Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slavery Streets

Blog Entries

Default Slavery and Liverpool

A CLUTCH of Liverpool's most famous street names could disappear from the map because of their association with the Slave Trade, the Daily Post can reveal.

City centre Tarleton Street, Manesty's Lane and Clarence Street would be removed from all records to be replaced by names linked to the abolition of slavery such as William Roscoe and William Wilberforce.

The name of Exchange Flags, where slave dealing took place, and Rodney Street - named after Admiral Lord Rodney, a staunch supporter of the slave trade - could also be relegated to the history books.

Cllr Barbara Mace, who is promoting the scheme, also wants a street to be named after race murder victim Anthony Walker.

Her proposal is to be put before a meeting of the city council on Wednesday.

Last night, Cllr Mace insisted she was not trying to re-write history. She said: "I believe that this small gesture in 2007 will mean a great deal to many people."

Cllr Mace, who works in the Foundation for Citizenship at Liverpool John Moores University, says her proposal is aimed at marking the bicentenary in 2007, Liverpool's 800th birthday year, of the abolition of the slave trade.

The Woolton councillor has told colleagues: "I want the city council to resolve that all streets, squares and public places named after those involved in promoting or profiteering from the slave trade be renamed.

"I also want the council to mark the bicentenary by substituting new names celebrating those who opposed slavery and who represent diversity and the contemporary challenge of racial harmony."

Her plan was welcomed by Labour leader Cllr Joe Anderson, who says Exchange Flags could be re-named Independent Square.

He said: "You could say there is an argument for keeping things, warts and all, but normally streets are named as an accolade for people who deserve to be remembered for good deeds. There is nothing good about slavery."

Cllr Mace wants experts at the Merseyside Maritime Museum to give advice on the scheme to find new names.

She has discussed her move with city council leader Cllr Warren Bradley who endorses her decision to put the proposal up for debate by the full city council.

Cllr Mace said: "As part of our Roscoe Lectures at the foundation, we are organising events linked to the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the Slave Trade.

"I realised that many of our streets of today are linked to names or activities that involved slavery. One of the key names is Manesty's Lane, named after the owner of a fleet of slave ships.

"Grosvenor is carrying out its Paradise Street project and is re-configuring the streets around Hanover Street, including Manesty's Lane. I felt it would be a good opportunity to change the name.

"These names will still live on and I am not trying to sweep our past under the carpet. I do not know whether there will be any opposition, or if people will generally agree that this is a small gesture worth making.

"I can imagine there will be opposition to changing well-known names such as Rodney Street and Exchange Flags, but they also have an association with the Slave Trade.

"A lot of deals and transactions involving slave ships were carried out in Exchange Flags and Rodney Street is named after Admiral Lord Rodney."

The proposal sparked mixed reactions across the city last night.

Dr Emlyn Williams, chairman of the Rodney Street Association, said: "I'm totally opposed to this because it's a form of whitewashing history."

But Gloria Hyatt, founder member of the Afro-Carribean-led Merseyside Campaign Against Racist Terrorism, welcomed the idea.

She said: "I think we should change the street names and replace them with names that celebrate successful black people."

larryneild@dailypost.co.uk

City's merchants became rich from slave trade profits

LIVERPOOL'S links with the slave trade is well documented at the Merseyside Maritime Museum.

The city was a major slaving port and its ships and merchants dominated the transatlantic slave trade in the second half of the 18th century. The town and its inhabitants derived great civic and personal wealth from the trade which laid the foundations for the port's future growth.

Probably three-quarters of all European slaving ships at this period left from Liverpool. Overall, Liverpool ships transported half of the 3m Africans carried across the Atlantic by British slavers.

Nearly all the principal merchants and citizens of Liverpool, including many of the mayors, were involved. Thomas Golightly (1732-1821), who was first elected to the Town Council in 1770 and became Mayor in 1772-3, is just one example. Several of the town's MPs invested in the trade and spoke strongly in its favour in Parliament.

James Penny, a slave trader, was presented with a magnificent silver epergne in 1792 for speaking in favour of the slave trade to a parliamentary committee.

The last British slaver, the Kitty's Amelia, left Liverpool under Captain Hugh Crow in July 1807 - the year the British Parliament abolished the trade.

The most prominent abolitionists, Thomas Clarkson and William Wilberforce led the British parliamentary campaign to abolish the slave trade and slavery.

In Liverpool, William Roscoe was one of the best known abolitionists. He wrote poetry and pamphlets in favour of abolition. Opinion in Liverpool was generally pro-slavery and like other abolitionists, Roscoe tended to work behind the scenes rather than openly declaring his views.

Have your say...............
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Pure garbage. Why try to deny history? It puts me in mind of when a long established pub changes owners, who give it a new, flavour of the month name. You would have thought the councillors would have something better to do that debate this kind of nonsense.

I remember watching this programme about the Ivory Coast and what they do there is kidnap the kids at a very young age and take them in the middle of nowhere and make them pick cocoa for chocolate.If they try to escape they were tortured beaten or even killed and they estimated over 70% of the world's chocolate comes from this type of slavery,maybe we should be looking at this type of slavery that still exists instead of harping on about the past,maybe she should know this next time she settles down for a nice cup of tea and a choccy biscuit in front of a nice cozzy fire.One lad who had escaped was asked about what he thought about people who ate chocolate in wealthy countries and his reply was "you are eating my flesh" this is what we should be concerned about.

You have just given me the impetus to give up chocolate- why isnt this kind of thing common knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by bazzacat
    You have just given me the impetus to give up chocolate- why isnt this kind of thing common knowledge?
    It's because big companies make huge profits from chocolate and profit comes before morality I'm afraid.

Penny Lane under threat

Publisher: Keith Hall
    Published: 08/07/2006 - 15:09:19 PM

Hello...Goodbye
    Penny Lane?

A City Council meeting in Liverpool this Wednesday could opt to wipe Penny Lane - the street made famous by the Beatles' song - off the face of the earth because of its associations with the slave trade.

Councillors in Liverpool are considering plans to rename all streets named after people linked to slavery.

However, it appears the city's leaders were unaware that such a decision would mean losing one of its most famous and most photographed streets.

Penny Lane is thought to have been named after 18th century slave ship owner James Penny, who made his fortune in the industry.

The slave trader was presented with a silver table in 1792 for speaking out against the abolition of slavery to a parliamentary committee.

The plan to re-name the city's "slavery" streets has been put forward by local councillor Barbara Mace.

One of the suggestions includes renaming one of the streets in honour of black teenager Anthony Walker, who was murdered in a racist attack in Liverpool last year.

Originally, Cllr Mace called for "all streets, squares and public places named after those who were involved in promoting or profiteering from the slave trade" to be renamed.

But the councillor today distanced herself from the original proposals, which could have seen Penny Lane scrapped.

She said: "I wasn't aware that Penny Lane was named after someone involved in the slave trade.

"However, I am not suggesting that all streets in the city associated with slavery should be renamed.

"If that was the case I think most of the city would be affected.

"My proposal is to rename several of the streets in the city centre which are named after the more notorious slave traders and replace them with the names of people who have done something positive."

The proposal will be considered by the city council at a meeting on Wednesday evening.

Liverpool was a major slaving port dominating the transatlantic slave trade in the second half of the 18th century.

The town and its inhabitants derived great wealth from the trade.

Eric Lynch, an expert on Liverpool's slave trade, said: "Penny Lane is thought to have been named after James Penny, one of the slave ship owners.

"People may be surprised but I completely disagree with the idea that any street names should be changed.

"If you change the names then it is like it never happened, there is no proof and people will forget.

"You cannot and should not change history, however disagreeable it is."

Copyright - Press Association 2006
    Source: 24dash.com

FKoE

Street name changes are ill thought out.. Why not educate the citizens and 'tourists' of the history and of the origins..

Don't whitewash it ...

Barbara Mace is the Manager of the Foundation for Citizenship at Liverpool John Moores University whose Director is Professor the Lord Alton of Liverpool.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Barbara Mace is the Manager of the Foundation for Citizenship at Liverpool John Moores University whose Director is Professor the Lord Alton of Liverpool.
    Hey Howie, remember Mr Cisse who played for the 'pool ?

He's also a Lord

Good article by the way

Default Smokescreen

What's going on is pretty obvious, this is a completely pointless exercise designed to provoke a completely pointless row to divert attention from the total balls up they've made of the Robyn Archer situation.

Liverpool has historic links to the slave trade - something it has in common with many other British port. As someone said earlier an apology was made, airbrushing history is ridiculous let's move on.

Beatles save Penny Lane

Liverpool's world famous Penny Lane is to escape a name change - because of the famous Beatles song in its honour.

Liverpool council have undertaken plans to rename several of the cities streets that are associated with its past as a slave trading post.

Penny Lane came under scrutiny because it is named after James Penny, an 18th century slave ship owner.

However, council officials have now confirmed that the street will retain its name because of its connection with the Beatles and its position as a famous tourist attraction.

Speaking on behalf of Liverpool Council, Barbara Mace remarked: "I don't think anyone would seriously consider renaming Penny Lane. My proposal is to rename several of the streets and to replace them with the names of people who have done something positive."

Source: Virgin.net

So does that mean that Manesty and his ilk didn't exist or their deeds were never done? What a load of crap. These people (councilors) are making Liverpool the laughing stock of the world.

Sloyne these councillors are all rubbish. I would neva emply any of them. Clueless springs to mind wheneva I see them in the paper

This city has so many problems, I can't believe they've employed one whole person to work on renaming streets.

And what about all the problems caused by the renaming of streets? Postal deliveries, people with old maps trying to find the street, tourists, etc. Eventually, we all wind up having to make a trip to the fourth floor of the Central Library just to find out where a street used to be.

I agree: If someone is deserving of a street name, give them one of the newly built streets. Can't believe this is even being proposed as a serious idea.

Only Fools and ...Liverpool City Council! What next? Nelson Mandela Towers? OMG!

It makes no difference what they change 'em to, they'll still be known by their original names to the people of Liverpool.
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast