Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walton District

Blog Entries

Default Walton District

Did u ever get confused when u were a kid? I did, I used to think they were the same place:

Walton v Woolton

WALTON is going up against the likes of Woolton to prove it is the prettiest place in Liverpool.

Organisers hope the area’s floral displays could win it a coveted “in bloom” accolade in 2007.

Walton is joining the battle to be crowned North West In Bloom for the first time in its long history.

It is being backed by Liverpool council, and floral experts are hoping to transform the area with shrubbery, plants and flowers.

It is hoped the city’s latest entry will help Liverpool win the right to host the awards in Capital of Culture year.

Ron Molyneux, 76, a member of the Walton Development Trust Steering Group, said: “This is exactly what it needs – it will be like it was when I was a kid.

“We shouldn’t allow the 1% of idiots to ruin things for the 99% of people who live here.

“I want to get shops, pubs, local schools and churches all pulling together with the council to transform Walton into a bright and beautiful area.

“We should grab this chance for Walton to look good again, it’s a wonderful opportunity. People have been working very hard behind the scenes, so let us all give them the backing they deserve.”

The steering group has worked with councillors and groups including the Friends of Walton Churchyard, Friends of Walton Park, Walton Youth Project and Rice Lane Community Association to drive forward Walton in Bloom.

Young members of the In Bloom group will plant floral displays in pots and containers in Walton Village.

They also hope to plant window boxes, hanging baskets and pots along County Road and Rice Lane.

Cllr Marilyn Fielding, Liverpool’s executive member for housing and neighbourhoods, said: “Walton may be in competition with areas like Woolton Village, but it’s the city that will be the real winner.”

catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Walton's a ghetto and Woolton's a Village, I knew the difference.

My brother mixes up the words though.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Woolton a Village

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Would those delightful tower blocks in Woolton be your definition of village architecture then Max

PhilipG

It depends what you mean by ghetto, Max.

It could be said that Woolton is a ghetto for the rich.

Default Walton Village

There is of course a district called Walton Village based around St Mary's Church.

Interestingly the church is a Celtic Church foundation dating back to the 6th C . Hence the Anglo Saxons named the village Walton ie foreigner town ie Welsh Town. The church still possess its typical Welsh "Llan" type churchyard. This is a large circular enclosure which came to mean a church in Welsh.

I have a particular interest in this churchyard as there are family ancestors buried there from the 1750s onwards. Of course it was Liverpool's parish church for nearly 500 years until about 1698.

Blog Entries

I remember a while ago someone posting about scousers, true scousers can only be born in Walton.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gerard

Wink

And what exactly would yer call Wavertree Max..
    Theres a shooting or a stabbing every week on the High St isnt thee.
    That must be one of them Posh Ghetto's eh Maxie..
    Last edited by Gerard; 03-23-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Gnomie

Wavertree is cool.

Idiots in bars are the trouble. same in Old Swan, no trouble till the drunks come out to play at night.

Gnomie

I love St Marys church. and the old school at the side. Walton should fight to save the old Bedford Cinema from proposed demolitition.

why play areas off against eachother, its all Liverpool. so much to see in every area.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Wavertree is cool.

Idiots in bars are the trouble. same in Old Swan, no trouble till the drunks come out to play at night.

Hello Tony Lad...I lived in Wavertree Gardens and had some of the happiest time's of my life there,
    I still go and sit off in the Mystery quite often..I love the place.
    If Walton is a Ghetto though mate then Im afraid Wavertree these Days Im sorry to say is even worse.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    I love St Marys church. and the old school at the side. Walton should fight to save the old Bedford Cinema from proposed demolitition.why play areas off against eachother, its all Liverpool. so much to see in every area.
    Quite right.
    English Heritage are considering Listing it, but nothing will happen before the summer.

Blog Entries

There's a ghetto everywhere apart from where Max lives, if its not Wavertree, its the ghetto

Silks in Wavertree had some great nights before it was shut down as did the manor on edge lane.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Those tower blocks In Woolton are the one of the only few things that look they were made In the 70's In Woolton.

What I consider Ghetto Is Toxteth, Dingle, Huyton, McDonalds Part of Aigburth, Belle Vale, Some of Garston(I like the park and Library area though thats not ghetto looking), Scottie Road, Old Swan, Broad Green, Lawerence Road/part of Picton Road end of Wavertree, some of Halewood, Speke except for the Retail area, parts of Halewood, some of Childwall by the Fiveways, Anfield and Everton.

Errmm thats all of Liverpool I've been to I know about.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Gerard

"Idiots in bars are the trouble. same in Old Swan, no trouble till the drunks come out to play at night."

Spot on Tony..same as Walton Lad..and Woolton where the Scals from surrounding areas would come in by the Bus Load to fight each other on a Saturday Night..
    The Everglades is it..I might be getting the Name mixed up..the one on the Corner by the Lights outside Woolton Woods..Not the Menlove end.
    My Mate had that Pub and another on Quarry St and he hated Saturday nights..
    Walton is just the Same..People from all areas bevvie there cause its Buzzin Over the weekend..I know..Cause I bevvie there now and again myself and used to play Pool for the Carrisbrooke....Great people up there.

Gerard

Those tower blocks In Woolton are the one of the only few things that look they were made In the 70's In Woolton.

What I consider Ghetto Is Toxteth, Dingle, Huyton, McDonalds Part of Aigburth, Belle Vale, Some of Garston(I like the park and Library area though thats not ghetto looking), Scottie Road, Old Swan, Broad Green, Lawerence Road/part of Picton Road end of Wavertree, some of Halewood, Speke except for the Retail area, parts of Halewood, some of Childwall by the Fiveways, Anfield and Everton.

Errmm thats all of Liverpool I've been to I know about.

I notice yer got my Scottie Rd in there Maxie Lad...Good fer you mate...Any Rogues gallery of Liverpool and we are Top of the List Mate..Dont forget Now

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast