was known as "Mind your eye, Crow" on account of him losing his right eye as a child.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Daz

Roscoe wrote a poem that mentions Penny Lane???? I don't think so. He has a poem titled "Mount Pleasant." As far as I know he wrote no poem that references Penny Lane.

All the best

Chris
    My mistake...I re-read Marky's original post 'Penny Lane, Liverpool shame' and thought it had something to do with Roscoe?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Daz

Roscoe wrote a poem that mentions Penny Lane???? I don't think so. He has a poem titled "Mount Pleasant." As far as I know he wrote no poem that references Penny Lane.

All the best

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post

My mistake...I re-read Marky's original post 'Penny Lane, Liverpool shame' and thought it had something to do with Roscoe?
    No. As I say I think that is probably a recent poem based on what I assume is the equally recent view that Penny Lane must be named for slave captain and merchant James Penny but that, as we have been discussing, might actually be mistaken if we can't find any documentation that the naming of the road was for Penny.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I checked the Library index for St James Church and found this extract:
    "The church was not assigned a Parish until 1844". This probably accounts for his burial here, even though he seems to have lived in Town (and married at St Nicholas 1768).
    http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...83%20JAM%27%29
    The first naming of Penny Lane, found so far, is the 1840s well after his death ((1799), or that of his eldest son (also James Penny d.1820). The track existed for many decades prior to this date and likely already had a name. As the census was 1841 I'd assume it was Penny Lane prior to this decade.
    A trawl of early newspapers would seem to be the most likely place to find street-name changes and announcements about creating new streets etc. I'd hate to be the one searching for the word 'penny', though.

Blog Entries

Good work Marky.

If there is a name-change notice to 'Penny Lane' in the newspapers (assuming it was actually named after James Penny) then I'd target the years 1799-1807. After 1807 (post-abolition of the slave trade) may have been an unpopular decision given the public mood at the time. Although it wasn't until the Slavery Abolition Act was passed in 1833 that gave all slaves in the British Empire their freedom.

"Penny" - I'm not volunteering to search either. :-)

Daz
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I checked the Library index for St James Church and found this extract:
    "The church was not assigned a Parish until 1844". This probably accounts for his burial here, even though he seems to have lived in Town (and married at St Nicholas 1768).
    http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...83%20JAM%27%29
    The first naming of Penny Lane, found so far, is the 1840s well after his death ((1799), or that of his eldest son (also James Penny d.1820).
    A trawl of early newspapers would seem to be the most likely place to find street-name changes and announcements about creating new streets etc. I'd hate to be the one searching for the word 'penny', though.
    Thanks, Marky. I think you are right that a trawl of early newspapers might elucidate the origin of the name "Penny Lane" so thanks for that. A study of land records or records of law cases also might help.

I have found a few early mentions of the name through Google Books, one of which might bear out my earlier suspicion that there may be a link between Penny Lane and the name Penketh Hall, a local mansion that stood near the junction of Greenbank Road and Smithdown Road:

"The names of Penny Lane and Penketh bear testimony to conflict, K. pinn-nidh, pinn-keit, both signifying battle-hill. The names of Penketh and Penny are of frequent occurrence on the ordnance survey."

In: Joseph Boult, F.R.I.B.A., "GLEANINGS IN THE EARLY HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL AND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD," Proceedings of the Liverpool Literary and Philosophical Society, Volume 30, 1876, pp. 153-82 (quote on page 171).

On the downside, if you look at the rest of the article, Mr Boult might be a bit creative in terms of some of his interpretations of local names, and as far as I know there is no independent verification that a battle took place in the neighborhood of Penny Lane and Penketh Hall. I am also not sure what he means by the designation "K." though elsewhere he uses "AS" which certainly denotes "Anglo Saxon." Look at his discussion of the possible origins of the name "Liverpool" at the top of p. 157 and where he also uses the abbreviation "K."

Penny Lane is also mentioned in The Times Law Reports, Volume 16, 1900, p. 44, in a law case, Littledale v. Liverpool College heard in the Court of Appeal, 1899, involving "a small strip of land near Toxteth-park, Liverpool":

"The land in dispute was a narrow strip open at both ends, situate between two fields belonging to a Dr. Solomon, the defendants' predecessor in title, and having hedges the whole length of the strip. The strip led from a public road called Penny-lane to a piece of land belonging to a person named Sinclair and adjoining the two fields above referred to, but separated by them from Penny-lane. In 1843 this piece of land, which was then pasture, was conveyed to the plaintiffs or their predecessor, and it is hereinafter referred to as the plaintiffs' field. The strip of land was grass and was the means of access to the plaintiffs' field from Penny-lane."

I am assuming the Dr. Solomon in question is the famed Dr. Samuel Solomon (1745–1819) of the Balm of Gilead who owned lands in Kensington and what is now south Liverpool. A grand mausoleum built on his estate in Mossley Hill was later demolished when the land was purchased by the London and North Western Railway Company and the remains of the doctor and his family removed to the Necropolis on West Derby Road.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

CG, I also found Boults article and was confused by the 'K'. I now realise it stands for 'Keltic'. Boult was writing in a time when K/Celtic was generally thought to mean Anglo-Saxon or Old English. The K simply means it was the Keltic name for something.

Thanks, Daz. Yes I somehow thought that might be what he meant.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

The 'Pennies lane' link I gave on post No. 80 has an incorrect transcription.
    I checked the 1841 census and it is recorded as PENNIS Lane. The name appears twice, next to Grove Cottage, copies below:

This site already had Grove Cottage, Pennis Lane, and the Census reference numbers:
    http://yourarchives.nationalarchives...reet_Index_G-K

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456