Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone remember como shoes

Origionaly from Liverpool 1 now in Ireland

Cheers fatlegs,there brogues and yea not too far aprt from Como's
    I have a pair of Cheaney Brogues for years,also brilliant shoes from 70's

They are a million miles from Comos. Brogues were orginally country shoes, strong shoes for walking, very English built to last for years.The best are handmade from a bespoke last but there are very good ones in shops the most popular colour is brown. They have become popular again but never really went out of fashion.
    Comos on the other hand were a lightweight dress shoe.Sort of American/Italian fashion style of the Andy Williams Perry Como era when American casual ( hence the Ben Shermans) was the style.
    As those who had or wore them will confirm they were incredibly soft leather that shaped themselves to the foot flat soled and welt stitched.The most popular colour was black and they polished to a soft shine.
    Brogues polished to a high gloss shine. Oxblood Kiwi polish was the thing to use and can I say those black brogues would benefit from having shoe trees put in them to help them keep their shape.
    Comos were under a fiver,good brogues can be any price you want to pay.

Blog Entries

I have had a pair of Army Brogues for over 20 years and they're still like new, best shoes I've seen, they will outlast me ! Maybe I should take them with me.

fatlegs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_529004856_tp.jpg 
Views:	1209 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	24164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_529004552_tp.jpg 
Views:	1132 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	24165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_529004634_tp.jpg 
Views:	1137 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	24166hi savo found these on ebay usa not quite there but gettin close

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    I have had a pair of Army Brogues for over 20 years and they're still like new, best shoes I've seen, they will outlast me ! Maybe I should take them with me.
    Leather burns you know Marty
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

fatlegs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1012Z003-503__default__4.jpg 
Views:	1503 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	24167 i know these are suede but they are the nearest iv'e seen so far these are £85 from frank wright shoes at jacomo or zalando

fatlegs

these are on ebay now with 4 days left £15 quid at the mo but not my size:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_KGrHqJhoE7lIQheSeBOvGheb-60_1.jpg 
Views:	1530 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	24172 Item number: 290652528099
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by fatlegs; 01-02-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Leather burns you know Marty
    I've decided to get stuffed so my Brogues will look well as I stand in the corner !!

Dori,we do know the difference between Como and brogues,
    fatlegs is tryin to find smthn sim,but ta anyway.
    fatlegs your close with the suede ones,but better in leather Oxblood

everyone had a pair in the lodge lane area in the early 70s, the only problem was the soles were so thin, great shoes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Savo View Post
    Thanks Savo, I agree those suede are pretty close but those black US ones are not. As a sister with five brothers, the right clothes and shoes were a hot topic in our house. Everything from how shirts were ironed with sleeve creases in the right place, to which were the right shoes.
    My grandad had the handmade brogues very light tan size 11 huge things like boats, my dad, ex-army, was the one with the highly polished shoes, black wingtip or Oxford shoes with blue and grey suits, brown brogues with Prince of Wales checks etc.Later on his grandsons wanted his brogues because they were so well looked after.
    The brothers had the whole range from Chelsea Boots,desert boots, comos etc even had to be the right work boots.
    Suits were made to measure at Abrams,and tuxedos were worn when working the doors in city clubs.
    Grandads overcoat was a Crombie, he was over 6ft and it was incredibly long, as a kid you couldn't lift it off the hanger.Silk scarves, ties and caps etc were all carefully selected.Sports gear was strictly for the pitch and trainers for training.No slobs allowed

Blog Entries

I only ever wear desert boots, they are easy on the foot and wear well, getting a tad costly though, never heard of these como type though !

fatlegs

Quote Originally Posted by Savo View Post
    hi savo, i was at cardinal allen school in honeysgreen lane in the sixties and all my mates had comos but i couldnt afford them. i pestered me mum for weeks and eventually got some (mine were black leather by the way). i've been trawling around the net for months and the ones iv'e found nearest to the design are the black suede. i realise that they are not exactly right but not far off shape wise. have you looked at the oxblood ones on fleabay (i left the item number) the photos iv'e put on are small but if you look at the ad they are a lot bigger. good luck and if i find any i'll be back! hasta la vista

Cheers FL,we all had the same probs mate,askin yer ma for them,but we never had the money,
    first pair i bought was in oxblood,had to wait till i got a job before I got them and doc's,
    will check them out as per photo you posted mate,thanks.
    Dorri,you took me for a stroll down memory lane,thanks,
    benny pressed to perfection,red braces,crombie with tie pin and red hanky,tootal scarf,lee jeans,red socks,como's and doc's polished till you could see your face,and a blue wool skull cap,prefered them to the tam o'shanter,your spot on,we always looked sharp goin out,sat nights and sundays was dressin up days,2tone parralels or bakers,como's or tassle slip ons,benny or jaytex,sleeveless jumper,harrington jacket.sometimes you had tartan sown onto your turn ups on lee,wrangler jeans,but it stands the test of time,cheers dorri.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345