Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Walton District

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by customhouse View Post
    Talking about Walton. Is the Herbal Shop still there. AS youngsters we always went there for a Pint of Sars. And a packet of Woodies.
    They also sold Vimto as well as a load of other soft drinks straight from the porcelain barrels on the shelf behind the counter, The shop was in at the front of St Marys as I remember. There was another Milk Bar further down the road almost opposite the Hospital (Used to work there,the hospital), but it didn't have the character of the Herbal. I must agree with Walton not being what it was though. My wife and I were back in Liverpool in 2003 for the first time in twenty five years. We went to where I used to live (Sonning Rd off Richard Kelly Drive) and it looked like a slum. Houses looking decrepit and uncared for, some with windows boarded up,and worst of all. Not a tree to be seen. When we left it was a lovely road, the trees in summer would almost touch one another over the road making a tunnel, and the people that lived there took pride in the presentation of their homes....WHAT THE F*** HAPPENED???
    Sorry lad! the Herbal Shop went when the Queens Drive Flyover was built! The Town Hall also went too!

Phil: Thanks for the link, wont be working on it tonight ( )as I am going out but will start working on Walton tomorrow.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

I hate to bump and double post but the aforementioned Flickr update is now up and ready for you great guys to look at. A few questionmarks over some of the pubs shown there; more notably The Stuart.

Enjoy!

PS: Phill, the attachment was very interesting but the Walton Park I was talking about was Walton Park off Rice Lane. I should have been more clearer as to which Walton Park I requested some info on. In which case I do apologise for any confusion.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    I hate to bump and double post but the aforementioned Flickr update is now up and ready for you great guys to look at. A few questionmarks over some of the pubs shown there; more notably The Stuart.

Enjoy!

PS: Phill, the attachment was very interesting but the Walton Park I was talking about was Walton Park off Rice Lane. I should have been more clearer as to which Walton Park I requested some info on. In which case I do apologise for any confusion.
    You still haven't been clear enough.
    I've just looked at your photos (very nice indeed), but can see that you know Walton Park is another rather up-class Victorian housing estate.
    We all thought you were referring to a public park with flowers and greenery.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-01-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    You still haven't been clear enough.
    I've just looked at your photos (very nice indeed), but can see that you know Walton Park is another rather up-class Victorian housing estate.
    We all thought you were referring to a public park with flowers and greenery.
    Oh dear! Yes, I was talking about a small Victorian housing development off Rice Lane. Had I been referring to the park with trees and grass, I would have said "Walton Hall Park" as that is it's official name.

I think the next update will be on my side of the water; little can go wrong there one hopes!

Many thanks to everyone for sharing their local knowledge; this forum has been listed in the Bibliography for the Walton page.

All the best

Russ

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Oh dear! Yes, I was talking about a small Victorian housing development off Rice Lane. Had I been referring to the park with trees and grass, I would have said "Walton Hall Park" as that is it's official name.

I think the next update will be on my side of the water; little can go wrong there one hopes!

Many thanks to everyone for sharing their local knowledge; this forum has been listed in the Bibliography for the Walton page.

All the best

Russ

We know "Walton Hall Park" is its official name, but we were too polite to pick you up on what was thought to be a mistake.

Oh well; its done and discussed with now. Time to move on.

No hard feelings everyone!

Blog Entries

Default Walton

Youngsters brandish guns in vile gang internet video

Oct 24 2007 by Caroline Innes, Liverpool Daily Post

TWO months after 11-year-old Rhys Jones was tragically shot dead, youngsters from Liverpool are still glorifying gang violence and gun crime in shocking videos posted on internet websites.

The latest, posted on YouTube this week, shows members of Walton’s City Road gang showing off their arsenal of weapons – including different guns, knives, samurai swords, knuckle dusters and pit bull terriers – to a rap music background track.

After discovering the video, the Daily Post alerted Merseyside police. After reviewing the footage, they have now vowed to identify the individuals featured in the film and bring them to justice. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

But only after they've sorted out the paperwork mountain they've got.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Was round by the Black Bull yesterday...

Longmoor Lane, Warbreck Moor

When did the Aintree Institute go??? I was somewhat shocked to see that it was no longer with us!

Just incase some of you are wondering where this was taken, The Black Bull pub is just off to the left, and Tesco Metro is just behind me.

It happened in June (I know because I mentioned it on another thread). Very quickly - just over a weekend and without anyone seeming to have advance notice.

Have to say that it had been allowed to become a complete eyesore.

Thanks for that Geoff!!

Cant remember the last time I was round this way, Used to be often when going to and from Tynedale, but as I have come home pernamently, my acquaintance with this great part of the city has some what dropped!

Whats going to happen to the site?? For some reason, I don't see flats as something that would be built here, maybe a commercial unit???

Haven't heard of any plans for it Wallasey but I'll report back if I do.

Blog Entries

Spent the first couple of years of my life living with one Gran (and my parents) in Makin St off County Rd. Then with the other Gran in Phythian St, Kensington. Then a prefab in Speke before a house in Allerton.
    Served an apprenticeship at Dunlops in Rice Lane.
    So - lots of associations with Walton.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    Haven't heard of any plans for it Wallasey but I'll report back if I do.
    Thanks Geoff! Info would be appreciated if and when!

Sadly, being on the Wirral, I am not privy to such developments going on over the water; hence my surprise at seeing a derelict tract of land!

Default Any Links to Photos of Walton/Walton Hall Park/Walton Village?

Just recently heard about Liverpool being awarded City of Culture status and got nostalgic about the place, having left in 1977, so am trailing around t'Internet looking for photos (old and new) of the place I grew up in and its surroundings, namely Northcote Road, Walton. Does anyone have any quick links to sites with photos of that area (excluding this one, which I'm already exploring)?

A recent look at the area on Google Earth suggests that Northcote Infants/Junior School has gone - which saddens me deeply, it was a lovely building back in the day - as has the old railway tunnel near Beaconsfiled Road.

Many thanks.

Mike

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast