Did u ever get confused when u were a kid? I did, I used to think they were the same place:

Walton v Woolton

WALTON is going up against the likes of Woolton to prove it is the prettiest place in Liverpool.

Organisers hope the area’s floral displays could win it a coveted “in bloom” accolade in 2007.

Walton is joining the battle to be crowned North West In Bloom for the first time in its long history.

It is being backed by Liverpool council, and floral experts are hoping to transform the area with shrubbery, plants and flowers.

It is hoped the city’s latest entry will help Liverpool win the right to host the awards in Capital of Culture year.

Ron Molyneux, 76, a member of the Walton Development Trust Steering Group, said: “This is exactly what it needs – it will be like it was when I was a kid.

“We shouldn’t allow the 1% of idiots to ruin things for the 99% of people who live here.

“I want to get shops, pubs, local schools and churches all pulling together with the council to transform Walton into a bright and beautiful area.

“We should grab this chance for Walton to look good again, it’s a wonderful opportunity. People have been working very hard behind the scenes, so let us all give them the backing they deserve.”

The steering group has worked with councillors and groups including the Friends of Walton Churchyard, Friends of Walton Park, Walton Youth Project and Rice Lane Community Association to drive forward Walton in Bloom.

Young members of the In Bloom group will plant floral displays in pots and containers in Walton Village.

They also hope to plant window boxes, hanging baskets and pots along County Road and Rice Lane.

Cllr Marilyn Fielding, Liverpool’s executive member for housing and neighbourhoods, said: “Walton may be in competition with areas like Woolton Village, but it’s the city that will be the real winner.”

catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk