Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Walton District

some nice photos.spent many an evening in the Old Walton grammar school when i was a young lad as i come from round Breeze Hill,it was a youth club around 64, i would be about 11-13 then, had snooker table and table tennis and loved the place.i was at a wedding a few weeks back at the church and was standing outside the old school wondering what its used for,someone said something about it getting knocked down,shame if it is,is it still being used as club for the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by trips View Post
    some nice photos.spent many an evening in the Old Walton grammar school when i was a young lad as i come from round Breeze Hill,it was a youth club around 64, i would be about 11-13 then, had snooker table and table tennis and loved the place.i was at a wedding a few weeks back at the church and was standing outside the old school wondering what its used for,someone said something about it getting knocked down,shame if it is,is it still being used as club for the youngsters.
    Fine photographs, Joe.

One of my old black and white photos from 1964 is of the old Walton Grammar School. I'll try to scan it and post it soon.

I would be shocked if there are plans to knock the building down. It is one of the rare early survivals of Merseyside and Liverpool history.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Yes i said the same Chris, why would they want to knock it down,it still looks in good condition,prob they were getting mixed up with something else, what i did notice was the graves, i remember an old gravestone in the grounds of the church not far from the walls near County rd, one had a skull ,it was always a big talking point amongst us kids, and would be interesting if anyone knew the true story,one story was they died from the plague,another was they where pirates,someone said it was somebody who did black magic,., we had a good imagination those days.

Quote Originally Posted by trips View Post
    Yes i said the same Chris, why would they want to knock it down,it still looks in good condition,prob they were getting mixed up with something else, what i did notice was the graves, i remember an old gravestone in the grounds of the church not far from the walls near County rd, one had a skull ,it was always a big talking point amongst us kids, and would be interesting if anyone knew the true story,one story was they died from the plague,another was they where pirates,someone said it was somebody who did black magic,., we had a good imagination those days.
    Hi trips

A skull was just an old motif for death on ancient gravestones. Nothing to do with magic, the plague, or pirates. See this: "A death's head, often with wings and/or crossed bones, was a stylized skull. Some have speculated that winged skulls were intended to symbolize a combination of physical death and spiritual regeneration." From a site on 17th century New England grave iconography.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi, Chris, thanks for the info,well that clears that up.i still like my old version of the story better,.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi trips

A skull was just an old motif for death on ancient gravestones. Nothing to do with magic, the plague, or pirates. See this: "A death's head, often with wings and/or crossed bones, was a stylized skull. Some have speculated that winged skulls were intended to symbolize a combination of physical death and spiritual regeneration." From a site on 17th century New England grave iconography.

Chris
    Very interesting Chris,

Here's a gravestone example [1718] which shows a skull, crossed bones, heart, some vertibrae, something that looks like windpipe, a portrait of a persons face with wings set beside, representing either the accent of the soul, or the body's resurrection, and an hour-glass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heart.JPG 
Views:	430 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	16053  
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

i have just found this site and thread looking for the history of the old tennis courts
    i lived in haldane rd next to the old tennis courts and sadly there trying to open the access up from haldane side and build housing assosiation houses getting rid of the trees and wild life that has settled there my parents and sister still live in the strees but my mum was brought up as a baby in columbia rd round the corner but they are fighting to keep the exit closed and not build with out sucsess at the moment we are trying to find out more about the old tennis courts to help our case if any one can help would be sad to see it go

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

haha im in the pic at the top wow so glad i found this site

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567