Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Walton District

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Default St Mary's

The Weekend of the 13th and 14th September, the Tower of St Mary's will be open. I saw a promo for this whilst zooming past on the 68 today, could anyone clarify this?
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

PhilipG

That sounds like the Heritage Weekend where everything is open on just two days.
    So many places, so little time.
    There will be a booklet in libraries, and other places.

Thanks for the reminder Wallasey.

The heritage open day website was returning errors was returning errors this morning so in case it's a bit wobbly I'll quote the whole entry rather than just the link:

Parish Church of St Mary

Walton-on-the-Hill , County Road , Walton , Liverpool , Merseyside , L4 5PW

Description:

The Parish of St Mary, Walton is mentioned in the Doomsday Book, but there is evidence of a church here even further back than that. The shaft of the Saxon Cross, discovered after the church was blitzed, was re-erected in the church in 2000. The records of the church go back to 1586 and are usually kept at the Public Records Office in the city centre (William Brown Street). Samples of the records are loaned back to the church and are on display for Heritage Open Days. There will be an exhibition containing many photographs. The old grammar school next to the church dates back to the early 1600?s and is also open and is also displaying records of historical significance. The tower is open for people to enjoy the panoramic view. On Sunday 14th September, the Rector of the church will be giving a talk about John Holt who was the school master of the Old Grammar School and who opened the girls? academy in Walton Village.

Opening Times:

Saturday 13th September: 1030-1600
    Sunday 14th September: 1130-1500

Pre-Booking Required:

No

http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/d...ry/HOD008949E/

Default Quantum Records?

Hey all...I used to go to a good little indie record shop on Walton or County Rds every so often called Quantum,but recently when passing through I couldn't find it. Where did they move to? There was another second-hand only record shop on Carisbrooke Rd too,which has also vanished. Has that moved or just closed down,as there is one on the main road nearby. Is that related?

Dave.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

I was at the top of Spellow Lane by Walton Lane (EFC Store/Stadium) and saw that the old school/church is in the process of demolition.

Anyone know what the story is behind this??? No pictures sadly, I was on the 68!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

I have a real interest in Walton. I spent my childhood school hols at my aunties on Walton Lane, my mum was born in Fountains Road, off Walton Road, my dad was born in Lind St, off County Road, my brother lived at one time in Freeland Street off Walton Road, my daughter lives next to Walton Hospital, I work on Queens Drive, by the flyover (Breeze Hill) And looking back on my family tree, generations of my family where all married in St Marys (Walton Church) and the majority lived in Walton and Kirkdale all their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    I have a real interest in Walton. I spent my childhood school hols at my aunties on Walton Lane, my mum was born in Fountains Road, off Walton Road, my dad was born in Lind St, off County Road, my brother lived at one time in Freeland Street off Walton Road, my daughter lives next to Walton Hospital, I work on Queens Drive, by the flyover (Breeze Hill) And looking back on my family tree, generations of my family where all married in St Marys (Walton Church) and the majority lived in Walton and Kirkdale all their lives.
    my dad's side of the family are Waltonians .. Pugin st & Bousfield st off Walton rd, Barlow Lane, Ismay st, Emery st.
    My dad worked for years in Walton hospital.

George

my dad's side of the family are Waltonians
    Goodnight Pa,Night Jon Boy,Goodnight Ma Night John Boy ,ect, ect

Some of these streets mentioned - Lind, Ismay, Emery where the streets laid out by the Welsh building firm Owen and William Elias.... The initial letter of the roads off County Road spelling the firms name.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thats amazin info that ged, was told that by a supply teacher in formosa drive primary school in the 70s, we thought she was off her barnet,haha.Also like your info about scottie road, especially the theatre on the junction of stanley and scottie road,btw, ive got a photie of me at the cavern on the drums almost identical to yours....rock on pal!

Cheers barizla, you too
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Old Walton grammar school,buit 1613 closed in1871,there was a school on this site in 1548. It is used by St Marys now.

Arnot school and nursery

Old dwellings in Walton Village built 1905
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Very nice photos GD.

I like those old houses.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast