Thread: Crosby Baths

Default Crosby Baths

Went there a few times with the lads.

The high diving board was a great feature but I can't forget the day a certain young lady attracted a large crowd swimming underwater nearby to her. It seems that the water made her white bikini bottoms transparent and there was I, soft Joe lending out my Joe 90 swimming goggles left, right and centre when I should have been renting them out (after a quick peep of course)

I've done the Sefton Triathlon from the new sports centre and baths there, a couple of years ago.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At Crosby baths.jpg 
Views:	1673 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	1786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baths.jpg 
Views:	3198 
Size:	389.2 KB 
ID:	1787  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I remember that place!, The main baths was great but i never liked the small baths which was inside a 'shed'.

I remember the old baths especially the High board I must be going back over 30 yrs since I went swimming there. I go to the new baths now with my grandchildren.
    Once a blue always a blue

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

wow never thought i would see the old crosby baths again i miss it the new one is crap i used to remember swimming and seeing the reeds and beach out the windows felt so peaceful and mysterious as i was never allowed to see what was out there as my mum just walked toward the station once we left

Very good pics and information, Ged. Never went there myself but I know these photos will please a lot of people who did.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Ta very much for the photos- I got the strongest pang of nostalgia when I saw them. I lived about a half-hour's walk away off Endbutt Lane. I queued up for ages with my mates to get into the baths on the very day it opened. It was a very hot day, I recall. It was the flashest place imaginable to us kids at the time after the freezing old-style baths we were used to.
    Yes, that high board was amazing, as was the view out of the windows from it. I remember storms lashing against them while we were warm and snug inside. Did my first high dive from there, of sorts- after a couple of spectacular and painful belly flops! I don't remember ever being told off for mucking about up there- how we managed not to break our necks I don't know!
    I remember being very impressed at the time with the bath's cafe- I even (all of a sudden) remember how it smelled in there! It had lots of tanner-in-the-slot dispensing machines for drinks and sweets, which I don't think I'd ever seen before..
    The last time I went there, it was all looking very rusty. Lots of the lockers didn't work and it all seemed very run down. It was only many years later that I returned to Mariner's Road- to see the Gormley statues on the beach- and was amazed to see the new baths standing there in its place. Not been in the new place though. It seems much smaller...
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Smile

I remember that old place,

It was rusty and run down when I first went there must be 17 -18 years ago now with primary school. The best thing about the place was always the diving boards had so much fun on them.

I remember with pain the first time I went off the high board. It was the day after my TB injection at high school and it hurt like hell when I hit the water. Was amazing though.

The new place looks pathetic in comparision was going to go there but when I look through the window to only see a puddle on the floor that they have the cheek to call a pool I gave it a miss.

I do miss the public pools with diving boards, wish they would bring them back but its probably H&S again.

Are well was good whilst it lasted.

I used to love this place, remember being gutted coming home one day and being told it was shut! Can anyone remember the specific reason? Seem to recall it being pretty urgent H&S matter. Anyway I managed to sneak in after it had closed and took a few photos, I'll see if I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by sebas_back View Post
    I used to love this place, remember being gutted coming home one day and being told it was shut! Can anyone remember the specific reason? Seem to recall it being pretty urgent H&S matter. Anyway I managed to sneak in after it had closed and took a few photos, I'll see if I can find them.
    Remember it well myself too.!

You were issued with coloured elastic wristbands with keys for when it was busy the attendants would chuck you out when your time was up.

It was certainly hi tech at the time to balliol rd baths!

From memory it was closed due to concrete cancer with the steel reinforcing bars showing through and rusting away.

Rob

Default FOND MEMORIES!

I LIVED JUST A FEW MINUTES AWAY, SO SPENT LOTS OF WEEKENDS IN THERE. I REMEMBER IT TOOK AGES TO ACTUALLY GET IN THE WATER COS IT WAS ABSOLUTELY FREEZING. I PUSHED MY OLDER SISTER IN ONCE WHEN SHE COULDNT SWIM - SHE'S HAD A PHOBIA EVER SINCE - OOPS! WE USED TO THROW OUR KEY INTO THE 12 FOOT AND DIVE FOR IT, KEEPING OUR EYES OPEN - THEY WERE BLOOD SHOT FOR DAYS AFTER. SOON AS OUR KEY COLOUR WAS CALLED TO GET OUT, WE WOULD SNEAK AROUND TO THE SMALL POOL WERE IT WAS ALWAYS LOVELY AND WARM. BUT WE COULD ONLY SNEAK IN IF MRS MOTT WASNT TEACHING A CLASS. OTHERWISE WE WOULD HAVE TO GO UP 2 SPECTATORS PART WERE WE WOULD GET A CUP OF HOT SLIMEY SOUP FROM THE VENDING MACHINES. I ALSO REMEMBER COCKROACHES IN THE CHANGING ROOMS, AND WAITING AGES FOR A CUBICLE THAT STILL HAD A CURTAIN UP THAT WASNT RIPPED OR MISSING. BUT I WOULD STILL SWAP THE NEW FOR THE OLD, ANYDAY!

I've done a few triathlons in the new one, I don't think it has any character at all inside. Nice low level spaceship design from the outside though.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.