Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    georgie t

Arrow Lewis's department store 5th floor

had the chance to get on a tour and see this place this yr

somewhere ive always wanted to see and was glad to finally see it up close

they wernt too keen on photos getting taken aswell

its a pure time capsule

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Amazing. Swear, cross your heart you did not take these pics in 1969?
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

georgie t

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Amazing. Swear, cross your heart you did not take these pics in 1969?
    honestly i swear ha ha

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    It'll be a shame when that floor has gone (assuming it hasn't already). They should turn it into a mini museum
    it is a shame the tiled wall in the canteen is to be saved apparently its not long been listed so that will be staying the rest i think will be getting used as props for films etc

It'll be a shame when that floor has gone (assuming it hasn't already). They should turn it into a mini museum

I asked three of my cousins to get me a remembrance mug from there before it closed. I heard they had all kinds of souvenirs for sale but none of them had the time to go.

I know progress must be implemented, but to see Lewis's go is a tragedy.

My abiding memory of the store goes back to 1957. I went in there before then, but '57 was the birth of the 'Pop' generation in this country. Bill Haley was fading and new British talent was being promoted.
    The time I'm talking about was when Paul Anka was a favourite. But a new local singer called Russ Hamilton, from Birkenhead had a hit record called; We Will Make Love and it excited the people of Liverpool.
    Prior to 1960 not many people had Radiograms that played 45rpm and the Dansette record player had only just been introduced. To hear a new pop record, it was more than likely that you would hear it at the fairground in New Brighton, in a record shop or Radio Luxemburg. BBC radio had a phobia about playing anything other than Vera Lynn or Donald Peers and they hadn't introduced Radio One nor was Radio Caroline on air.
    The procedure to hear a new recording at Lewis's in those days, was, you went up to the counter in the Music dep't and asked the girl to play a particular record. She would tell you to go into a numbered booth and then play it. Because the store only had one sample disc it wasn't unusual to have to wait before you could hear one of the Top Twenty. That practice would seem tedious nowadays, but that's the way it was and you had to get along with it.

What I also remember about Lewis's cafe on the fifth floor was watching them make a Knickerbocker Glory for some lucky kid. Boy was I envious, I always wanted one. Alas, I grew out of the sweet tooth period of my life and never realized my yearning. Took to the sweet taste of the toasted Hop thereafter.

Good memories of a long gone era.

I don't remember the record booths at all!!! I remember the store though and shopped there constantly. I am really sad to hear of it going. Was there no petition? Without Jacquie Kennedy there would be no Grand Central Station in Manhattan and I petitioned for Radio City for months and for the Band Shell in the park (we had John's memorial there) We got so much attention we got to keep the shell (passed it twice yesterday) and Radio City (now has rock concerts as the days of variety have gone. They still have all the original art deco furniture and floors)

Sometimes people just don't know and we lose these treasures. When it is drawn to every-one's attention there will be someone willing to buy and restore it.

Oh yes. Thanks for this, I never think of e-bay. A friend sent me one of those last year, before I knew it was being closed and as I am a good friend I sent it to a Liverpool friend in the USA. I have the Welsh one too. Same bag but says Wales and has the dragon.

Cool, always look on ebay when shops are closing down. the amount of Woolies stuff that was on there and there's still some now

In fact, that may be mine, My friend I sent it to may have popped it on e-bay I just gave her the link for this site so I had better be careful,

Blog Entries

I bought a couple of mugs,a bag & a teatowel & the kids got nice souvenir booklets & mugs off father christmas
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Pity you are not one of my cousins!!!