YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 6 of 10

Thread: Canada Boulevard

  1. #1
    Gerry Jones Gerry Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Broad Green
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Canada Boulevard

    Can anyone tell us what has happened on Canada Boulevard, in particular the Memorial Plaques to Canadian ships which used to grace the maple trees which have now been chopped down?

    If they have been safely stored during the digging of the canal and the building of the new Museum of Liverpool Life, then fine. But if they have been ditched or dumped then it would be an absolute scandal, and an insult to the memory of all those Canadians.
    Gerry (Liver Bird) Jones.


    ADVERTISING



  2. #2
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    48
    Posts
    712
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Jones View Post
    Can anyone tell us what has happened on Canada Boulevard, in particular the Memorial Plaques to Canadian ships which used to grace the maple trees which have now been chopped down?

    If they have been safely stored during the digging of the canal and the building of the new Museum of Liverpool Life, then fine. But if they have been ditched or dumped then it would be an absolute scandal, and an insult to the memory of all those Canadians.
    Gerry (Liver Bird) Jones.

    It's an insult that they are replacing the Canadian maple trees with Norwegian ones.

    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  3. #3
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,913
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Why are they replacing the Canadian Maple trees with Norwegian ones?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  4. #4
    Gerry Jones Gerry Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Broad Green
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Maple TRees on Canada Boulevard

    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Why are they replacing the Canadian Maple trees with Norwegian ones?
    Good news, folks. I've just had a "horse's mouth" answer from the Canadian High commission, in full detail.

    "In reviewing the plans for improving the Liverpool waterfront, it is clear that Canada Boulevard also needed refurbishment, as it was starting to look tired, mainly as a result of the selection of the particular variety of maple trees which were not coping well with the unique climate conditions associated with the Merseyside waterfront."

    ...and later in the email, they say;
    " Regrettably the trees have not faired so well, as the Canadian native variety of maple tree is not adapting to the unique climate conditions of the Merseyside. Therefore, the City of Liverpool is replacing them with a variety of maple tree more suited to the climate conditions (Norwegian maple). This should be relatively seamless to all but the keenest of arborists, and it will ensure that future visitors will be greeted with a lush boulevard of mature maple trees befitting a memorial. "

    ... and further down again;
    "their plans call for Canada Boulevard to be modified slightly to encompass a double row of maple trees on one side (single on the other side) thereby increasing the total maple trees from 52 to 92. The current protocol of dedicating pairs of trees will be retained with the current ships plaques, all of which appear to be in very good shape.
    Suffice to say, that the City of Liverpool is most genuine in their desire to improve and maintain Canada Boulevard."

    So now we know why they were taken down, why they will be Norwegian, there will be lots more maple trees, and how it's not an insult, and that the Canadians are very happy with the City's plans.
    Good news all the way, and the plaques are safe and in good nick.
    Gerry.

  5. #5
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    48
    Posts
    712
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Jones View Post
    Good news, folks. I've just had a "horse's mouth" answer from the Canadian High commission, in full detail.

    "In reviewing the plans for improving the Liverpool waterfront, it is clear that Canada Boulevard also needed refurbishment, as it was starting to look tired, mainly as a result of the selection of the particular variety of maple trees which were not coping well with the unique climate conditions associated with the Merseyside waterfront."

    ...and later in the email, they say;
    " Regrettably the trees have not faired so well, as the Canadian native variety of maple tree is not adapting to the unique climate conditions of the Merseyside. Therefore, the City of Liverpool is replacing them with a variety of maple tree more suited to the climate conditions (Norwegian maple). This should be relatively seamless to all but the keenest of arborists, and it will ensure that future visitors will be greeted with a lush boulevard of mature maple trees befitting a memorial. "

    ... and further down again;
    "their plans call for Canada Boulevard to be modified slightly to encompass a double row of maple trees on one side (single on the other side) thereby increasing the total maple trees from 52 to 92. The current protocol of dedicating pairs of trees will be retained with the current ships plaques, all of which appear to be in very good shape.
    Suffice to say, that the City of Liverpool is most genuine in their desire to improve and maintain Canada Boulevard."

    So now we know why they were taken down, why they will be Norwegian, there will be lots more maple trees, and how it's not an insult, and that the Canadians are very happy with the City's plans.
    Good news all the way, and the plaques are safe and in good nick.
    Gerry.
    Sorry Gerry, but I personally find that unacceptable. Norwegian maple trees on Canada Boulevard? I think somebody has forgotten the whole point of the Canadian maple trees.

    I should point out this is not an attack on you Gerry. I consider you a fine fellow.

    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  6. #6
    Member Genevieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I agree with you A.D. Williams. I hope the boulevard won't be renamed before 2008 as it doesn't sound enough europeen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canada Dock Scrappy
    By scouserdave in forum Liverpool's Maritime and Docklands
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @LiverpoolInPictures / Join the Facebook Group: Liverpool In Pictures (YO! Liverpool)

YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain. If you like the website, please donate via PayPal!