Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Walton District

PhilipG

Default Community Open Day at Walton Church.

Lord Mayor of Liverpool.

Town Crier of Lancashire.

What's the matter with ewe?

Hello kid!

The choir.

The old Grammar School.

Clearing up.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-17-2007 at 01:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Great Photos Phil & Wallasey I'm sorry I missed it
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Phil: I think I know who you are now; ! I was sat at the back of the church with a black coat on.

Did you buy the book? I have done, and must say it is a great little piece of work; quite reasonably priced as-well!

I took a few films which should end up on myspace at some point in time; dont expect the best quality though, my camera isn't all that hot on films!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Talking about Walton. Is the Herbal Shop still there. AS youngsters we always went there for a Pint of Sars. And a packet of Woodies.
    They also sold Vimto as well as a load of other soft drinks straight from the porcelain barrels on the shelf behind the counter, The shop was in at the front of St Marys as I remember. There was another Milk Bar further down the road almost opposite the Hospital (Used to work there,the hospital), but it didn't have the character of the Herbal. I must agree with Walton not being what it was though. My wife and I were back in Liverpool in 2003 for the first time in twenty five years. We went to where I used to live (Sonning Rd off Richard Kelly Drive) and it looked like a slum. Houses looking decrepit and uncared for, some with windows boarded up,and worst of all. Not a tree to be seen. When we left it was a lovely road, the trees in summer would almost touch one another over the road making a tunnel, and the people that lived there took pride in the presentation of their homes....WHAT THE F*** HAPPENED???

That Lord Mayor's grin = Creepy.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Just prepairing an update for Flickr;

Does anyone have any info on Walton Park? ie When it was built and all the general things like that. I am guessing the railway had something to do with it as Walton Station is closer to Walton Park than Hornby Road! There is also a walkway between the two as-well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and full credit will be given on the Walton page!

Many Thanks

Russ
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Blog Entries

A STREET of Victorian terraced houses once destined for the wrecking ball has been saved and restored, with the first show home opening today.

Every house on Tancred Road in Anfield, near Liverpool football club’s ground, has been uninhabitable for the last eight years and residents have fought to keep them standing. continues...
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post

Does anyone have any info on Walton Park? ie When it was built and all the general things like that. I am guessing the railway had something to do with it as Walton Station is closer to Walton Park than Hornby Road! There is also a walkway between the two as-well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and full credit will be given on the Walton page!

Many Thanks

Russ
    This was written by Kay Parrott and is from the Alan Godfrey reprint of the 1906 OS map (Lancashire Sheet 106.03).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w h park.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	3644  

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post

Many Thanks

Russ
    There used to be a Hall in Walton Park hence its proper titile Walton Hall Park. It was demolished in the early 20th century. I think the park was opened proper when the east Lancs was constructed.

Libertarian

From Wikipedia

'Walton Hall Park in Walton, Liverpool, England is 130 acre park. It was opened to the public on July 18, 1934 by King George V when he visited Liverpool to open the Queensway Tunnel. The origins of the park date back to Henry de Walton steward of the West Derby hundred in 1199.'

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    From Wikipedia

'Walton Hall Park in Walton, Liverpool, England is 130 acre park. It was opened to the public on July 18, 1934 by King George V when he visited Liverpool to open the Queensway Tunnel. The origins of the park date back to Henry de Walton steward of the West Derby hundred in 1199.'
    Walton Hall - Source LCC

Attachment 3656
    Last edited by Cadfael; 08-28-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Default Walton Hall Occupants

Thought people might like to see who lived there in 1881 census. Info off www.familysearch.org

Georgina (correctly Georgiana) Naylor was the wife of John Naylor a director of the Bank of North and South Wales. Both their portraits are in the walker Art Gallery Liverpool and a sculpture of their children by Spence is at Sudley House, Mossley Hill, Liverpool

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability

Georgina NAYLOR Head M Female 62 Great Ness, Shropshire, England
    John NAYLOR Son U Male 25 Leighton, Montgomery, Wales Banker
    Margaret NAYLOR Dau U Female 32 Liscard, Cheshire, England
    Georgina NAYLOR Dau U Female 26 Liscard, Cheshire, England
    Eva NAYLOR Dau U Female 21 Walton, Lancashire, England
    John E. DRUMMOND Gd Son U Male 7 Weymouth, Dorset, England Scholar
    Mary DRUMMOND Gd Dau U Female 4 Leighton, Montgomery, Wales Scholar
    Constance D. DRUMMOND Gd Dau U Female 2 Scotland
    Lilla THOMPSON Governess U Female 26 London, Middlesex, England Governess
    Ann PROUDLEY Serv U Female 61 High Ercoll, Shropshire, England Housekeeper Dom Serv
    Sarah E. MOORE Serv U Female 28 Leamington, Warwick, England Ladys Maid Dom Serv
    Frances M. REEVES Serv U Female 22 Walton, Lancashire, England Ladys Maid Dom Serv
    Jane EDWARDS Serv U Female 22 Churchstown, Montgomery, Wales Nurse Dom Serv
    Sariah WILKINS Serv U Female 23 Harbury, Warwick, England School Room Maid Dom Serv
    Charlotte ALIBONE Serv U Female 28 Wellsbourne, Warwick, England Waitress Dom Serv
    Eliza BILL Serv U Female 22 Welshpool, Montgomery, Wales Kitchen Maid Dom Serv
    Margaret GWILT Serv U Female 19 Churchstoke, Montgomery, Wales Scullery Maid Dom Serv
    Jane MOVIES Serv U Female 20 Fordon, Montgomery, Wales House Maid Dom Serv
    Hannah J. COOPER Serv U Female 26 Morton, Cheshire, England Dairy Maid Dom Serv
    Last edited by taffy; 06-29-2007 at 02:06 PM.

PhilipG

It's interesting that nearly everybody was born outside Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It's interesting that nearly everybody was born outside Liverpool.
    The family also owned Leighton Hall near Welshpool, Montgomeryshire and seemed to live in both houses at different times of the year. This would explain the Welsh staff. John Naylor was born in Liverpool but his father came from Cheshire. John Naylor for a time in the 1840s lived at the Manor House, Liscard, Wallasey. The family also lived in Rodney St but subsequently converted the house into a branch of the Bank of North and South Wales of which they were directors. This later became the Midland Bank and these days HSBC Bank.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    The family also owned Leighton Hall near Welshpool, Montgomeryshire and seemed to live in both houses at different times of the year. This would explain the Welsh staff. John Naylor was born in Liverpool but his father came from Cheshire. John Naylor for a time in the 1840s lived at the Manor House, Liscard, Wallasey. The family also lived in Rodney St but subsequently converted the house into a branch of the Bank of North and South Wales of which they were directors. This later became the Midland Bank and these days HSBC Bank.
    Yes, I noticed the Naylor child was born in Walton and thought that the father might be from Liverpool.
    Very interesting to find out how a bank came to be in Rodney Street.
    It always seemed to be the only bank in quite a large area.
    The ones near the university being comparitively new.
    Funnily enough the next nearest bank (apart from Bold Street) was probably the N & S Wales Bank at Great George Place (the building is still there).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast