Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eldon Grove Housing

scouserdave

Forgot abut this one. A scale model of Eldon Grove. Taken about 10 years ago in the Museum of Liverpool Life. Don't know if it's still there though.

Blog Entries

Hi Dave
    the Museum of Liverpool Life closed last year

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Are these the Wavertree ones? Having seen these, derelict for many years with its associated antisocial behaviours, I was glad to have seen them converted and in use again. Many local people live in them now.

Now, converting similar housing into student accommodation? That's another thing!
    I've put the Wavertree Gardens ones in the Wavertree section Kev..I lived there as well....And in Gerard Gardens..Jaaaeesss..any wonder I've got a soft spot for these Tennies !!

The front of Great Richmond St dwellings with St Anne St police station on the right.

Last edited by Gerard; 04-07-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Dave. I remember seeing those Eldon Grove shots of yours first time round, brilliant. That model was partly an inspiration for my one too. Hopefully it will be housed in the new museum of liverpool life when it's built.

Gerard, I don't know if Ron Formby is up to date with what's happening with these. I know the original plan was for mock tudor style houses to be built in front of them too on the old playground, to compliment the restored blocks. It seemed that the developer was waiting for the show houses to be sold on the first finished block before he had the money to restore the rest but perhaps Dave can clarify that if he speaks with his mate.

Our Joe also lived in 'ghost town' - the local name for Gt Richmond street flats as they were so quiet. It was a scandal that the council let these and other tennies go to wrack and ruin and withold healthy development of them. You can see by what has happened with the bullring with uniformity of the walls all being painted the same colour and each landing having brightly colour coded front doors how aesthetically pleasing they are to the eye - they even have coke (that's coca cola by the way) machines at ground level, mind you, the security gate and 'no children' policy also probably lends to the fact they are not now graffitied to death.

I don't think you'll ever get that energy and activity that the square generated a few decades ago with students only though, nor probably the community spirit so if these types of accommodation have to go to students or yuppies to survive, better that, and the new housing is built for families, than them being demolished altogether. If something was going to be done to keep those squares as they were, it had to be done back then, the time has lapsed now,the moment has gone - hey is that a Pink Floyd line.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Dave. I remember seeing those Eldon Grove shots of yours first time round, brilliant. That model was partly an inspiration for my one too. Hopefully it will be housed in the new museum of liverpool life when it's built.

Gerard, I don't know if Ron Formby is up to date with what's happening with these. I know the original plan was for mock tudor style houses to be built in front of them too on the old playground, to compliment the restored blocks. It seemed that the developer was waiting for the show houses to be sold on the first finished block before he had the money to restore the rest but perhaps Dave can clarify that if he speaks with his mate.

Our Joe also lived in 'ghost town' - the local name for Gt Richmond street flats as they were so quiet. It was a scandal that the council let these and other tennies go to wrack and ruin and withold healthy development of them. You can see by what has happened with the bullring with uniformity of the walls all being painted the same colour and each landing having brightly colour coded front doors how aesthetically pleasing they are to the eye - they even have coke (that's coca cola by the way) machines at ground level, mind you, the security gate and 'no children' policy also probably lends to the fact they are not now graffitied to death.

I don't think you'll ever get that energy and activity that the square generated a few decades ago with students only though, nor probably the community spirit so if these types of accommodation have to go to students or yuppies to survive, better that, and the new housing is built for families, than them being demolished altogether. If something was going to be done to keep those squares as they were, it had to be done back then, the time has lapsed now,the moment has gone - hey is that a Pink Floyd line.

I dont want them knocked down Ged..Surely something could have been done though mate to do them up and put Local people in them..
    Obviously local people are not a priority...Wheres all this Local regeneration funding gone..the likes of what was supposed to go to Kensington..
    Ive got family and friends up there and all they got was New doors and Windows..
    Somebody somewhere has pocketed a lot of money out of all this and its Scandalous mate..

MP's and the Like !!..start out on the Shop floor with the gift of the gab and are gonna do this that and the other...I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them.

I have become..Comfortably numb..by the way !!
    Last edited by Gerard; 04-08-2007 at 01:09 AM.

It's just like a distant ship's smoke on the horizon isn't it Gerard. Hopefully, with the building of the new Trinity school on James Clark street, the old Our Lady's site and perhaps the old Aldi site will become housing for local people to rent.

It's like all those flats being demolished around you way now. Mandy Carberry told me a while back that out of the 90 or so new houses being built there, only about 30% will be for rent so it seems it's as difficult as ever to remain in your own, old community - nothing has been learnt after shipping all the Scottie roaders out in the 1960s.

Question eldon st. photo's.

hi dave,
    what's up? your great pic's of eldon st. have disappeared!!!!!!!

Default photo's have returned!!!!!!!!

above photo's are now back, must be my p/c

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    above photo's are now back, must be my p/c
    Thanks for the feedback Steve. I think your PC's OK mate. My server's been acting the arsehole recently

From a City of Liverpool pamphlet 'Artizans and labourers dwellings' - 1913.
    Source: Can be viewed at the Liverpool records office. Out of copyright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H013500.jpeg 
Views:	541 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	2080  

Gnomie

Default Eldon Grove Flats???

I was up here on Tuesday. sad to see the work has stopped on these flats. anyone know if it will start again?

Gnomie

Also saw this old pub near to Our Ladys church . any info on it ? how old ? when closed?

I hope Ged logs in soon

Hello Tony. ScouserDave knows George who is doing the flats up, the last I heard was that he was waiting for takers on the finished showflats (the left hand block nearest Vauxhall Road before he had the funding to carry on with the rest)

The Non Pareil (meaning, Having no equal) only closed down a couple of years ago, my ma-in-law used to go there when visiting us, i've picked her up from there (literally) many a time

Eldon Street school (Our Lady's) will close now the new one is open on Titchfield Street on the site of Mother Theresa's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    I was up here on Tuesday. sad to see the work has stopped on these flats. anyone know if it will start again?

That fenced off area with the railings around it was where the we used to play in the street football competition run by the Liverpool police. The street where I lived was outside the area so I guested for Flinders or Rockingham street. It looked a lot bigger when we were kids.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    That fenced off area with the railings around it was where the we used to play in the street football competition run by the Liverpool police. The street where I lived was outside the area so I guested for Flinders or Rockingham street. It looked a lot bigger when we were kids.
    Glad to hear it brings back memories for you

Any idea how old the Non Pareil is?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast