Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allerton Area

Default Allerton Area

I visited the Allerton Towers Park in Allerton a few days ago. Near the old stable block, I found an interesting old tunnel. Anyone any ideas what it was for. It seems to lead to a small enclosed space. I wondered if it might have been an old ice house.
    Last edited by taffy; 04-16-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Blog Entries

No idea, I've been here too and took some pics here plus the out houses. Fascinating place
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I assume there must have been a hall there ?? I can't find any pictures of it on the internet. I wonder what it looked like ?
    I came across some family tree history about people who had lived at Allerton Tower but no info about the house.

Default Allerton Towers

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I assume there must have been a hall there ?? I can't find any pictures of it on the internet. I wonder what it looked like ?
    I came across some family tree history about people who had lived at Allerton Tower but no info about the house.
    I've not seen a photo of Allerton Towers either. I suspect there will be one available at the Liverpool Record Office at the Central Library, William Brown St

theninesisters

Source - Liverpool Record Office.

Attachment 1951
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Default Allerton Towers

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Source - Liverpool Record Office.

Attachment 1951
    Thanks for the photo Jona76 !!

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Thanks for the photo Jona76 !!

Thanks so much Jona at last we can see what it was like.

Default Springwood Primary School, Danefield Road

This school has recently been demolished. Does anyone know what the letters on the first picture stand for?

Stone Dec 2006

October 2003

March 2004

August 2006

Default Springwood School.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    This school has recently been demolished. Does anyone know what the letters on the first picture stand for?
    Possibly Springwood County School or Springwood Council School
    Last edited by taffy; 04-18-2007 at 08:06 AM.

So this school is in Allerton...I knew the nearby church is classed as Allerton, but I wasn't sure of the school (L19...postcodes, eh, very unreliable).

Default Springwood Allerton

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    So this school is in Allerton...I knew the nearby church is classed as Allerton, but I wasn't sure of the school (L19...postcodes, eh, very unreliable).
    Yes, as in discussions about Toxteth and Aigburth locations, post codes mean nothing other than they help the post office to deliver letters !!!

In rough terms, in this area the railway line is the boundary between Allerton and Garston but originally it was a stream which came off Mossley Hill itself and headed towards Garston and the River Mersey. There is a Garston district sign on Greenhill Rd sited directly on the railway bridge. This is one of the few new district signs that seem to be in the right place.

Interestingly Allerton Railway Station was actually just inside Garston !! Of course in these days of new district signs, West Allerton station is not in Allerton either but in Mossley Hill. Not true of course but that's another tale.

The names Allerton and Garston had legal defined boundaries as they formed townships in the Church of England parish of Childwall. these boundaries became the bounadries for in the mid 19th C for the newly formed Urban Sanitary districts and later ( 1895 or so) the Urban District Councils. I think Allerton Urban District council was absorbed into Liverpool as late the the early 1920s. Garston was absorbed in 1902.

My car is minging because of all the demolition! I was going to ask one of the builders if I could have one of the heading stones but they worked a bit faster than I thought and I came home one day to just see a big pile of rubble there

Does anyone know about any history of Druid's around the Druid's Cross area?

They owe me a spell book you see?

(note, I'm serious about the Druid question, the second sentence was for humor. )

Seems Druid;s Cross might be Wavertree though despite the area closer to Allerton. I found a link about an old girls school In Druid's cross and It said Wavertree after the writing.
    Last edited by Max; 04-18-2007 at 01:22 AM.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Druid's Cross Rd, Wavertree, Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Does anyone know about any history of Druid's around the Druid's Cross area?

They owe me a spell book you see?

(note, I'm serious about the Druid question, the second sentence was for humor. )

Seems Druid;s Cross might be Wavertree though despite the area closer to Allerton. I found a link about an old girls school In Druid's cross and It said Wavertree after the writing.
    There is no Druids connection with Druid's Cross Rd as far as I know. The street was named after a house and estate of the same name which occupied the area in the 19th C.

Druid's Cross Rd forms the Wavertree township boundary in this part of Liverpool. This has been discussed earlier in the Wavertree thread. I think the school you refer to was a Girls' reformatory. I suspect it was probably in the old Druid's Cross House

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast