View Poll Results: Should Liverpool build 'L.A.' type Skyscrapers?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 48.28%
  • No

15 51.72%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Liverpool build 'L.A.' type Skyscrapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    It looks different from every angle. The finish is superb.
    When we first saw the plans for it, I thought it was disappointing and looking like the Showcase cinema !! ha! but I am open minded about it now. Things sometimes need to grow on you.
    Still not sure, but it needs looking at from different perspectives as you say. Will probably like it much better once it's open and active.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

Liverpool One is just another shopping Mall of no distinction - built over a historical innovative Dock that could have been partially excavated to act as a focal point. That is obvious and too easy to think of.

The shopping mall is good but it was insane to build over the historic dock

They should have made much more of it. It would have been fantastic to have excavated a good part of it.

Insane to build these stupid towers.

If you like Boston go live there.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Had a walk around town yesterday,and Liverpool's looking Great!

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I agree on the Old World charm comments, though the new museum, being black, didn't seem to distract very much from the cityscape viewed from the river when I saw it unfinished last November.
    Agree with what you say but you must be getting the new museum building mixed up with the black granite apartments next door to it as the new museum is white.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

You know what Ged thank god for people like yourself with your website. Soon it will be the only way of seeing what Liverpool was like. Our history is being taken away, nothing is being done to remember the Liverpool people. Are identity is being wiped out.

When its done I hope you are all happy.

Valletta in Malta. Go see what they have done there. Its fantastic. They have preserved the history and made a great city. Not tried to copy America. Its fantastic there and no need for high rise jokes.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Thanks Spike. I'm glad the website can let people see or remember what it was like but I have to admit to being proud last week when I looked down river, or is it up river from New Brighton and saw that big liner in and all the talls (or tallish's) behind it. It does add a sense of density and a bustling hive of activity feel to what was once what looked very low level from that angle.

Perhaps though, they could have started the talls smaller, either side of the 3 graces, gradually getting taller as they span out North and South and so drawing the eye to the original Pier Head as I wouldn't want them getting lost in the midsts.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Red face Black or White...

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Agree with what you say but you must be getting the new museum building mixed up with the black granite apartments next door to it as the new museum is white.
    OK... I'm really confused now...

It looked black when I saw it, but is the final color white? If so, I liked the black version best...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3xn-liverpool-museum8.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	16161
    I think this was how I saw it...

Name:	reflected_construction_reversed.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	16160

My mistake - get the black paint out - should only take a few thousand gallons...

Perhaps though, they could have started the talls smaller, either side of the 3 graces, gradually getting taller as they span out North and South and so drawing the eye to the original Pier Head as I wouldn't want them getting lost in the midsts.

That's a great idea.... sometimes the old buildings can get overwhelmed, and there is no going back....

From New York...

Name:	st-patrick%27s-cathedral-nyc.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	16162

The difference with Liverpool and L A tall buildings they look as if they will last, ours look like they have a 40 year life span like all our modern buildings.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Had a walk around town yesterday,and Liverpool's looking Great!
    I always get a sense of excitement now when I walk around town, and the waterfront is certainly exciting. I rave on it every time we go there. I'm just so proud of how Liverpool is looking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post

Valletta in Malta. Go see what they have done there. Its fantastic. They have preserved the history and made a great city. Not tried to copy America. Its fantastic there and no need for high rise jokes.
    I take your point there Spike. I can imagine that Valletta must be fantastic while preserving history. I love places like that - the cities in Malta, Italy, Spain, etc,

I have to agree that it's not necessary to copy USA.

... but still, I can't help but love some of that bling !

I'm sure you could have the best of both worlds. What about Barcelona ? hasn't that got a good mixture of the two ?

Thanks Spike. I'm glad the website can let people see or remember what it was like but I have to admit to being proud last week when I looked down river, or is it up river from New Brighton and saw that big liner in and all the talls (or tallish's) behind it. It does add a sense of density and a bustling hive of activity feel to what was once what looked very low level from that angle.

Ged, that's the idea I'm thinking of - not too clogged up with too much clutter like some of the more built up cities of the world, but a nice balance spanning out either side of the Pier Head.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    The difference with Liverpool and L A tall buildings they look as if they will last, ours look like they have a 40 year life span like all our modern buildings.
    That thought has crossed my mind GD.

As much as I love our new stuff, I did wonder to myself if it will be there when my son is a grandad

Here's the ugly precinct we were talking about !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6260031.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	880.5 KB 
ID:	16173  

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast