Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slavery Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Scousemouse
    It makes no difference what they change 'em to, they'll still be known by their original names to the people of Liverpool.
    You'll be telling me next that the people of Liverpool still refer to Liverpool John Moores University as Liverpool Poly. I do and I work there!

I still call Stockbridge Village Cantril Farm

...and Minster Court, Myrtle Gardens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    ...and Minster Court, Myrtle Gardens.
    My dad used to live in Myrtle Gardens when he was a kid.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

THE threat to Liverpool's famous street names such as Penny Lane and Rodney Street could be over.

Last night, council leader Warren Bradley said he was against the idea of wiping names with links to the slave trade from the map.

And it emerged that Cllr Barbara Mace is planning to amend her proposals to replace the names of slave traders with those of people involved in the abolition of slavery.

Cllr Bradley told the Post last night: "You can't rewrite history or pretend things never happened and I don't agree with the idea.

"Cllr Mace spoke to me about her proposals before she submitted the motion and I told her that I didn't agree and would be voting against it.

"But, if she feels so strongly about the issue, then she was right to pursue it."

Under the scheme, city centre Tarleton Street, Manesty's Lane and Clarence Street would all be removed from the records.

The name of Exchange Flags, where slave dealing took place, and Rodney Street, named after Admiral Lord Rodney, a staunch supporter of the slave trade could also be relegated to history books.

But Liverpool's most famous street name Penny Lane, which was immortalised by the Beatles, would also be under threat because it was named after 18th century slave trader James Penny.

At the time, he was presented with a silver table setting by Liverpool's political leaders for his support for the slave trade, on which Liverpool's fortunes depended.

The names would be replaced by anti-slavery figureheads such as William Roscoe and William Wilberforce, if the motion is approved.

Cllr Mace was also calling for a street to be named after black teenager Anthony Walker.

Anti-racism campaigners welcomed the plans but the Rodney Street Association said it was a form of white-washing history.

Cllr Mace, who submitted the proposals to mark the bicentenary in 2007 of the abolition of the slave trade, said she plans to amend her motion ahead of this week's council meeting.

She said: "I was never intending to rewrite history. I just thought with the amount of regeneration going on in the city centre at the moment, it is a good opportunity."

jessicashaughnessy@dailypost.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

they're all goin mad now - doesn't Penny Lane bring in loads of tourists??? Isn't that what the council abuse to the max selling the city to tourists??? Seems to be the main thing they all bang on about - they're cutting their noses off to spite they're faces.

It's like they're doin they're upmost to f*cuk the place up.

Makes me sick

Its just one bonkers councillor, who is living on a different planet to the rest of us. Poor old Warren must be groaning at having such dim wits in his group.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    My dad used to live in Myrtle Gardens when he was a kid.
    I probably know him.

FKoE

Well the council member has withdrawn her proposal in favour of an added plaque to the streetname sign, informing the citizen how the street name originated.......... Good news all round eh?

FKoE

Boss news, now where does she go from here? A few seminars, conferences etc?
    ..... The train home ?

FKoE

Thumbs up

Mr Warren seems to have his head screwed on. I just hope these plans come to nothing.

" She has discussed her move with city council leader Cllr Warren Bradley who endorses her decision to put the proposal up for debate by the full city council."

Echo 7/7/06

Head screwed on? ROTFL
    No just waiting to see which way the wind was blowing before 'showing a lead'. Of course the plan came to nothing - it was a City Council proposal.

I can see it now when the Beatles fans protest at messing about with penny lane.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Idea Dropped - BBC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Glad it's been dropped. They were going to change Exchange Flags into Idepedance Square! How pathetic!

Can you imagine the confusion directing people to "Wilberforce Lane" (formerly Penny Lane).

"Err, there was a Penny Lane, but it got changed mate!"

But how pathetic! I mean really! And if anyone has noticed, we actually already have a Roscoe Street in the City, it's below Rodney Street. Strange that isn't it!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast