Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dingle tunnels (overhead railway terminus)

another fantastic place to explore is the dingle tunnels currently used as roscoe garage it retains most of its original features and amells like central station
    Had to laugh at that one , Central Station lately smells like a thousand bad farts, its lost its old "underground station" smell. Great pic's by the way..
    These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/merseywail/

Rover P6
    Nowhere near it Philip,lookat the cornersof the windscreen and bonnet slope at front

Ask Georgie, to go and check it out!

I missed thi thread.

Bloomin fantastic Georgie. Well Done.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Nowhere near it Philip,lookat the cornersof the windscreen and bonnet slope at front
    This is the Ford Consul.
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...6_yellow_v.jpg

The car in the photo has raised side-lights.
    Also called the Rover 2500 (I think).

georgie t

cheers for the comments folks im due a revisit here mainly for better pics of the cars ill post em up soon

Nice one always wanted to have a look around down there.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

I went on a tour of the tunnel with a group from the Friends of Williamson Tunnels last year. Jolly good, we had to take torches and I don`t think it was quite as wet at that time - there were planks and stuff strategically placed to enable one to cross the wetter,muddier stretches. At the end, where the tunnel is bricked up, with just an arch of mesh at the top, we had a sort of ladder arrangement organised and were able to clamber up and look out through the mesh onto the outside world. Then came the trek back.... There are still some bits of the old signalling etc in the tunnel, but difficult to pick out. The end where the station,platforms etc were is interesting. Also the tiling of the tunnel roof shows signs of the disastrous fire which occurred on one occasion. I think there were fatalities, but can`t recall the details.

georgie t

that car at the end is a fiat 130 coupe

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...qi=g2&aql=&oq=

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Ask Georgie, to go and check it out!
    sorted

Quote Originally Posted by georgie t View Post
    that car at the end is a fiat 130 coupe

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...qi=g2&aql=&oq=

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

sorted
    Thanks Georgie, it was hard to tell what it was!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenkethPedant View Post
    I went on a tour of the tunnel with a group from the Friends of Williamson Tunnels last year. Jolly good, we had to take torches and I don`t think it was quite as wet at that time - there were planks and stuff strategically placed to enable one to cross the wetter,muddier stretches. At the end, where the tunnel is bricked up, with just an arch of mesh at the top, we had a sort of ladder arrangement organised and were able to clamber up and look out through the mesh onto the outside world. Then came the trek back.... There are still some bits of the old signalling etc in the tunnel, but difficult to pick out. The end where the station,platforms etc were is interesting. Also the tiling of the tunnel roof shows signs of the disastrous fire which occurred on one occasion. I think there were fatalities, but can`t recall the details.
    There were a couple of minor accidents at the Dingle Station, but the accident involving fatalities was 1901. There's a fascinating accident report, complete with witness statments and a full map of the station here:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/doc...php?docID=3178

Just click on the pdf icon to get the full report. It makes fascinating reading and brings the whole thing to life.

Minor fatalities?!?!? There was a major disaster when an electrical fire was fanned by the ventilation system, causing a train to go on fire, causing so many deaths and injuries that the station was completely closed down. It was uncertain as to whether it would open again at all at the time...

There were two earlier, minor incidents, prior to the turn of the century, before the fire in 1901 which resulted in fatalities. All three accidents are recorded and can be seen via the link I've posted. I did not mean for a moment to suggest that the fire causing six fatalities was in any way minor. I was simply seeking to give further information in line with the quoted post. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by georgie t View Post
    another fantastic place to explore is the dingle tunnels currently used as roscoe garage it retains most of its original features and amells like central station

the main platform area is getting used for the garage but the 3/4 of a mile long tunnel that extends out onto the dock road is just used for storage really and the very nice man who runs the place let me go up and have a look

this is what you see from the dock road the start of the overhead railway

Does this look familiar?!

I spotted this quite by chance in Wallasey whilst dropping my daughter off at work at Kelvin Rd near the four bridges. When I spoke to the owner about it, have a guess where he bought it from?! He's in the process of renovating it, so i'll take some more pics when I can and update as it goes along.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast